What's new

Some "Blade Runner" info from Alan Ladd (producer) (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hey, while on the subject of the much loved Jerry Perenchio, any truth to the rumors that he also owns the rights to Office Space and has locked Mike Judge in his basement, forcing him to collate piles of Initec TPS reports and legal documents regarding Blade Runner using only his trusty red Swingline stapler?

If so, this might also explain the problems Fox is having in putting together the long awaited Special Edition of OS.

;)

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
The question I'd like answered: if Warner only holds "a video license to distribute this version of the film," would making a new transfer of "this version" violate that license? I would seriously doubt that any contract specifies that the only video version possible would have to come from the 1997 transfer...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Michael St. Clair:

The story goes that the "Director's Cut" was put together without much additional time given to Scott to finalize it. The story further goes that, should we get an extensive DVD release at some point, Scott will have the chance to make all of the necessary final tweaks.

DJ

Real Name
Anthony
This is just the most miserable, depressing thread. From the talk of Perenchio's death to the news of his petty, egotistical feud with Scott - it's horrible.

I feel anger towards Perenchio but then who knows what his grudge with Scott is ? It sounds like it runs pretty deep - there may be a more, shall we say, "personal" element.

But Perenchio, for all his wealth, doesn't have the sense to see that his position is extremely undignified. I can't see that any form of intervention will make any difference.
Huge wealth makes people invulnerable. That is the world we've created.

That said, there are other ways to fight back. It would require some fairly underhand methods that I would never condone, but it could be done.

I'm pretty sure that Ridley's already done a commentary. That could be released independently - Perenchio can't stop an audio recording of Scott going on sale.

I doubt that the doc can be released separately by C4 - surely Perenchio controls the use of clips (which raises the question of why he allowed it in the first place) - but, as has been pointed out, the bootleg is available.

Depending on the state of the re-edited cut, somebody MIGHT be able to get a hold of that. And they MIGHT just be able to copy and distribute that somehow. You never know.

It wouldn't be perfect but it'd be one in the eye for a megalomaniac who puts his personal grudge before the public he's made so much money out of and the medium he professes to care about.

Shame on you, Mr Perenchio.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, look at what is happening with The High and the Mighty - the Granddaddy of all video-limbo movie classics. A John Wayne film from 1954 NOT on VHS, DVD, Laser and has not been officially distributed on video since about 1988, or something crazy like that. Warner always wanted to release it VHS, Laser, DVD, etc but Wayne's son Michael blocked it. Then last year, Michael Wayne dies, but the DVD edition is still nowhere in site and will probably remain limbo for quite some time. Oh, did I mention that the negative was kept in Wayne's house and sustained damage in a flood and has color fading? :frowning:

If Warner, Perenchio and Scott are not careful the same thing could happen to Blade Runner.

Ever read about how the hundreds Dead Sea Scrolls and manuscript fragments have been treated since they were discovered? It's not a pretty story. :frowning:

To some people, Blade Runner is like the Bible to them! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any further posts referencing death about any of the individuals involved with this title will be deleted. Such a negative subject matter adds very little to this discussion.

Crawdaddy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm won't be holding my breath, Robert! :D

My comments about Michael Wayne's taste were not intended to be offensive. I wasn't on the "oh good, Harry just died now, let's look under his bed for that $2000 Martha said he had" trip. I apologise for my lack of diplomatic subtlety.

This thread is... Speculation City, Arizona! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My warning about death references was not aimed at any particular person, but is an attempt to keep this discussion focused on the issues at hand without speculating on anybodys demise.

Crawdaddy

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well hopefully we can merge yet another thread with the Official SE thread?

The Official Blade Runner SE Thread

I'm a bit different and side with Mr. Crawford's cryptic optimism. Successful men, like Perenchio, make successful decisions. This would be a beneficial one. Just because he sits on over a billion dollars, doesn't mean he wouldn't like a few more. Despite all of our efforts, as good intending as they are, I'm sure this man is quite aware of the public's anticipation of this title.

I choose to remain hopeful, it's going to happen. I know it.

99% of this thread is speculation, and all negative.

Jeff Rosen

Grip
Just to add further info to the "stew". Warners can no longer take theatrical bookings on "Blade Runner" either. I run a theater that runs old movies in Los Angeles and Blade Runner has been "out of service" as the distributors like to say for the past 4 years. You might have noticed no one as played it in 35mm, at least officially, in that time. The current DVD is probably all we'll have for quite awhile and even that's existence might eventually be withdrawn.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah I hope so as well. Guys like him didn't get rich by not being interested in making money. But so far, it's not looking good.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I think it's pretty clear that Anthony was kidding about us forging a massive suicide pact to get a Blade Runner SE. At least, I think he was kidding...Anthony?...;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

It's important to take the long view. Nine years ago, a somewhat similiar situation existed with Brazil. Criterion had been planning a special edition on laserdisc (the same one that now exists on DVD) for several years, but was forced to cancel it because the rights couldn't be secured. At the time, everyone said the project was dead and would never be resurrected.

A year later, after a lot of corporate changes at Universal, Criterion suddenly got the green light, and the set appeared in Sept. 1996 (list price: $149.95 -- ouch!).

Business circumstances change. Ownership changes. People change. Patience usually pays off.

M.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
True, but I'm still assuming that it isn't going to exactly be tomorrow before any possibility exists.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
:D If it takes 10 to 20 years to happen, I may have to watch someones TV here on Earth from Heaven to see it! :D

DannyS

Second Unit
Where there is hope......

Ah well, this just give the bootleggers more fun :-(

I am watching and waiting.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks