What's new

Sonicblue files for Chapter 11? (1 Viewer)

Leo

Second Unit
Read on Slashdot.org this morning, but here is the link to the Reuters posting:

Sonicblue Chapter 11 filing

So the question is what does this mean for us users? Do we own a paperweight or can I record things without the subscription service?

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Ya, this really sucks. I just ordered a unit, and it should be arrving anytime today.

edit: I just spoke with SonicBlue, who informed me that there would be no interruption in the program scheduling, and that it will continue on as normal. She stated that subscribers wouldn't notice any change.

edit 2: I guess I'm screwed on the mail-in-rebates.

Roger Li

Grip
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy does not mean that the company is closing up shop. To the contrary, a Chapter 11 allows a company to temporarily stop paying creditors while it prepares a plan of reorganization. This plan must be approved by the Bankruptcy Court, and is designed to allow the company to restructure its debt, pay off its creditors, and continue operating. It is obviously not a good sign, but I'm not worried yet. Hopefully they will be able to emerge from Bankruptcy and continue operating.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Roger, they are selling off their assets. Here's a quote concerning ReplayTV...

SONICblue also announced that it has signed a non-binding letter of intent with D&M Holdings Inc. (TSE II: 6735), the Japanese parent company of audio equipment subsidiaries Denon Ltd. and Marantz Japan, Inc., pursuant to which SONICblue proposes to sell the assets comprising SONICblue’s ReplayTV and Rio business units for $40 million,
...hopefully D&M Holdings will continue on with the service, and maybe even the product development.

I hope D&M maintains the drive for cutting-edge products. Sonicblue produced my two favorite consumer electronics devices; the hard drive-based MP3 player for the car (the Empeg) and the hard drive-based video recorder (ReplayTV).

I have followed these two devices since their inception; I really hope D&M continues to produce new products and support current ones.

The C/NET article:

http://rss.com.com/2100-1047-993647....feed&subj=news

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
They now have Denon, Marantz, MacIntosh(sp?), and now ReplayTV and Rio - that's pretty damn diverse!! They should have great cash flow for taking some lumps with Replay, as SonicBlue took all the hard knocks of R&D, marketing, and high price point roll out. Should be easy pickins' now!! I look forward to it : )

Matt

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I've only had my ReplayTV since late night Friday...and I'M IN LOVE! I've got two more days before I have to register...which I will do, no-doubt. I've got some channels set up (which yall will probably laugh at...) Saved By The Bell, SBTB: The College Years, The Wonder Years, Beverly Hills 90210...:P More to come...

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
You beat me to it Patrick. I still wonder if I'll see any of my rebate money that SonicBlue supposedly set aside to cover all rebates.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Now if D&M or Microsoft would just buy out RCA (Thomson) & take care of all the quality issues with their products maybe we could get an inexpensive Quality "FLAT" 38 inch HDTV :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks