What's new

Somebody please help me on the IMAX Blu-ray thing.. (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I know that TF2 IMAX is going to be a Wal-Mart exclusive. I have seen IMAX movies, and get the aspect ratio is different (wider), and the sound is typically better. What I don't understand, is what that has to do with Blu-ray. Are they changing the aspect ratio to where you'll have wider black bars on top and bottom? I guess if so, my only problem is my HDTV is only 32 inches (don't have alot of room in my basement), so perhaps it's not for me. I guess I just don't understand, and if somebody could help me I'd appreciate it.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Actually, a true IMAX movie has a smaller aspect ratio (i.e. it's closer to 1.85:1, or more "square" shaped than a typical scope movie at 2.35:1). And the sound isn't necessarily better, but it definitely is louder. It's still a 5.1 mix, but has many more speakers providing a louder overall soundfield.

My guess is that this version will be like the Blu-Ray for The Dark Knight - any scenes that were originally shot using IMAX cameras will have the matte opened up, so that the image fills the screen (actually resulting in smaller black bars, or none if you're watching on a widescreen TV). The rest of the film will be shown in it's regular theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (or thereabouts).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by JeremyR

Hmm.. that sounds rather annoying, the aspect ratio changing mid-movie.

I thought the exact same thing, but in the instances where an entire lengthy sequence was shot in IMAX it wasn't nearly as distacting as I thought it would be. It was more noticeable where only a short, establishing shot (like an aerial view of a building) was IMAX, then everything else surrounding that shot was regular. Even so, the movie itself had me pretty much engrossed, so I wasn't paying attention to the changing aspect ratio.

The image clarity of the IMAX scenes in TDK was astonishing - particularly the opening heist sequence. Granted, I was watching on a large front projection system - the difference may be less noticeable on a 32" set.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
No, I didn't. I was one of the few that didn't like The Dark Knight particularly, so I didn't bother renting. But it might be a good idea to do so to check it out.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Well, I will be getting either a much larger flat panel, or a projection in a couple years when we move, so I should think to the future. I just simply unfortunately, don't have the room right now. My audio system is already over kill down there. :)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

The image clarity of the IMAX scenes in TDK was astonishing - particularly the opening heist sequence. Granted, I was watching on a large front projection system - the difference may be less noticeable on a 32" set.
On my 32" 1080i tv the IMAX scenes in The Dark Knight looked fantastic so I can only imagine what they look like on a larger display.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The Dark Knight imax sequences were amazing.

Also What is TF2?

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Transformers 2.

I guess the more correct abbreviation is T2, but then folks might be getting it confused with another, better movie. ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by JeremyR

I know that TF2 IMAX is going to be a Wal-Mart exclusive. I have seen IMAX movies, and get the aspect ratio is different (wider), and the sound is typically better. What I don't understand, is what that has to do with Blu-ray. Are they changing the aspect ratio to where you'll have wider black bars on top and bottom? I guess if so, my only problem is my HDTV is only 32 inches (don't have alot of room in my basement), so perhaps it's not for me. I guess I just don't understand, and if somebody could help me I'd appreciate it.
The aspect ratio of IMAX is approximate 1.34, basically the same as the classic ratio of Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and Casablanca. From there it can be cropped and conformed as desired.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks