What's new

Song.....you complete me! ......or.......What movies contain a scene that is made perfect by the sou (1 Viewer)

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator
I was listening to my iPod the other day and Donavan's "Season of the Witch" came on and I immediately flashed to the closing scene of 1995's "To DIe For" with Nicole Kidman. I remember sitting in the theater and being completely captured by the combination of the visual and Donovan's music. Usually I am up and out of there at the end of the movie but I remember sitting thru the entire closing credits watching Nicole (I think) ice skate to Donovan.

Another movie that did this for me was "Kelly's Heroes". It was a silly little movie but the final scene with the Mike Curb Congregation singing "Burning Bridges" as Kelly's captain walks into the blown out bank and sees the "up yours baby" graphic on the bank wall thrills me every time I see it on the satellite.

Both of these are closing scenes with credit scrolls but I wondered what scenes others thought were made perfect by the sound track. I watch "Rescue Me" on FX and have noticed that over the last two or three seasons they have been paying a LOT of attention to the music especially the closing number. Frequently I will find myself on iTunes downloading the closing number after the show is over.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Aimee Mann's 'Save Me' at the end of Magnolia is one of my favorites.

The Sopranos had tons of great music but I think my favorite song at the end of an episode (I think it's Cold Cuts from the fifth season) was when they used The Kinks' 'I'm Not Like Anybody Else'. Tony's sister was telling him how she wasn't an angry person anymore and he started pushing her buttons by bringing up her estranged child. She gets pissed and tries to stab him with a fork and he leaves happy having proved that she is just as miserable as him. As he walks down the street, the song comes up and plays over the credits.

And it's Illeana Douglas skating at the end of To Die For (I love that example too).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey - The Blue Danube Waltz accompanying the voyage of the Pan-Am space clipper is one of my favorites.

- Walter.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

2001: A Space Odyssey - The Blue Danube Waltz accompanying the voyage of the Pan-Am space clipper is one of my favorites.

- Walter.
That 'symbiosis' truly is a masterpiece. And IMO the works of Ligeti (in particularly, Atmospheres) are also very well matched in that film. I like these words relative to the composer: "Ligeti himself said that he intended the listener to become lost in the depth of the texture and tone and become completely oblivious to the passage of time." The Gayne Ballet Suite of Khachaturian is also a remarkable work, especially the way it is used in the film.

I think my all-time favorite would have to be Herrmann's work for Fahrenheit 451. The score is ethereal and other-worldly, and as a result the film inhabits a sound world like no other I have ever heard. The opening work in 7/8 is worth the price of admission.

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by TravisR ">[/url]
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]
Aimee Mann's 'Save Me' at the end of Magnolia is one of my favorites.

The Sopranos had tons of great music but I think my favorite song at the end of an episode (I think it's Cold Cuts from the fifth season) was when they used The Kinks' 'I'm Not Like Anybody Else'. Tony's sister was telling him how she wasn't an angry person anymore and he started pushing her buttons by bringing up her estranged child. She gets pissed and tries to stab him with a fork and he leaves happy having proved that she is just as miserable as him. As he walks down the street, the song comes up and plays over the credits.

And it's Illeana Douglas skating at the end of To Die For (I love that example too).[/COLOR]

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Quote:
David Chase even made Journey listenable with "Made In America".

Journey is always listenable!

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator
I consider Clint Mansell's music for "Requiem For a Dream" to be one of the all-time great fusions of music and film.

The piece called "Marion Barfs" is the strongest moment, musically, in the whole film, IMHO. The momentum, the camerawork, and the editing makes for an amazing, intense two minutes of film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks