What's new

Soderbergh's Che coming this fall from Criterion? (1 Viewer)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Appears so, but I don't know why. The movies are already out via Blockbuster and are extraordinarily unimpressive propaganda. Just my two cents.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Soderbergh has apparently confirmed it. The film will be even longer (or at least have additional footage on the disc), with lots of documentary style extras.

It makes sense as the Blockbuster release isn't available for sale. My local BB has even closed so I don't have a chance to rent it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
It would be cool if Criterion would release EVITA also on BLU RAY with lossless audio and all the extras from the LaserDisc box set. the film could look great and sound great also. Evita got caught in the line of VHS/LD/and new DVD Format fire and has been left behind since then.

I am interested in Che.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
CHE part one and two are available for pre-order from Amazon UK for both SD DVD and BluRay. The two movies can be purchased separately or together. Their is not allot of detail so I assume the SD would be in PAL and BluRay 1080P/24. A running time of 247 minutes is shown for parts one and two when purchased together. I placed an order today and I will provide a short review sometime in July.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
This better not be the 1969 Richard Fleischer flop of the same name, starring Jack Palance as Castro
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'll buy a Soderbergh Criterion Che day and date. The two films take a similar "observational" approach to Mann's Miami Vice, and manage to offer a portrait of the man with very little baggage or historical context, or even any sense of the 'momentous' feeling of history in the making...the evident absence of which makes for, IMO, much a more compelling "you are there" sensation.

I was secretly hoping this would get the CC treatment, but never thought it'd actually happen...although after Benjamin Button, anything's possible.

Do we have any info on the package, or when we might get an announcement? I assume not until later this Summer?

Anticipating,
Nathan V

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
They're saying fall, so probably October-November. In an interview Soderbergh confirmed the Criterion release and said there will be mountains of extras, including lots of deleted scenes and documentaries.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Makes perfect sense since CC has released most (or all, haven't kept up) of Soderbergh's titles. This will be incredible tho! One of the best films I saw from last yr - I have the fortune of living close to Manhattan so I saw both parts there in January. It's funny (& prob sappy) but I haven't "missed" a film as much as this one in a loooooooong time!

neil813

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil O'Donnell
FYI - If you are from the US and plan to order the UK Blu-Ray of "Che", please note that the disc is coded for Region B. Therefore it won't play on most US Blu-Ray players which only play Region A discs. So unless you have a region free Blu-Ray player, you may want to wait for the Criterion release.

Che Parts One and Two have already been released here in Canada for sale. No extras, but seemed like an excellent transfer (at least to me)...

RATLSNAKE

Agent
Anyone heard any rumours/updates regarding this release? The website still hasn't added it to the Coming Soon section, and there are non-Criterion copies appearing on eBay for some time, albeit with no extras.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's an upside to the news at least.

Over in the HD section, someone posted an e-mail from Peter Becker: "My name is Peter Becker. I'm the president of Criterion...

[Che is] coming, and as you can imagine there's a wealth of great content getting developed. We wanted to be ready for December, but Steven Soderbergh needed time to reconstruct some deleted scenes, and we were also able, in what we think is going to be a controversial coup, to persuade Che biographer Jon Lee Anderson to do commentaries on both films, but he also needed more time to prepare. In short, it became clear that if we delayed the release a month we would be able to make a much better set. That's a trade we will always make, even if it means we don't get the benefit of sales in the holiday season, and we think that's the kind of decision our collectors would want us to make."

The full e-mail (that goes into titles other than Che) is posted here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/510#post_3613366

RATLSNAKE

Agent
That is great news, provided DVD doesn't miss out on any of these features that sound like are making their way to Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks