What's new

Something that REALLY ticks me off is when............ (1 Viewer)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
quote:At work, we have to park on a heavily parked on street. There is one spot on the whole strip no one will park.

In Miami you have to look at every parking space under a tree to see if it's full of crap from birds. What a mess...

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
Something that REALLY ticks me off is when............

a thread title is so vague you have to click on it to find out what the hell it's about.

wink.gif

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
count me in too! can't stand it when people do that.

but what i just can't get is the fact that they'll suck this stuff *straight* into their lungs, but they are unwilling to keep the cigarette butt in their vehicle?
rolleyes.gif

------

a murder of crows? haven't heard that one. let's see:

gorillas = troop

dolphins = pod

geese = gaggle (or something like that???)

and of course, all the herds, schools and flocks.

sorry....TOTAL thread fart there....

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
quote:That would be a "murder" of crows

I've seen that mentioned in a few places, but curiously, it's not in the dictionary. In contrast, most collective nouns such as a "pride" of lions, are listed. And it's not like a "murder" of crows is a new term; I've seen it listed as correct usage for over 20 years.

Maybe it's in Oxford's Unabridged Dictionary?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
From dictionary.com:
quote:mur·der (mûrdr) n.
--The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.
--Slang. Something that is very uncomfortable, difficult, or hazardous: The rush hour traffic is murder.
--A flock of crows.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"a thread title is so vague you have to click on it to find out what the hell it's about."

Ahhh...the master plan worked.
biggrin.gif

And good point Ted.

Well....I'm definately glad that other people feel the same way but I still can't understand why people do it. It's littering even if it's small. And if you do it all the time you're essentailly emptying your ashtray every week on the side of the road but just doing it slower.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
How about this: do you think it's inconsiderate to spray your windshield washers when you're next to another car? I've gotten sprayed a couple times just after I've detailed the car. Of course, it's not as bad as the cigarette tossing, but I wonder if there is such thing as wiper etiquette.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
quote:How about this: do you think it's inconsiderate to spray your windshield washers when you're next to another car?

I do that on my rear window when people are tailgating. The nicer cars back off fast.....
biggrin.gif

I'm not a jerk either. I usually drive pretty fast and will get out of the way when I can.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I had started a similar thread a year or so ago when I saw someone walking into the grocery store, throw his butt on the ground, and didn't even have the courtesy to stamp it out. All of this took place about 2 feet from an ashtray/trash can.

I think smokers have every right to smoke if they want. But, once it starts affecting the quality of life of others....

quote:How about this: do you think it's inconsiderate to spray your windshield washers when you're next to another car?

The Dodge Omni (best car ever made, btw
wink.gif
) came equipped with an acorn nut type nozzle to wash the rear windshield. A simple 180 degree turn of this nut an you've got an instant squirt gun for tailgaters!
biggrin.gif

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
quote:The Dodge Omni (best car ever made, btw ) came equipped with an acorn nut type nozzle to wash the rear windshield. A simple 180 degree turn of this nut an you've got an instant squirt gun for tailgaters!

LOL. I need that for my car, especially for when I'm driving down the road in front of my apartment building. The posted speed limit is 15, I go about 25-30, and I still get people tailgating me. I swear a few times I thought I was going to get rear-ended as I slowed down to turn left into the parking lot in front of my apartment building.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I was always amazed when I would see folks throw light ciggs out a car window in California during the dry season. Ever watch the news out there dumbasses? Maybe one of the occasional stories about the out of control wild fires?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I do take the consideration of looking for an ashtray, though.

How about the one in your car?

Why do so many smokers think the world is their ashtray? Not just the street, but sidewalks, pool decks, beaches... if you did the same thing with other trash in front of people they'd be shocked.

I often drink a can of diet coke in the car, & if I finish it on the way into a store, I'll toss it in the trash. Imagine if I just threw the can on the ground right outside the door in front of everyone, like smokers do. I'd probably have a dozen people yelling at me for not using the trash can.

Of course the answer is that most smokers aren't very considerate of others.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
quote:Not to mention, it could fly into someone elses car and start a fire, causing them to get into an accident. Like in "Reality Bites"

When I was on an Air Force AWACS crew we regularly flew into Nellis AFB, Nevada. They usually didn’t have room for us on base so they put us up at an “off the strip” hotel that most tourists wouldn’t be caught dead in.

When in flight suits we’re very careful to maintain our professional and courteous image. So here’s a van of us driving down the Vegas strip with our windows down when our driver (a Sergeant) flicks his burning cigarette butt out the window right into the backseat floorboard of an elderly couple’s Cadillac.

The elderly lady riding shotgun in the Cadillac looked up at our driver but was unaware that the cigarette went into their backseat. Just as I decided that we better let them know of the impending flames, the light turns green and they’re gone and lost in traffic.

We could’ve killed our driver. Fortunately, in the military we have disciplinary measures at our disposal when someone reveals himself to be an incompetent, inconsiderate, negligent idiot. We plan to unduct-tape him from the vertical stabilizer sometime in 2006.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
quote:A simple 180 degree turn of this nut an you've got an instant squirt gun for tailgaters!

No turn needed if you own a 2 door Acura Integra. I even turn on the rear wiper so that spray get spreaded out wider. I doubt James Bond's car has this feature.
thumbsup.gif

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Sort of makes you wonder if that weirdo in LA about 10+ years ago (there was a report or maybe even an urban legend) about some guy who'd shoot other people on the freeway. I wonder if someone flicked a butt at him.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Also guilty, also from Buffalo. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that are city very much feels and looks like the inside of a trash can?

quote:What if it lands in a patch of dry grass and starts a fire

Patch of dry grass? That would be possible if it wasnt wet and grey every day of the year.

quote:What if you cigarette is flicked back in someone's eyes?

If somebody here is driving with there window down.. they are probably in the process of tossing there own ciggerette butt out of the window.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
25 or 30 years ago one of my wife's aunts and her husband were moving (just starting out) and had all of their possessions in the back of a truck. They flicked a cigarrette out the back and only noticed their stuff was on fire while crossing one of the major NYC bridges. They blocked traffic for an hour or so and still have the only thing they saved, their marriage license, framed with singed edges, hanging on the wall.

In one section of Raliegh, there is a 5 lane road with a median that runs for 3 or 4 miles. In the summer, the local fire station gets more calls to put out cigarrette median fires than any other tyoe of calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks