What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Chris was just being sarcastic. The thing is, I don't watch commercials on my DVR, so this forum is where I get my heads up about upcoming shows.

And HUGE kudos for replacing Mary. Her OTT screaming and carrying on incited Nigel to do the same. Now the judging panel is much more professional, and Nigel is no longer acting like a buffoon.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I pity the guy paired up with the "big girl dancer" (the one who looks a little like Charlize Theron at the start of the first hour last night), if lifts are involved...

Glad they punted that Legacy-wannabe and the girl who couldn't stop jiggling her boobs for the judges.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

He's going to Vegas!

Unless there are spoilers about him not making the top 10 you are referring to.

The boob girl was not as hot as she thought she was.

Henry the latin dancer who was in Burn the Floor (a Jason Gilkison production) is from Australia and was in the top ten of SYTYCD Australia in season one. He was also a professional in the Australian DWTS. Interesting that they had no qualms about spilling the beans on how he's an experienced Broadway dancer (and the easily made connection to Gilkison), but they were mum on the SYTYCD experience.

Shankman's reaction to Jumbo Charlize Theron leaving without a hug or a kiss (or even a goodbye) was hysterical.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I simply cannot believe that that Teddy guy got through *again!*. I also can't believe the judges devoured his craptastic "dancing" and called it emotional and brilliant. It was basically everything I hate about contemporary dance, wrapped upped in a single performance. Not only that, but it reeked of being fake--there was no honest emotion in it, just a bunch of running around and thrashing of limbs. It's like what happens when you ask a drama student to "dance" as a warmup.

Other than that, the show got off to a much better start than the last few seasons. The judging is much better now without Mary.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Who was the guy from last year that made it to the top 20 but was injured and couldn't go on? Billy something I think? He was pretty good. Did he get a pass to this year or he's just gone?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It reminds me of a dancer from SYTYCD Australia named Forever who wowed the judges in season 2 with her audition (the head judge said it was the best audition he'd ever seen). I was totally like, "I don't get it".

She came back in season 3, did what appeared to be essentially the same kind of audition, and was told that it was one of the worst auditions ever.

Mary was a good judge in season one, when she was the mean judge. Whether it was her or Nigel, she started screaming and yelling about the hot tamale train and became the unhinged one with all the schtick. Most of the time, she looked for opportunities to scream to bring up variations on the hot tamale train in lieu of actual critique. She became a parody of herself very quickly, and I found her intolerable for the last few seasons for her attention seeking ways.

I am very hopeful that the focus goes back to the dancers this season. Because the judges were ruining the show by hogging the spotlight the past two seasons.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Stacey Tookey rules. It's a shame the Canadian version of the show generally sucks--the talent is fine, but the show is so poorly put together that it is a chore to watch.

So far this audition season has been good. Some really entertaining auditions (and lots of eye candy, it seems), and very little focus on the bad ones.

One complaint I still have is that we never see the actual choreo rounds. How about they cut down on the sappy stories a tad, since most of those dancers never make it through anyway, and show us at least 30 seconds of the actual routine, and the dancers dancing to it for more than 2 seconds.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After seeing Joey Dowling in something other than training gear, I'd like to see more of her. She makes me think of Lauren Graham or Annabeth Gish.

Brian Gaynor is awesome. I don't usually feel compelled to keep recordings of auditions but I will with his.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial One complaint I still have is that we never see the actual choreo rounds. How about they cut down on the sappy stories a tad, since most of those dancers never make it through anyway, and show us at least 30 seconds of the actual routine, and the dancers dancing to it for more than 2 seconds.

They show enough of it to make me sick of hearing that same song over and over. Any more would be torture.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Now that's just mean.

In past seasons (I'm still working my slowly through my season 6 recordings, and haven't started Season 7 yet), I remember seeing some of the choreography, but in truth, I had a difficult time watching everyone at the same time. You do notice the people who are horrendously off, though, and maybe that's all the choreography round is about. Maybe you don't need to show your exceptional spins, kicks, leaps, etc. at that point, just that you can mentally pick up choreography quickly enough (just like you'll have to do on the show), and that you have enough skill to execute it to some degree.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Now that's just mean.

It's mean to be tired of hearing the same bit of the same song every time they show choreography? It's more mean to subject us to that.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

It's mean to be tired of hearing the same bit of the same song every time they show choreography? It's more mean to subject us to that.

Did you understand what was written in the post above mine? I guess I'll have to strive to use the quote function more often, even when it seems quite obvious what my responses respond to.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Did you understand what was written in the post above mine? I guess I'll have to strive to use the quote function more often, even when it seems quite obvious what my responses respond to.

Yes, that would help, because when you DON'T quote something, it's quite obvious that you must be replying to the post right above yours.

That's why there is a quote function.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

Mikah WAS replying to Josh's post, which was RIGHT ABOVE HIM.

I guess something went flying over your head.

Wow, those auditions were over fast. Tonight is last Vegas cuts and visiting the top ten at home.

body{cursor: url(http://www.123cursors.com/freecursors/9260.ani); }

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

Wow, those auditions were over fast. Tonight is last Vegas cuts and visiting the top ten at home.

body{cursor: url(http://www.123cursors.com/freecursors/9260.ani); }

I like the pace of the season so far; though, the auditions always go by fast to me, at least when compared to AI.

I'm really looking forward to the Mary-less judging this year (save for the odd week where she is the guest). Nigel's ears must be thanking the heavens, too.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
My favorite audition moment was the chick who did the Taxi dance thing with her DAD. The dance was creepy, the Dad was creepy and the girl was all creepy and defensive when the judges pointed out how off-putting the whole thing was. Maybe she thought she was auditioning for 'So you think you can have an incestuous relationship with your Dad!'

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This might be the first time ever on either SYTYCD or AI where I agree with 100% of the top whatever. As long as the format doesn't let it down, this might be one of the best seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks