What's new

Some problems... (1 Viewer)

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I'm running into some problems hooking up my surround sound system.

1. I CAN get the radio to work. But NOTHING on the television seems to be working. I've never done this before so I'm probably missing something obvious. Everything is plugged in as far as I can tell, and I know the receiver and the speakers are working, because the radio sounds great. Tell me what you need to know to find out the problem...

My receiver is a Yamaha 5590 and I have a set of PSB speakers (2 pairs of 4Ts, 9c and Sub6i). My television, if it matters, is a Phillips.

2. The Subwoofer. The receiver has only one plug for it. The best way to describe what I'm trying to say is you know how audio is white/yellow? The receiver only has a black one. The Subwoofer seems to have a left/right setup on the back (and I believe it IS yellow/white). I plugged it in and it DOES work, but won't I only be getting one sided base? I.E. I'll get completely left sided explosions or something?

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!

Ok. So I got it routed through the VCR ok... BUT... my television DOES have monitor out jacks and it doesn't seem to be working through that.

Let me make sure I'm looking at things right...

This is how the television is set up...

Monitor Out / Component Hookup (AV1) / S-Video Hookup (AV2)

And on the side is the front Hookup (AV3, or FRONT)

There are only three AUX stations. AV1, AV2, and FRONT.

So... I'm assuming the thing that says MONITOR OUT would be the correct place to plug in the audio cables from the receiver... right? Now, if it makes a difference, I don't have a video cable to hookup the monitor out to the receiver. Could this matter? Would it make the sound not work? How everything is now, things only work THROUGH the VCR, meaning I have to plug the XBOX, DVD, etc. through the VCR... making the picture kind of crappy in the process.

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure this is the television I have (I'll have to go home and check). Unfortunately I don't think I have the manual any longer.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Philips_27PS60S

My Receiver is a Yamaha 5590.

My TV (I think) is a Philips 27PS60S 27 in.
It has 3 inputs, 1 output, and 1 RF (duh).
A/V Composite Inputs- 1 (side)
A/V Outputs Composite- 1 (rear) (Labeled Monitor Out)
S-Video Inputs- 1 (rear)
Number of RF Jacks- 1 (rear)
Number of Component Inputs- 1 (rear)
I'm not sure what the others are labeled, but I can go check if it's necessary.

My speakers are PSBs 2 pairs 4T, Sub6i, 9c

I'll be hooking up the following...
VCR (PVV4524S)- I may want to have this hook up to the front ports of the receiver, because it may be traveling back and forth between two televisions (if I can get this problem fixed, anyway). The VCR actually only came with a regular RF cable. No A/V cables at all. Luckily I had an extra.

The XBOX (also the DVD player). Component Video Hookups.

The Gamecube and the Playstation 2 have a shared S-Video Hookup.

I want to use the HT system for everything-- TV, VCR, and Video Games/DVDs.

If I missed anything, let me know. :)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
One thing to double check --

For video from the VCR including broadcasts tuned in via the VCR, and for video from the DVD player, connect the audio outputs of these devices to your A/V receiver and you should get the sound OK.

For tuning in broadcasts using the TV itself, you must have audio output jacks on the back of the TV. Connect these to an unused slot or bank behind your A/V receiver. Otherwise the only way to get TV sound is from the TV's own speakers.

If your receiver has only one output jack to feed the subwoofer, it probably combines all the channels. The lowest bass frequencies are quite non-directional so with one subwoofer positioned near the front center of the room you probably won't notice anything lopsided or one sided. The sound including the medium low frequencies from the other speakers will give the proper directional effects.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Is there anyone that can help? I have a great HT system and can hardly enjoy it. :frowning:

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Tim:

Re: the Subwoofer--there is no left/right run an audio cable from the SUBWOOFER OUT on the back of the receiver to an INPUT on the subwoofer (left or right, it doesn't matter)

The key to hooking up cables from a receiver to components is to hook an OUTPUT on the component to an appropriate INPUT on the receiver. For example, a DVD, or XBOX, or even a LASERDISC will have a VIDEO OUT jack that may be composite (yellow RCA), or S-video, or Component, or DVI, etc. That output would plug into the same type jack INPUT on the receiver labeled for that component. The audio works the same way, except you have a choice of using a digital output, or an analog output that is hooked to the corresponding input on the receiver.

On the back of the receiver there should be a video OUT that will go to a INPUT on the back of the TV.

Does that help?

Bob

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Tim,

For audio, connect the OUTPUT of your A/V source (DVD player, CD player, cable box, etc.) to an INPUT on your receiver. If you ever plan on listening to your TV speakers, connect the audio OUT from your receiver to the audio IN on your TV (on your receiver, audio OUT L/R jacks may be labelled MONITOR.

For video, there are two basic options: feed video directly to the TV or through your receiver. If you do it through your receiver, you have the advantage of doing video switching with your receiver (instead of having to change the input on your receiver AND your TV). However, you also have to use more cables.

IF you want to route video through your receiver, connect the VIDEO OUT from your source to a VIDEO IN on your receiver (be sure it's the same input that you connected the audio to). Then, once all your components are hooked up, you will need a separate cable for each type of video connection (this isn't true if your receiver up-converts).

If your receiver doesn't do up-conversion, then take note of what types of video connections you are using. For example, if your DVD player is hooked up with component, your XBOX with composite and your VCR with S-video, you will need a component cable, composite cable and S-video cable from your reciever's MONITOR OUT to your TV's VIDEO IN.

If your receiver does up-convert, you may only need one connection to your TV (component in this example).

If you don't want to route video through your receiver, you can simply connect the VIDEO OUT on your source to the VIDEO IN on your TV for each of your sources. However, you may find that you don't have enough inputs on your TV, in which case you may need to route some of the video through your receiver or buy a switch box.

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

Then, hooking up the audio cables from the Monitor Output on the television, to the TV input on the receiver should work, shouldn't it? That should be the main hookup so all television sound goes to the speakers, right?

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Yes, you can do that. It sounds like you don't have a cable box, correct?

Yes, but I would suggest that you connect your DVD and VCR audio directly to your receiver (instead of to your TV and then to your receiver).

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

That's what I did. But hooking up the television to the receiver directly isn't working, so I started this post to see what I was doing wrong. THAT is the problem. But it works if I connect the television to the VCR, and then to the RECEIVER. But then EVERYTHING has to go through the VCR. Which sucks because then my S-Video / Component Video cables are useless.

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Tim:

Lets try to get everything working OK.

Can you post your equipment, and someone can tell you exactly which cables go where.

We need:

Receiver Make and Model # (YAMAHA 5590, right?)

TV Make and Model # (and what kind of jacks you have on the back, and what their labels are)

ALL of your components you are trying to hook up. CD, DVD, Laserdisc, VCR, PS2, tape, phono, whatever you have, again Make and Model.

We know you don't have a cable box. We know you have PSB speakers (2 pairs of 4Ts, 9c and Sub6i).

I'll be glad to help you out if no one else gets your answer before I get back to the forum.

We'll get you there, hold on!

Bob

JimMAC

Agent
Some televisions (like RCA) have software configurations that enable or disable output on the video and sound jacks. Sounds like you have tied the sound output of your TV to your receiver input, but have no sound through the receiver-speakers. So either your TV is not sending a signal, or the input labeled TV is not working on the receiver (you have this input selected properly on the receiver, correct?). So test the TV input jacks on your receiver by running another component such as your vcr that you know works to the TV input. Select the TV input on the receiver and play the vcr to see if you get the sound. If this functions, then the problem is isolated to your TV out jacks. It is possible that these could be disabled if the internal speakers of the TV are being used. Check your manual for the TV closely and see if there is some info on the use of the monitor output jacks.
Best of luck.
Mac

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A broad overview and summary to hear the sound on the room speakers:

For DVD player video: Connections go from the DVD player (output) to the A/V receiver (choose an input) and also from the A/V receiver (output) to the television (input). Component video or S-video preferred, composite (yellow jacks) video will also work.

For DVD player audio: From the DVD player to the A/V receiver. No additional cables needed to be connected to the television.

For VCR video: From the VCR to the A/V receiver and also from the A/V receiver to the television.

For VCR audio: From the VCR to the A/V receiver, no additional cables needed to be connected to the television.

For broadcasts tuned in by your television: Video: No connection to A/V receiver needed but you can leave the cables used for the DVD player and VCR in place.

For broadcasts tuned in by your television: Audio: From the television monitor outputs to the A/V receiver, I/m sure your receiver has another input, perhaps labeled AUX, not used by the DVD player and VCR. You do not have to disconnect this when using your DVD player or VCR.

Caution: If you want the sound from the room speakers but your wife or children want the sound from the TV speakers, it may get more complicated and you might need switch boxes. I assume this is not what you want to accomplish. It is easy to have the sound always on the room speakers and it is easy to have the sound always on the TV speakers, but not your choice of speakers for each source, DVD, VCR, etc.

JimMAC

Agent
This may be your TV manual...

Manual?

Don't see anything about turning off speakers and such, but there is a strange note on page 24 that...

If you are using a mono device, use only the audio L/Mono jack. If a dummy jack is plugged into the audio R, no sound will be heard. ??

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
One topic no one has mentioned directly yet, is regarding the speaker settings (and this relates to the conversation regarding the subwoofer)....

On A/V receivers (I think most), you can set speakers as either "large" or "small". If you set a speaker to small, than any sounds below the crossover frequency of the receiver will automatically be routed to the subwoofer via the sub/lfe out channel.

I think conventional wisdom is that you usually should use small for everything unless you have a big a$$ speaker with built in subwoofers.

Here's ana example of how this is important....and its one small exmaple and other will chime in with many more.....

Take Tarzan CE DVD.....I think it is labeled as 5.1 when in reality it was encoded as 5.0. This means that there was no bass information on the .1 track.....all base information was "folded into" the other channels.

If you have really capable speakers and you are set to "large" you would be fine. But if you were set to large and you had small speakers, they probably wouldn't be able to handle all of the bass, and would miss most of it. Similarly, if you had large speakers, didn't have a subwoofer, and set your speakers to small, but told your receiver that you did have a sub hooked up, then it would send the bass info to that output, but it would not get played.

I am probably making this seem quite complicated, but the term for this is "bass management". Do some searching, if necessary, after going back to the manual for your receiver and read the sections on speaker/sub setup to make sure everything is set fine.......

sridhar

Auditioning
Tim,

You should connect the Receiver's 'Monitor Out' composite (using a RCA cable) to the 'Video input' jack on the TV.

With this connection you can connect all source components to the Receiver (like DVD, VCR etc). You then switch the source on the receiver to view them.

Note - On some TV's you will need to change channels to AUX-in (or AV1) to view the DVD or VCR.

To avoid having to switch on the VCR & Receiver everytime you just want to watch TV, you could do the following connection using a simple RF splitter (1-input to 2-outputs)

Cable (wall socket)-> RF splitter -> RF-in (75ohms) on TV rear

Connect another cable from the 2nd RF splitter output to the RF-input on the VCR. Then, connect Video & Audio output cables from VCR to VCR1 input on the receiver. To watch the VCR, you will need to switch to VCR1 on the receiver. The sound will come out of the speakers connected to the receiver and NOT on the TV. This also allows you to record TV shows on the VCR while watching the same or different channel on the TV.

Hope this is not too confusing. javascript:smilie(':)')Best luck with ur connections !!

:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks