Some hollywood+ questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roland_L, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Roland_L

Roland_L Auditioning

Hi..
    I'm gonna buy a Hollywood+ card tomorrow. I currently have a Creative DXR2 card. The main reason I'm buying the H+ is because of its DTS capability. My questions are these:
    1. Can I run both the DXR2 and the H+ cards in the same pc? So I can choose between the DXR2 using Encore player and the H+ using its own software.
    2. I've had a DXR3 card (which uses basically the same chipset) and I noticed little 'hiccups' in the video, can I expect the same thing on the H+?
    3. Does DTS on the H+ work right out of the box? (I've just downloaded the latest drivers just to be sure).
    I currently use the Creative DTT2500 for DD5.1 audio, but I plan to upgrade to a videologic digitheatre dts as soon as possible...I've considered upgrading to a Sony STR-DB940, but I think that's sort of overkill in a small room [​IMG]
    Anyway, any replies or comments would be appreciated..especially question 1 and 2
    thanx in advance [​IMG]

2. Jon Hancock

Jon Hancock Stunt Coordinator

The Creative board is an OEM sourced H+. The main difference, as you're starting to figure out, is software. You don't mention what kind of display you're using, or your computer horsepower. IF you're running an S-Video output to a conventional TV, the H+ solution is OK.
    If you are driving a higher resolution display, then there are other solutions you may want to consider for their higher output quality, such as the ATI Radeon cards. If your PC is an older model, say 300 MHz or less, then again, the H+ is your best bet.
    There is probably a CARD ID which will prevent you from simply installing the newest H+ drivers on your creative board, but you might want to try that first before spending the money.
    Regards,
    Jon

3. Roland_L

Roland_L Auditioning

Thanks for the quick reply

4. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

well i just won a H+ on ebay. ill let you know how it works w/ my experience when it arrives.
    Is there any problems using a H+ with another sound card installed?
    ------------------

5. Roland_L

Roland_L Auditioning

I don't know yet if there are problems with the H+, but I've been using my dxr2 for almost 3 years with an SB awe32 and later a live with no problems.
    I'm getting my H+ today so if I encounter any problems with my live, I'll post it here
    Greetz, Roland
    edit:
    No problems with my SB live, but I couldn't get it region-free, and somehow playing a DVD drained the cpu so much it stuttered all the time > [​IMG]
    I'm gonna try again 2night, if it still won't work, I'll return it
    [Edited last by Roland_L on July 11, 2001 at 01:04 PM]