What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just a reminder that season 9 premieres this week, on Thursday, May 24th.

Two major changes to the show this season:

1) The results episode has been eliminated entirely, leaving the show with a single, 2-hour performance episode each week. At the end of each episode, the bottom 3 couples from the previous week will be revealed, and the judges will choose who to eliminate from that group. However, they will be able to take into account that week's performances, including any group numbers. In other words, dancers will be eliminated based on their performances in that week's numbers and the previous week's.

2) There will be two winners: a male and a female.

I'm interested to see how the changes--particularly the one-episode-per-week thing--shake out. On one hand, the ability to judge the dancers on more routines before eliminating them is a good thing, but on the other hand, some of the best performances (both musical and dance) were on the results show. Nigel and FOX have assured us that interesting dance numbers will take precedence over musical acts, but lest we forget there have been some memorable musical acts, including Lady Gaga just as she was breaking out.

In any event, I'm excited for the new season of what is easily the best performance reality show on TV.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm bummed about the loss of the results show, but with the new way of basically "dancing for your life" each week for everyone, maybe it'll get folks to really up their game, and not coast.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I"ve been enjoying the audition episodes, really neat stuff on display, plus that girl Sam (whose mom kicked her to the curb) has amazing brown eyes.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Great audition rounds, as usual. I already have a few favourite female dancers, but have yet to identify true standouts on the male side (as in dancers who I think have a chance to win it all). I'll post my favourites after the group rounds are over.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This show is such a delight. I continue to enjoy how it focuses on the positive, good performances. It's an irony-free zone, full of heart and celebrating excellence.
And the blue bi-Mohawk fellow was astounding.
Last week (?) the 'exocrism' guy was gripping...and wholly unexpected. There's been some good dancers so far. I think it's going to be a good season.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dragon house: ridonkulous! Splangtastic!
I have to make up words, these guys are blowing my mind!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The ATL didn't disappoint. Sometimes I see some quick edits of contestants getting a ticket to Vegas, and I'm not all that impressed by what was shown.
The Utah auditions should really be off the chain next week, that is dance mecca.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Probably had higher expectations than usual for the Utah auditions, but I didn't really find too much to get excited about, except for a few contestants.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Freaking Dragon Crew dance for your life! That was amazing! I don't know if he can do what the show needs, but what he does is amazing and could merit its own show.
I really liked Mantis guy, and sad he's not continuing.
I think not passing Bacon girl was a mistake. I hope she's back next year.
The belly dancer continues to impress. Her dance knocks me out in a way all the belly dancing from AGT never did. And she's broadly trained.
Some tough cuts, with 90% of the Vegas crowd sent home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks