Song ID for someone with good ears

Discussion in 'Music' started by Greg_S_H, May 22, 2010.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Can anyone make out the song at about 3:30? You can hear it clearest around 5:00.

I love that kind of atmospheric, Floydian/Troweresque stuff, but I'm not sure what this is.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Not sure - this site may help - http://www.fanforum.com/f27/70s-show-music-thread-62768372/

3. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Greg_S_H,

I just saw this thread today. I can't identify the work, but at around the 5:00 mark, it is sounding in E minor. (FWIW, this happens to be the same key used for the tune Breathe by Floyd.) The two most prominent notes to my ears are the note E in the bass and the note F-sharp in the higher-sounding guitar above this fundamental (the latter note sounding at either a ninth or a sixteenth above, depending on the octave, which I can't quite make out from this clip). I don't know if this will help or not, but I thought I would at least mention it. :)

After listening to this a few more times, it really does sound like Pink Floyd.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    This is my first time watching the show, and after a number of episodes, I've come to the conclusion that it is music created specifically for the show. I didn't believe it at first because it's hard to capture the exact sound and feel of '70s music, but whoever makes the music here does an incredible job of it. Assuming, of course, that that's what's happening and it's not just some obscure Robin Trower or Brand X song. Ha.

By the way, I used to slag this show off when I just caught bits and pieces, but it's got me hooked in right now. I like that it's very serialized, unlike earlier sitcoms.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. And, thanks for the link, Paul. The people in that thread didn't identify that piece, which is more support for the theory that it's original music.