What's new

Sony 755 SACD hook up (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
My friend just picked up the Sony DVP-NS755V SACD/DVD player. The guy at Best Buy told him he needed the 5.1 cable to listen to SACD's. My friend already has a coax cable, but the Best Buy guy said it wouldn't work for SACDs.

Is this true (that he needs the 5.1 cable rather than the coax) to play SACDs? It sounds to me like the guy was just pushing a cable that my friend didn't need.

MichaelTa

Agent
What are needed are 6 analog cables with RCA connectors on the ends. One cable for each of the 5 and .1 channels coming out of the SACD player. These go into the 5.1 inputs on the back of the receiver. There are many different brands for the interconnects and its usually a personal preference. If you only want to watch dvd's then all that is needed is a digital out either coax or optical for the sound and a video or svhs for the video. SACD will not output digital on that SACD player only analog.

Leo

Second Unit
And if you just want to listen to it in 2 Channel, then if there are a pair of analog out (L/R) next to the 5.1 analog out, you can use them.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
He definatly wants to hear SACD. Is this true for all SACD players or just this model? Is it true for DVD-Audio too? I am considering the Denon 2900 myself.

Leo

Second Unit
True as in you can only hear SACD via the analog out channels? Well I know the current players are all that way with the exception of the Pioneer DV-47ai which has a firewire out port that connects to the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi and does out the SACD signal in the digital realm. I'm sure others can chime in on other players (upcoming or current) that output via the digital connection.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony 755 dvd/sacd player. Its a great piece of equipment.

Yes you need 6 additional cables or interconnects to play SACD's $$$$$$ (smile)

Sacds come in several flavors...some have a 2 ch stereo tracks build in and can be played on normal 2 ch cd players. Check before you buy if this is a concern.

Sacd with 2 ch built in can be played with two cable analog or the coax or optical cables if you like.

NO DSP stuff works with SACD, normally, but the 2 ch can be played with in DSP modes.

A comment on SACD quality....I have Norah Jones 2 ch cd and the new sacd.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I just attended a Norah Jones concert and was very unhappy with the sound quality at this concert....very boomy and Norah's voice was lost in the kick drum bass.....sad.

Listening to the SACD on my 6.1 system was better than being at the concert acoustically!! THe SACD made he difference!!

Alex

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Yes you need 6 additional cables or interconnects to play SACD's $$$$$$ (smile)
I have that player and I use 2 Radio shack gold 3 way (a/v) cables for the SACD analog connections. It wasn't that expensive.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Larry: Except for that Pioneer "i" series combination, ALL sacd & dvd-audio players output their signals--multichannel & stereo--through their analog outputs.

This is a (dumb!) copy protection feature.

LJ

Dan M~

Second Unit
Reviving an old thread...

Just getting around to connecting my DVP-NS755V for SACD. I've been using only the coax digital connection for DVD audio. When connecting the 5.1 analogs for SACD can I keep the coax connected? What setup changes do I need to make to the player? I'd like to keep the DVD playing through coax and use the receivers decoder. My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5150.

Thanks ahead of time...

Dan M.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
When connecting the 5.1 analogs for SACD can I keep the coax connected? What setup changes do I need to make to the player?
yes, you can keep and use both connections.

most likely your pre/pro/receiver is like most and no bass nor time management is applied to it's analog external inputs. so any and all bass and/or time management that you want to apply to the player's ANALOG output must be made in your player.

likewise, the player's bass and time management settings are NOT applied to the digital output; only the pre/pro/receiver's settings.

Dan M~

Second Unit
ScottCHI, thanks for responding.

New question, since SACD can be either 5.1 and/or 2 channel, will I need to connect the stereo outputs to the receiver as well as the 5.1? Thats nine cables running from the DVD to Receiver!

Thanks again for the help,

Dan M

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
You should be able to use the same L/R outputs for your main speakers, regardless of whether you're listening to 5.1 or 2.0.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why do they have a separate stereo connection AND the m/c outs on these players? On my universal and SACD players, I tried both the stereo and L/R from the M/C outs and got essentially the same stereo sound from each, so why not just eliminate the stereo output and have one use the m/c L/R? Are there differences in how those outputs are handled internally in the player?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Why do they have a separate stereo connection AND the m/c outs on these players? On my universal and SACD players, I tried both the stereo and L/R from the M/C outs and got essentially the same stereo sound from each, so why not just eliminate the stereo output and have one use the m/c L/R? Are there differences in how those outputs are handled internally in the player?
good question. i've wondered the same.

my denon manual actually says to use one set for a 2-channel system and the other with a mutichannel system. but i've checked and there's no difference in how those outputs were handled in the player; bass and time management was identical for both sets.

i think i decided it was to help avoid consumer confusion.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
my denon manual actually says to use one set for a 2-channel system and the other with a mutichannel system. but i've checked and there's no difference in how those outputs were handled in the player; bass and time management was identical for both sets.
Hey Scott....remember debating this a while back? A bit of a surprise (well, for me, anyway) that the L/R pair were just copies of the L/R set in the 5.1 outs, BM and all.

Which really blows!

Say you had a 2CH recording, and wanted to have an unmolested (ie. Not Bass Managed) pair of outputs? Maybe you wanted to route that to your pre/pro or AVR so you could use PL II, DTS, or whatever? Or maybe you just wanted to play a 2CH disc over a pair of full range mains?

No dice, because you would likely be using BM in the player for MC sources, and there you have it. A L/R pair devoid of low bass.

Now, in my case, I CAN do that w/o loss of bass because I run my player all large + sub, and use a ICBM for BM. As such, I do have both a 5.1 and stereo pair connected for the reasons sited above.

But for those that use BM in the player, you don't have the luxury, nor can you typically do any processing of the 5.1 inputs.

A shame really, as an un-altered L/R pair would be very, very useful.

BGL

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i agree, bgl, i'd love to be able to run un-managed stuff to my zone2.

people with non-hirez players that are digitally connected don't really have this problem; they can simultaneously feed an unmolested analog signal to zone2.

Dan M~

Second Unit
OK, now I'm confused...

I hooked up the 5.1 connections and no sound. Since I had an extra set of connectors I connected the 2 channel out puts to the receiver and "Music"!!!

The only SACD disk I have is "Boston", and it appears to be only 2 channel SACD. The 755 indicates its playing SACD.

I have not had time to sit down and go through the 755's setup menus to see what configurations are available that way. If anyone is familiar with the DVP-NS755V setup menus, I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks again for all the help,

Dan M~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks