What's new

SOME LIKE IT HOT.... on 5/10... from FOX??? (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
yes, but i think the specs are for a blu ray book, still leaves plenty of billy wilder for Criterion to work with.

Currently this is up for pre order at walmart, dont know if it is an exclusive, but Fox/MGM does have some exclusives coming to walmart, sort of the running trend, 5 or 6 titles only at target, then 8 or so at best buy, and now well that is the way it goes.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yes Fox. Fox has had an agreement for some years now to distribute catalog MGM titles. However that deal is set to expire later this year and I believe MGM wants to start distributing through Sony. Last I heard it wasn't yet resolved which entity will distribute futre MGM releases.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I can't remember where (maybe Home Media Magazine?), but I was reading this week that MGM wasn't all that happy with how Sony released their titles last time they had distribution rights and they were still talking with Fox about them continuing to do so.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

I can't remember where (maybe Home Media Magazine?), but I was reading this week that MGM wasn't all that happy with how Sony released their titles last time they had distribution rights and they were still talking with Fox about them continuing to do so.

There was a report in the LA Times

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

The talks are very strong with Fox and the tide has turned away from Sony in regards to the MGM library. Sony will still more or less get the distribution rights to new MGM films, such as the Bond. I think the MOD program that Fox started has gone a long way with MGM on Fox interest in handling their catalog. Also Fox has been very successful in the European DVD market.

I would hope that once this is settled to be either Fox or Sony, both companies re-look at their MOD programs and try to market it better and not be so secretive with new releases.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok so now i am baffled, is there two different releases for this , a digibook and non digibook, Amazon shows a MSRP of 19.00, walmart is showing a 34.00 does not seem like the same release.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Still looking for an update on this, and a review of the quality of the Blu-ray. Anyone?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
MGM has been VERY late sending review copies during the past few Blu-ray release groupings. And sometimes they don't send review copies at all even though they're requested.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark Walker

MGM has been VERY late sending review copies during the past few Blu-ray release groupings. And sometimes they don't send review copies at all even though they're requested.

Correct. I got a solicitation e-mail for 5/10 releases just yesterday, and it asked me to prioritize since they wouldn't be able to send all the titles. (The e-mail listed 10 BDs.)

"Some Like It Hot" isn't a digibook, at least not if the cover art in the e-mail is to be believed. No price listed in the e-mail...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, here's the entire MGM 5/10 release slate:

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904232056

Rating: PG-13

Total Run Time: 186 minutes

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE SYNOPSIS:

Eerie, shocking, daring, thrilling and mesmerizing, The Manchurian Candidate “will leave you breathless” (People)! Featuring an all-star cast, including Angela Lansbury in an Oscar®-Nominated performance, this “chilling and controversial” (Leonard Maltin) film “may be the most sophisticated political satire ever made” (Pauline Kael).

When a platoon of Korean War GIs is captured, they somehow end up at a ladies’ garden club party. Or do they? Major Bennett Marco (Frank Sinatra) can’t remember. As he searches for the answer, he discovers threads of a diabolical plot orchestrated by the utterly ruthless Mrs. Iselin (Lansbury) and involving her war hero son (Laurence Harvey), her senator husband (James Gregory) and a secret cabal of enemy leaders.

HOTEL RWANDA FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904232117

Rating: PG-13

Total Run Time: 121 minutes

HOTEL RWANDA SYNOPSIS:

Don Cheadle gives an Oscar® Nominated performance in this “profoundly affecting” (Houston Chronicle) true story of one man’s brave stance against savagery during the 1994 Rwandan conflict. Nominated for an additional two Oscars® for Best Supporting Actress (Sophie Okonedo) and Best Original Screenplay, Hotel Rwanda is “the kind of film that can change the world” (Joel Siegel, Good Morning America).

As his country descends into madness, hotel manager Paul Rusesabagina (Cheadle) sets out to save his family. But when he sees that the world will not intervene in the massacre of minority Tutsis, he finds the courage to open his hotel to over 1,200 refugees – with only his wits and words to help keep them alive another hour... another day.

LEAVING LAS VEGAS FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904232094

Rating: Unrated

Total Run Time: 112 minutes

LEAVING LAS VEGAS SYNOPSIS:

This profoundly moving love story garnered Nicolas Cage a 1995 Academy Award® for Best Actor and Elisabeth Shue a Nomination for Best Actress. Alcoholic Ben Sanderson (Cage) hits rock bottom and sets off for the lights of Las Vegas, determined to drink himself into oblivion. There he meets and falls in love with Sera (Shue), a sexy, seen-it-all hooker. But will their unique and powerful bond be enough to save Ben from himself?

DEAD MAN WALKING FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904232070

Rating: R

Total Run Time: 122 minutes

DEAD MAN WALKING SYNOPSIS:

Inspired by a true story, this provocative tale of crime and redemption earned Susan Sarandon a 1995 Oscar® for Best Actress and Sean Penn an Oscar® Nomination for Best Actor. Sister Helen Prejean (Sarandon) becomes the spiritual advisor to Matthew Poncelet (Penn), a vicious and complex killer awaiting execution. As she attempts to save Matthew’s dark soul, she uncovers shocking truths that will rock the very foundation of her faith.

THE HORSE SOLDIERS FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904233459

Rating: Not Rated

Total Run Time: 125 minutes

THE HORSE SOLDIERS SYNOPSIS:

John Wayne teams with William Holden and eminent western director John Ford for this frontier actioner "packed with laughter, romance and thrills" (The Hollywood Reporter)! Written by John Lee Mahin and Martin Rackin, this faithful representation of one of the most daring cavalry exploits in history is both a moving tribute to the men who fought and died in that bloody war and a powerful, action-packed drama. Based on an actual Civil War incident, The Horse Soldiers tells the rousing tale of a troop of Union soldiers who force their way deep into Southern territory to destroy a rebel stronghold at Newton Station. In command is hard-bitten Colonel Marlowe (Wayne), a man who is strikingly contrasted by the company's gentle surgeon (Holden) and the beautiful but crafty Southern belle (Constance Towers) who's forced to accompany the Union raiders on perhaps the most harrowing mission in the war.

SOME LIKE IT HOT: 50TH ANNIVERSARY FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904233398

Total Run Time: 122 minutes

SOME LIKE IT HOT: 50TH ANNIVERSARY SYNOPSIS:

When Chicago musicians Joe (Tony Curtis) and Jerry (Jack Lemmon) accidentally witness a gangland shooting, they quickly board a south bound train to Florida, disguised as Josephine and Daphne, the two newest and homeliest members of an all-girl jazz band. Their cover is perfect... until a love lorn singer (Marilyn Monroe) falls for Josephine, an ancient playboy (Joe E. Brown) falls for Daphne, and a mob boss (George Raft) refuses to fall for their hoax! Nominated* for 6 Academy Awards®, Some Like It Hot is “the quintessential madcap farce and one of the greatest of all film comedies” (The Motion Picture Guide).

THE MISFITS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904233411

Total Run Time: 124 minutes

THE MISFITS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY SYNOPSIS:

Expertly directed by John Huston (The Maltese Falcon) from a screenplay by Pulitzer Prize winner Arthur Miller, The Misfits is “a probing, exciting drama” (The Film Daily) of honesty, intensity and sheer poetic brilliance. Divorced and disillusioned, Roslyn Tabor (Marilyn Monroe) befriends a group of misfits, including an aging cowboy (Clark Gable), a heartbroken mechanic (Eli Wallach) and a worn-out rodeo rider (Montgomery Clift). Through their live-for-the-moment lifestyle, Roslyn experiences her first taste of freedom, exhilaration and passion. But when her innocent idealism clashes with their hard-edged practicality, Roslyn must risk losing their friendship... and the only true love she's ever known.

ROCKY: LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY + BOOK FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904228004

Rating: PG

Total Run Time: 119 minutes

ROCKY: LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY + BOOK SYNOPSIS:

Nominated for 10 Academy Awards®, this 1976 Best Picture Winner inspired a nation. A struggling Philadelphia club fighter (Sylvester Stallone) gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fight for love, glory and self-respect. Featuring a legendary musical score and thrilling fight sequences, this rousing crowd-pleaser scores a knockout!

THE USUAL SUSPECTS: LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY + BOOK FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904228028

Total Run Time: 106 minutes

THE USUSAL SUSPECTS: LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY + BOOK SYNOPSIS:

Winner of two 1995 Academy Awards®, including Original Screenplay this masterful, atmospheric film noir enraptured audiences with its complex and riveting storyline, gritty, tour-de-force performances (including an Oscar®-Winning turn by Kevin Spacey) and a climax that is truly deserving of the word “stunning.”

A $91 million cocaine heist. A devastating boat explosion. Two survivors. U.S. Customs special agent David Kujan (Chazz Palminteri) is determined to find out who and what’s behind the melee. As he pieces the clues together with the help of a half-charred Hungarian gangster and an outspoken, crippled con man from New York, Kujan soon finds out this story actually begins with five criminal minds…and one infamous master mind.

THE TERMINATOR: LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY + BOOK FAST FACTS:

UPC: 883904228042

Total Run Time: 108 minutes

THE TERMINATOR: LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY + BOOK SYNOPSIS:

Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as the most fierce and relentless killing machine ever to threaten the survival of mankind! An indestructible cyborg — a Terminator — is sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), the woman whose unborn son will become humanity’s only hope in a future war against machines. This legendary sci-fi thriller by Oscar®-Winning director, James Cameron, fires an arsenal of action and heart-stopping suspense that never lets up!

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
I received this today but haven't really had time to watch it yet.

The aspect ratio is 1.66:1 and it contains a DTS-HD MA track. The extras are the same as the previous 2-disc dvd version (the trailer is in HD) and it wouldn't surprise me if the transfer is from the same source as the dvd.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was hoping for a digibook, price on amazon is decent but I might cancel befor it ships and wait a bit for a sale price.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I just did this as well, as I'm quite backed up with plenty of film-watching to do, so I'll pick it up int eh next month or two. I'm also getting a little concerned about The Misfits since there's presently no cover art up at Amazon, nor is there a list of features. It's labeled a 50th anniversary edition, so I assume there'll be supplements of some sort? If not, this is one title that MGM should've given to Criterion to do properly. After MGM shorted us on Last Tango In Paris Supplement-wise, I'd hate to see them do it to The Misfits as well.

Originally Posted by TonyD

I was hoping for a digibook, price on amazon is decent but I might cancel befor it ships and wait a bit for a sale price.

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by ReggieW

I just did this as well, as I'm quite backed up with plenty of film-watching to do, so I'll pick it up int eh next month or two. I'm also getting a little concerned about The Misfits since there's presently no cover art up at Amazon, nor is there a list of features. It's labeled a 50th anniversary edition, so I assume there'll be supplements of some sort? If not, this is one title that MGM should've given to Criterion to do properly. After MGM shorted us on Last Tango In Paris Supplement-wise, I'd hate to see them do it to The Misfits as well.

The only supplement on The Misfits is the theatrical trailer.

The cover art is here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Misfits-Blu-ray/22252/

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Any one seen SOME LIKE IT HOT yet? And how about THE HORSE SOLDIERS? I am a little wary to pick these up until I hear some thoughts. Well that should be order these, since Best Buy, Target, and Wal Mart are not stocking the titles in their stores. No wonder sales are down if you can't pick up titles locally and one of is a classic comedy with a classic cast and the other is just one word JOHN WAYNE!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks