What's new

Songs You Messed Up The Words To (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I always thought John Cougar sang "That's when a spoke was a spoke."
Wow. Up until 5 seconds ago, I thought the same thing. I always wondered what the hell he was talking about. Figured it was something to do with bicycles.
When I was younger, I thought "I'm your venus" was "I'm your penis." The rest of the lyrics still fit. My parents set me straight on that one in a hurry.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was 12 when it came out, but I could have sworn that on Top Gun, Kenny Loggins was always saying I went to the danger zone...
Then when I got the DVD my girlfriend heard me singing it and said, "I think he's saying Highway to the danger zone.... I'll be damned.
I love the Reverend Blue Jeans comment!
biggrin.gif
Classic!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Adrian J says:
'I always thought John Cougar sang "That's when a spoke was a spoke." I still listen to Cherry Bomb and can't believe it's "That's when a sport was a sport!"'
Funny, I thought it was, "That's when a smoke was a smoke." I don't hear anything about "sport" in there.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
My wife was mortified to discover that "Luke did it with Jack and Diane" was NOt the opening line the john Cougars ditty...although it certainly puts a better spin on the storyline ! LOL

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the classic from Jimi Hendrix:
"'scuse me, while I kiss this guy " (wahr-wahr-wahr...)
:)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
This one's for the oldies in the crowd....
When "Walk This Way" first came out, it was a howl listening to what my adolescent friends THOUGHT were the words...
And more recently: Blues Traveler - "But Anyway":
The newsman saids not to sit on strange toilet seats
It's my life he's trying to save, but anyway
That's when a "sport" was a "sport" ???
huh ? Gimme spokes any day.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
The Monkees song 'I'm a believer': Until recently, I thought the line "When I needed sunshine I got pain" was "When I needed sunshine on my brain."
The author of a book about mis-heard lyrics thought the line from Row, Row, Row Your Boat, "Life is but a dream", was 'Life's a butter dream."
Another famous one: The Beatles Lucy In the Sky line "The girl with kaleidescope eyes" mis-heard as "The girl with colitis goes by."
Bruce Cockburn's "If I had a rocket launcher" has been heard as "If I had a rocking lawn chair."
Finally, my favorite: A friend's young daughter used to sing the song "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" as "Don't It Make My Brownies Smooth."
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)
[Edited last by Jon_Are on October 05, 2001 at 10:26 PM]

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm an '80s child, and when I heard Madonna's "La Isla Bonita" on the radio, I thought she was singing, "Last night I dreamt of some bagels." Hey, it made since to a seven year old! I finally heard the real lyrics when I bought the CD many years later.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit
It's funny that someone else mentioned Smashing Pumpkins: I was just thinking somewhere around Mellon Collie Billy Corgan's lyrics went from mumbled vagaries to definable words, and subsequently I lost interest in the band.
To this day I think he is saying "Open your eyes to this mustard love" in the song "Rhinoceros."
I think in general your brain will create more interesting lyrics if you don't hear them correctly. It's definitely more fun.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Justin you mean it isn't "Last night I dreamt of some bagels"?
Sheeet, La Isla Bonita will never be the same for me now.
I'm really disillusioned!
ps. I always thought Donna Summer was singing "Nappy Love" over and over again in her classic disco hit "I Feel Love", and I can still swear thats what she's saying, the little minx!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
My Madonna revelation was difficult for me too, Steve. I'm still working through it, but my therapist assures me that the toughest times are behind. With enough time and couseling, you'll get to that point one day too, I hope.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
My wife was mortified to discover that "Luke did it with Jack and Diane" was NOt the opening line the john Cougars ditty...although it certainly puts a better spin on the storyline ! LOL
I never got the line about the Tast-e Freeze until after I actually saw one of those restuarants when I was in college. I can't remember what I used to think he was singing.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

DennisHP

Second Unit
"That's when a smoke was a smoke"... like before pot became more mainstream and cigarettes were really cigarettes and not a joint being passed off as a cigarette.
How about AC/DC "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheep"? I used to think it was "Dirty Deeds Dunder Chief". I had no idea what I was singing. Maybe it was the smokes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks