What's new

Soccer question.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Seeing my FIFA'02 question in the video game software question seems to be getting no responses, if you score a goal in the penalty zone AND get fouled/carded at the same time, does the goal count or is the goal taken away and you are given a penalty kick?

Jay

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Goal counts no penalty kick given- same as football when you decline the penalty and take the touchdown.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you (the attacker) get fouled by an opponent, while scoring a goal, the goal stands.

If the attacker fouls while scoring a goal, the goal is disallowed and the appropriate penalty is assessed.

This may be a bit pedantic, but a player is not actually assessed a red or yellow card during play. The ref calls a foul and then (though it sometimes may seem simultaneous) books the offending player. The term ‘booking’ is used, because the ref writes the foul in his notebook. The ref shows the offending player a yellow or red card, depending on the foul.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks Michael and Lew, it seems in the FIFA'02 World Cup by EA, your goal is discounted and you are given a penalty kick which I did find quite strange. I'm glad real world soccer/football is more logical! :)
Jay

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Or in the case of the UK Premiership, the attacking player strikes, misses the goal, dives over the nearest defenders foot and is awarded a penalty. ;) Goal. Regular as clockwork.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Or in the case of the UK Premiership, the attacking player strikes, misses the goal, dives over the nearest defenders foot and is awarded a penalty.
And in South America, just to make sure, the attacking player writhes around in horrible pain for a few minutes. ;) :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
same as football when you decline the penalty and take the touchdown.
not exactly. in real-life, there is no option to "decline the penalty and take the goal", to paraphrase.

the defining event is whether or not the referee has blown his whistle for the foul. if he has, everything that happened after the whistle, including the goal, is void.

there is also the "advantage rule", which is that if a foul is committed but despite the foul the non-offending team already has an advantage and nothing would be gained by awarding the foul, play can continue. so if the referee thought a goal might be scored, he could raise his hand to indicate foul but NOT blow the whistle, and see if the advantage would actually play out. in these circumstances, if a goal is then scored, there's no need to award the penalty anyway.

by the same token, if the attacking team fouls a defender, but the defending team has already gained possession or cleared the ball up-field, the referee can decide to "play the advantage" and let play continue, especially if the defending team is now on a "fast-break" and is attacking.

note that the advantage rule is implemented at the referee's sole discretion. there is no provision for the non-offending team to decide whether they want the free-kick/penalty or the advantage instead.

if a serious foul was committed and a card is warranted, but the referee played the advantage, he will then wait until the next "break" in play (e.g. another foul, or ball goes out of play) to deal with the offender. so you sometimes have the curious sight of play continuing for a few minutes before play stops, and the referee then hauling up a player who's now on the other side of the pitch minding his own business to show him a card.

in FIFA02, evidently the computer reacts almost immediately in awarding the foul (and penalty kick), so the subsequent "goal" would already be disallowed as the whistle has already blown.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
in FIFA02, evidently the computer reacts almost immediately in awarding the foul (and penalty
kick), so the subsequent "goal" would already be disallowed as the whistle has already blown.
I've seen the replays, typically the scenario is that I've beaten every defender except the goalie and I shoot, then the guy usually slide tackles me from behind, guaranteeing a yellow (and sometimes a red) card shown. But by looking at the replay, the ball is already in the air by the time the foul is committed. I think that is a big glaring mistake on Electronic Art's part! I mean the ball is already in the air and practically headed past the goalie who is charging at me at this point. EA should of accounted for this outcome but it seems it has been ignored/overlooked. Not once has the goal been counted and I've had this happen at least half a dozen times so far. Especially at the beginner level where you are so much faster than the computer.

BTW, Yee-Ming, do you know how to kick penalty shots and block them in the game? After sudden death overtime, I cannot seem to get my penalty kickers to kick other than straight at the goalie. And I can't seem to get my goalie to move at all in defending a PK. I'm missing something and since I rented the game, I have no manual nor could I find anything online like at gamefaqs.com

Jay

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Jay:
I suppose it is an oversight on the part of EA. the computer no doubt registers the foul immediately upon commission and awards a free-kick/penalty without checking what's going (i.e. ball heading towards goal). perhaps it would take a bit too much AI to add the advantage rule?
and sorry, I don't play FIFA02 at all so I can't help you there; I'm just an armchair football fan, watching English Premiership and Champions League games in the middle of the night out here... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks