What's new

Some "Blade Runner" info from Alan Ladd (producer) (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just checked Ebay and there are a number of Criterion Blade Runner LDs available. Act now. :)

Glad I kept mine. Generally I prefer the director's cut version on DVD as it allows me to focus more on the soundtrack but every once in a while I will spin the Criterion version with the narration when I'm nostalgic for the (near) theatrical experience.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Robert Anthony and Damin-

Thanks for your feedback. The book I must pick up. And thanks for explaining the Criterion cut as having a bit more violence, that explains the term "European Cut" I had heard.

re: eBay auctions; Wow, I took a look there, a sealed unopened copy for $12 bucks!

Nelson

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
"International" would be a bit more accurate since it pertains to Asia also. My Embassy VHS with white cover states "International Cut."

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for asking this seemingly newbie question, but can somebody please remind me what the unicorn scene and the happy ending are?

I've got the DVD and certainly remember watching the LD a bunch back in my college days, but I guess everything's melded into one memory; I can't remember where the unicorn scene is, and I kind of thought the DVD has the happy ending.

Thanks.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One of the most important sci-fi films ever. I'm pretty sure it will get a special release eventually. I just hope when it does the original 1982 theatrical version will also be included in the package, if it is than I won't have to watch the so-called director's cut ever again.:emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Doug L:

DC: In the middle of the movie Ford has a dream about the unicorn. Also the ending has the elevator doors close then credits.

In the original release after the doors close there is a minute or so of footage where Ford and Young are driving along ther countryside which was cut on the DC.

Does that help?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

???

Doe's this mean, once again, no merge? This ought to make the 27th thread now. Mr. Briggs bookmarked and retitled a perfect thread for all these posts to file neatly. I wonder where you could find such a link?
:D

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, why do I have the feeling were not getting the whole story. If Jerry Perenchio was so pissed off at Scott that no new version of the film could be issued, then why did he allow the so-called "director's cut" to be released? Since this is a version that Scott is more happy with than the theatrical version, why did Perenchio allow it to happen if his sole intent is to piss Scott off? Something isn't adding up here.

NOTE: I have yet to see "Blade Runner", something I have to get around to one of these days.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

It was a different era. The revenue streams from laserdisc and VHS were nothing compared to the revenues to be made from a major DVD release today. And we're not just talking about a "director's cut" of the film; we're talking about a special edition DVD which no doubt would contain substantial material on the troubled history of the production and the film's release. As we saw with Fox's recent re-release of Alien 3, that can touch a whole different set of nerves.

M.

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator

That makes more sense. Perenchio dosen't want to allow a disc that is going to make him into a bigger villain than he already has been protrayed as. And while I'm sure Charlie would be fair and balanced and present both sides of the story, Scott tends to be just well spoken enough that he will come off as a hero.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
This all sounds like the pissing match between Abkco Records honcho Allan Klein and Alejandro Jodorowsky; Klein has kept Jodorowsky's cult movies "El Topo" and "The Holy Mountain" from proper U.S. distribution (and restoration) for decades because of a personal feud between them.

It's all very depressing.

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
what would the probable punishment be, in monetary terms, if they just went ahead and released a special edition without his permission,and he sued?

As a defence,just say i put you up to it.
:D

Alistair_M

Second Unit
just saw a post in uk.media.dvd

I don't know if its an informed post - anyway here it is:

by Jabba:

"As you may or may not know, the plain Region 2 version of Bladerunner
has been deleted by Warner Home Video this year. This DVD is now
selling for silly money on Ebay and Amazon.

Upon speaking to a spokes-person of WHV asking why this title has been
deleted, a new anamorphic, 5.1 re-mixed, two disc version will be
released this year. The three disc version that Ridley Scott was
working on has been shelved due to many legal troubles.

This two disc version will contain Ridley's 1992 cut of the film and
the second disc will contain the C4 documentary 'On the Edge of 'Blade
Runner', with some original 1982 trailers and 1992 trailers of the
movie."

if Jabba is correct then I'm well pleased but I really hope it will have a commentary by master director Sir Ridley.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Alistair, I hope that guy is right. If it is, then it bodes well that a possible Region 1 release is not far behind. It's also possible that the guy is right about Region 2 only.

Then again it's also possible that it'll be true for every Region except 1! :thumbsdown: :rolleyes

Honestly I'd settle for a remaster of the existing DVD, hopefully some extras. I'd re-buy for just a new transfer alone. It's better than nothing.

What a tiresome debacle. Give me a remastered '92 cut and it'll tide me over 'til... ???

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I haven't been on this forum in a long time and I came here yesterday to see if there was any news about a new Blade Runner DVD. I was excited when I saw this thread right at the top of the list, but of course my excitment ended real quick after reading the first post.

Anyway this is my all time favorite movie but I hate the directors cut. It's the theatrical version or nothing. So now I'm seriously considering buying a laserdisc player and the Criterion LD. I never would have thought it possible that I would even think about buying another laserdisc player after all these years, but for Blade Runner, it just might happen.

Jeff

Real Name
Anthony
That's very interesting news, Alistair. It sounds quite authentic but it contradicts a lot of what we've talked about in this thread.

I'd be hopeful that if there IS any truth in this, that we'd get a Ridley Scott commentary. I don't see why we wouldn't.Even so, given what was being planned for the 3-disc anything less is going to be bittersweet.

Anyway, I won't be needing that arsenic just yet !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks