Some VERY bad new about bilingual covers

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sven Lorenz, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

I just got the MASH Season 4 boxset from a Canadian retailer and there's a big red circle on the cover with the words "Piste sonore francaise et jaquette francaise / anglaise reversible incluses" (French soundtrack and reversible french/english cover included) - so we can take Fox off the "safe-list" regarding french covers.
    Now I have to reorder the set from amazon.com and put this garbage up on eBay. [​IMG]

Edit:
    Please close/delete this post.
    I've found out that Fox always supplies two versions - one with an English cover and one with a bilingual cover.
    My retailer just sent me the wrong one.
    Sorry. [​IMG]

2. MikeHughes

MikeHughes Agent

Hmmm, what's all the fuss about bilingual covers? i don't really care about covers being french. [​IMG]

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

yeah...I don't get it either. Why is it a problem?

4. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

One word: UGLY!

5. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Exactly. That's why I buy my DVD's from America, so I can have nice, original artwork.

6. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

It says the cover is reversable, right? Just reverse it to the English side. What's the issue?

7. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

The reverse side also features French?

8. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    In Canada, in regards to reversible covers, the usual way is predominately english (poster art etc) with french caption in brackets on the front, and english and french on the back (with english being the "first" on the top/left side.)

The reverse side is reversed, french on the front poster art, with english captions, with the back cover being french on the top/ to the left.

It doesn't make much difference, just that the caption/ features on the back cover tend to be smaller to fit it all in both languages. No one know why they don't print an all english side, and all french side, as that would be preference to both english and french speaking consumers.

I can't believe that people would special order DVD, or pass on buying a title just because of bilingual packaging..

10. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

11. Sven Lorenz

Another correction - my supplier has now informed me that there is NO English-only version of the fourth season of MASH.
    So my original statement stands - FOX is off the 'safe-list' for non-bilingual covers.
    So apparently every FOX DVD cover from Canada will from now on have an English side with a big red circle stating "Piste sonore francaise et jaquette francaise / anglaise reversible incluses" and a French side with the same circle in English.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I will check tomorrow, if this is indeed the case... hello Amazon.

13. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I'm not fond of bilingual covers either. Aesthetically it ruins the cover and it makes trying to trade/sell the title on here or eBay difficult.

14. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    HI,

15. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

the only real part of the cover i don't like in french is the spine. usually if the french title is on a black bacground (which it usually is 75% of the time) i take a black marker and just cover it - it works most of the time.

16. Sven Lorenz

17. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

What's really lame is they decide to apply the bilingual covers in the middle of a set.

So Canadians who purchased the first 3 seasons, will now have bilingual covers to make for an inconsistent display on their shelves. My brother's not going to be happy about this.

18. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

that's why dvdcoverart tries to offer the English-only cover for titles that are released with bilingual covers in canada [​IMG]

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Put me in the camp who dislikes bilingual covers. I have no problem if they include an all French reversable cover, but keep the advertising about it off the cover art. That's what stickers are for, and for that matter, why not print it on the security sticker?

20. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If one side were French, the other English then there'd be no issue. But what he get is both languages on both sides, just in a different order.

It's hard to comprehend how someone can actually get paid money to make a decision like this.

I check all pre-orders before I order. Anything bilingual, I order from Amazon. It usually doesn't work out any more expensive for me.