What's new

International SOME UNIVERSAL SCI-FI FROM KOCH MEDIA IN GERMANY (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Perspecta is an interesting gimmick, but I think it's a much better idea (and a more pleasing result) to remix Perspecta soundtracks into true stereo.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'd like to hear the films as they were presented when first released. There was no magnetic stereo print offered to exhibitors on THIS ISLAND EARTH so Perspecta is the way to go.

Don't let some ignorant internet discussions bashing Perspecta discourage you from the process. As I mentioned, unless you've heard it on a big screen with proper equipment controlling both panning AND gain control, you haven't really heard it.

It was developed by C. Robert Fine of Fine Recording: a legendary audiophile.

There's a big reason why MGM, Paramount, Universal, Allied Artists and Warner Bros. used it: it's VERY effective!

Perspecta-4.17.54.jpgweb.jpg

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im really content with my Sci Fi classics collections from Universal ...id rather those entire sets get HD treatment... Tarantula does sound very tempting... This Island Earth is definitely one Id get in HD :)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received The Monolith Monsters from Amazon Germany today. I guess the bad news for some is that this BD is region B locked. The rest of the news is pretty good. Crisp, HD picture with nice contrast. Clean print with little wear. Sound is fine and you can choose either English or German track. It also has German subtitles if you want them and a 2.0 apect ratio. It has German and American trailers. I am looking forward to Tarantula in June.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
How are the compositions in 2:1?

At the time of that production, U-I was alternating between that ratio and 1.85.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
David Steigman said:
Im really content with my Sci Fi classics collections from Universal ...id rather those entire sets get HD treatment... Tarantula does sound very tempting... This Island Earth is definitely one Id get in HD :)
At one point, I understand that Universal was planning a classic Sci-Fi blu set to follow up on classic monsters. That project seemed to have gotten shelved.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have been revisiting some of the films in the DVD set during the past few days. The Monolith Monsters, Tarantula and Monster on the Campus have very good picture quality and are in 4:3 so it will be interesting to view them widescreen. The Incredible Shrinking Man looked much worse than I remembered and was very soft, due to all the process shots I suppose. The Land Unknown looks better but is a dull film, probably needed Doug McClure!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Bob Furmanek said:
How are the compositions in 2:1?

At the time of that production, U-I was alternating between that ratio and 1.85.
Hey, Bob. It looks fine to me, like it may have been composed for 2.0. The titles are perfect, headroom looks just fine. Nothing looks cramped at all.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's good to know, thanks John!

I ran a 35mm print years ago but I can't remember if we went 2:1 or 1.85.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
JoeDoakes said:
At one point, I understand that Universal was planning a classic Sci-Fi blu set to follow up on classic monsters. That project seemed to have gotten shelved.
Among others, I had frequently posted hopes in various threads that such a set would be coming, and listed the titles I hoped for. You probably saw our wish lists. I do not ever remember seeing that Universal was actually planning it (unfortunately).

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Just noticed THE MOLE PEOPLE (IN DEN KAULEN DER TIEFE) is up over at Amazon Germany, this one will come in a black BD case. It will be released April 17 and will be a "limited edition".

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
I'd like to hear the films as they were presented when first released. There was no magnetic stereo print offered to exhibitors on THIS ISLAND EARTH so Perspecta is the way to go.

Don't let some ignorant internet discussions bashing Perspecta discourage you from the process. As I mentioned, unless you've heard it on a big screen with proper equipment controlling both panning AND gain control, you haven't really heard it.

It was developed by C. Robert Fine of Fine Recording: a legendary audiophile.

There's a big reason why MGM, Paramount, Universal, Allied Artists and Warner Bros. used it: it's VERY effective!

attachicon.gif
Perspecta-4.17.54.jpgweb.jpg
I was watching The Hidden Fortress ( Kurosawa ) on satellite television ( Film4) recently, the titles say it used Perspecta sound.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, Toho used it on a number of the Kurosawa films and the Criterion releases of them have included it (or a recreation of it) along with the mono.

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Tarantula is from Koch but the 2 Limited Edition titles , The Monolith Monsters and The Mole People are being released by I-catcher.
Strangely the LE tag is not showing on those on Amazon Germany at the moment.

Tarantula is also much cheaper than the other 2

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched The Monolith Monsters today and was pleased with the blu-ray presentation. The 2:1 AR worked well except for a couple of brief moments when it looked a bit tight. I really like this film as it is a change from the usual creature-feature. I will be ordering Tarantula but will pass on The Mole People and The Land Unknown. The one I really want next is Monster on the Campus (excellent picture quality on the DVD).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Keith Cobby said:
I watched The Monolith Monsters today and was pleased with the blu-ray presentation. The 2:1 AR worked well except for a couple of brief moments when it looked a bit tight. I really like this film as it is a change from the usual creature-feature. I will be ordering Tarantula but will pass on The Mole People and The Land Unknown. The one I really want next is Monster on the Campus (excellent picture quality on the DVD).
THE LAND UNKNOWN? Where did you hear about that one?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have just watched the blu-ray of Tarantula and am very happy with the image quality, which is excellent, and the overall package. There are two versions of the film, 1.33 and 1.78, and overall I slightly preferred the 1.33. There is the occasional softer spot due to the process photography.

Having recently reviewed the Universal Sci-Fi DVD set, Tarantula has one of the best picture quality in the set and this may be why it is one of the first to be released on blu-ray. If indeed this is the case I am hopeful that Monster on the Campus will follow soon.

The Tarantula disc includes a good feature on Jack Arnold and an extensive series of photographs, posters and press book extracts. In fact my only disappointment with the package is that it came in a blue box rather than the blood red one on amazon.

Thanks to Koch, can we have more of the same, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks