What's new

Socom Confrontation Problem (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bought SoCom Confrontation and what a pain in the ass. I really have to start reading the boxes on these games closer. I thought SoCom Confrontation had a story mode, but it doesn't. It's another one of these on-line only games. I've been trying to get on the network with this thing for 3 hours and no dice. The thing allows me to sign into my Playstation account but continually fails to initialize the network. You can't even get to the game menus.

Fuck I hate on-line only shit games. I opened this thing before realizing that it has no story mode and now I'm stuck with it. Anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong? My internet connection to the PS3 is working fine because I had to download a boatload of updates just so I could read "Network initialization failed".

Sony in its wisdom couldn't be bothered to put any troubleshooting notes in the literature in case of network problems. :angry:

Edit: Forget it. After reading some comments on the PS blog, I get the feeling that Sony didn't have enough servers available for this game. I bet the whole thing crashed from the load. Just another reason for despising games that have no one player story mode. I wish these dumb ass game developers would wise up and make sure their games always have a one player mode. What good is a 40 dollar game when you can't play it?

Marc L

Stunt Coordinator
i got it yesterday too and had the same problem. not enough server capacity for the demand. i mainly got it for the bluetooth headset, which is what I went to buy anyway, so the game was a little bonus.

my first attempt to play online last night was unsuccessful, so i played COD4 for a couple hours, then tried SOCOM later, around 11ish (est) and was able to get on and play. it was pretty fun, and the audio was great.

edit: luckily the gamestop employee told me when i bought it that was a online game only with no story mode. if i found that out as a surprise when i got home, i would have been pissed too!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I've played Warhawk but I'm not sure what you mean by local mulitplayer. Do you mean setting up a game with four friends and using split screen or do you mean setting up a private game and only inviting in friends?

If you mean using a split screen and four controllers then I'm pretty sure the answer is no. If you mean a private game by invite only then yes.

I was able to get on the network last night. I'll take back what I said about it being a shit game. It's not. It's actually pretty good for an on-line game, but it still gets a black mark for not having a story mode. I don't mind playing on-line but I still prefer to have a structured game with actual objectives, rather than strictly run and gun games like all of these on-line war games are.

I like the weapon restriction function that a game creator can enable. I find without weapon restrictions all of these on-line games start to devolve into rocket launcher against rocket launcher. People always start gravitating to missile launchers for their loadout if restrictions aren't put in place. I found a game on one of the channels that restricted weapon loadouts to automatic rifles and grenades, no RPGs or other tube launched weapons allowed. The restrictions made for a decent level of game play.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I've played it for a while now. There is no two to four player split screen mode. It's all on-line or nothing. You can have a minimum of two players on-line. I tried that and found that the "world" is large enough that you could run around for a long time and never find your opponent.

It's good, but if you don't have a home internet connection you're screwed.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My PS3 is online, but my gaming time is way too fragmented to deal with trying to coordinate it with someone else.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, the one nice thing about these on-line games is the lack of need to coordinate with someone else. You can just jump into one of these games whenever you have available time. I always find these things a bit impersonal anyway. It is not like you actually have to know anybody else on your team; although, it does make the experience better when you play with friends.

siberian007

Auditioning
Real Name
john
for edwin.... how do u set up to play only two people online. all i find are 4vs 4 and up. also, i only see one map tp choose from, crossroads, need help. i only bought it with intention of playing my brother online in a one on one sniper hunt, so if i can get that set up it would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks