Sony 444es, Sony 222es and more questions with SACD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Shane Martin, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

My birthday is in early May and I mentioned that I had heard about a couple SACD's hoping to drop the hint that I wanted an SACD player for my birthday. Well apparantly she got the hint and I'm doing some research to present the financial end of this deal to her to clinch it [​IMG]

My current setup involves:
    Sony 444es Reciever with 1 analog 5.1 input
    Sony 7es cd player hooked up via optical
    Sony 530d dvd player via coaxial digital
    Phillips Tivo/DSS setup via optical
    Pioneer 604 Laserdisc player via coaxial

I was thinking about the players and saw it appears to be that the Sony 222es sacd changer is down to $499 MSRP now or atleast that Crutchfield has it for that price. I've emailed OADE about one and will find out tomorrow I'd imagine. I've also seen then on Ebay for $250-$300.

So a couple questions:
    I would assume I need 6 analog intereconnects for 2 and 5.1 channel listing correct or do I need 8 total if I want to do both?

Does anyone know if there is any bass management on the analog 5.1 input of the 444es? I assume NO. Do I really need it? My mains play down to 22 as it is. They are going to be replaced this year(I hope) so this MIGHT be a problem later. I do have a very capable subwoofer.

Does the 222ES have any promo SACD's in the box?

Should the 222es be a better redbook player than my 7es? If so I guess I can sell it as it still has part of the warranty left(I think) and has very little use. I think I coudld get about $100-150. Maybe not.

Anyone owned both the 7(0) or 8(0) es and the 222es and could tell how much taller it is or are they the same?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Shane,

I have the 222ES with the DA5ES here in Tulsa area.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Shane, I'd take Dan up on his offer. [​IMG] The 'V444ES does not have bass management on the 5.1-channel inputs (few receivers do). However, the 'C222ES performs bass management, so you could set it on the 'C222ES. You can't adjust the crossover frequency, but you can set the speaker configuration. Given that your mains are rated down to 22 Hz, you probably won't need to adjust the bass management, though. Just set the 'C222ES to multi-channel direct.

You can use six RCA cables to handle stereo and multi-channel SACD. Stereo SACD tracks will be played through the front and left jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs. Of course, you run a digital cable to play CDs, but try the analog outputs. By the way, the 'V444ES has analog bypass on the 5.1-channel inputs by default.

I had a 'C222ES in my second system for a little while last year, but unfortunately, the carousel drawer was not behaving. I ended up exchanging it for a 'C555ES. However, I found the 'C222ES to be an excellent audio component for the money. I also had the Sony 'CA80ES at one time, and the 'C222ES is a bit taller.

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Looks like I'm going to PM/Email Dan and See how it goes [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan and Rich, although the my front and rear speakers (Energy e:XL 16) only go down to 50 Hz), I use multi-channel direct on my 'C555ES. I have no complaints with this setting. I simply wanted to avoid extraneous processing.