What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I said this last year and I'll mention it again as I tried to watch this again last night. The screaming during the dance routines is just so distracting that I can't watch it. It is even worse this year. I really enjoy the auditions because there is no screaming until after they perform. Last night there was one person that just had this high pitch scream from the start unitl they finished. How can anybody enjoy the music and the dance if your screaming? These aren't rock or movie stars at a press conference. They're dancers performing to music which cannot be heard due to the assinine screaming. Sorry for the rant.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I don't think any of the women have any sex appeal and none of the men offer the power in their movies like Brandon or Ade did. And the three tap dancers? Why do we need three, they are pretty boring for this show. Billy had the best movement in the little we have seen, and he's gone? That sucks. Watching up till this point I was into the season, after seeing the top 20 i'm kinda of so-so.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Karen (the odd woman out in the Latin number) has got some cha-cha-cha going for her.

Katherine will continue to crack me up if they allow her to speak during her reviews by the judges.

Noelle is that cute next-door-neighbor.

Channing might amount to something if she can pull out some personality.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm liking what I see when Kathryn dances, fun hip-hop from her and Legacy.

That disco number was sloppy, but so energetic, and dangerous for Mollee and Nathan.

Victor's a bit too vanity-challenged, not liking the vibe from him, and Bianca's will end up trying too hard when she needs to make it look too easy.

Jakob is a freak, let's hope Ashleigh can keep up with him.

Ryan and Ellenore make for an odd looking couple in spots, plus I wonder if Ashleigh is weird out by Ellenore's hand on Ryan's abs during the judges' comments?

Russell drew a couple of bad nuggets with a ballroom number, but there was no way he was going home.

Pauline and Brandon looked cute together, but their number wasn't strong enough, and Brandon was sent home in short once again.

Ariana and Peter were another odd looking couple for their hip-hop number, and you knew Ariana was a goner when you stacked her up against the rest of the gals.

Philip and Channing had zero chemistry. Channing is a physically imposing dancer, it could present some problems when lifts and other flips and tricky manuevers are required.

Kevin and Karen was 1/2 of a good cha-cha. Too much mugging for the crowd by Kevin turned me off early in the number, don't see Kevin hanging around long. It'll be interesting to see Karen tackle contemporary or hip-hop.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Mark_B

I said this last year and I'll mention it again as I tried to watch this again last night. The screaming during the dance routines is just so distracting that I can't watch it. It is even worse this year. I really enjoy the auditions because there is no screaming until after they perform. Last night there was one person that just had this high pitch scream from the start unitl they finished. How can anybody enjoy the music and the dance if your screaming? These aren't rock or movie stars at a press conference. They're dancers performing to music which cannot be heard due to the assinine screaming. Sorry for the rant.
I sat down with my wife last night all prepared to leave again when the screaming starts and surprise, surprise, it seems that the powers that be have turned the mics down for the spectators while the contestants are performing. You could still hear them screaming, but in most cases, faintly in the background. I think the fact that they are not performing "in the round" this season is also helping. Please let it stay like this.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Favorite routines were Ryan and Ellenore and Legacy and Kathryn. The rest I found forgettable and found Nathan and Mollee's disco sloppy like Pat mentioned. But then I can't say I have found many discos very inspiring. Too bad Brandon got cut just when he got there. Ariana's cut was clear with the solos.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Interesting to hear critique of the choreo for a change (Viennese Waltz).

Adam's criticism was very interesting and constructive overall. I like having him as a regular.

Diorio's piece did the couple no favors. Bianca's elimination was no surprise nor was Philip's.

That samba was rough. Struggling as a pair overall but Channing looked too athletic in her movements, at least upper body.

Kathryn and Legacy's number was impressive and one of my favorites of the night. They are my favorite couple along with Ryan and Noelle. The concept was reminiscent of the addiction number but it ended more positively.

Wade Robson's number was a little too high concept, but the dancers did it justice, not unlike the crash test dummy piece last season.

Too bad about the wardrobe malfunction on Ellenore and Ryan's number but it gave them a chance to show their commitment and focus. My other fave couple did well tonight.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Legacy and Kathryn were very good.

Ellenore and Ryan were solid, even with the dress/heel snafu. Ryan reminds me of Hugh Jackman.

Karen is still eclipsing Kevin on sheer star power.

Mollee and Nathan did well with Bollywood.

Jakob and Ashleigh were let down by decisions in choreography, but still a fine number.

Russell and Noelle were average, sometimes not really feeling Russell's game, just ain't bringing out the charisma.

Pauline and Peter lacked a bit of chemistry for me.

Channing and Philip were dancing scared.

Bianca and Victor couldn't salvage their number, then again, I think Victor isn't going anywhere far, just too douchey for me.

I really didn't think Bianca was going to be sent home, but Noelle did up her game on her solo. Philip was just too weak of a male partner (at least for the more muscular girls like Channing).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought Karen was a little too loose for the hip hop routine, though Nigel seemed to like the display of flexibility.

Spero D

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

Adam's criticism was very interesting and constructive overall. I like having him as a regular.

As do I. He's pretty spot on.

My 2 favourite couples of the night with both a nice lead over the rest-

- Legacy and Kathryn
- Ellenore and Ryan

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Channing hips were so stiff I couldn't understand how she got any compliments at all. What the hell were the judges looking at? Those were the worst hip swivels I've ever seen on the show. Grandpa Simpson could swivel his hips better than Channing. One of the worst performed routines EVAR and the worst Samba EVAR. Those lifts were the worst.

The snagged dress during the Argentine Tango was so distracting it took me clear out of their performance. My wife and I spent the whole time focusing on the wardrobe malfunction and barely paid attention to the dancing. But it was not nearly as strong as Brandon & Jeanette from what little I could gather.

Karen is a great dancer and was pretty slamming in that hip hop routine, but she has bad skin and even worse teeth. I can see why she got the clear braces -- when she smiles, she reminds me of Austin Powers. Yeah Baby!

I'm surprised at how good Karen and Legacy are. I shouldn't be too surprised at Legacy's performance -- hip hop dancers typically transition to contemporary choreography well. It's stuff like Smooth Waltz that kills them. Let's see how Legacy and Karen deal with a quickstep.

Nathan and Mollee are clearly the front running power couple, but Mollee looks like she has the jaw and chin of a 5 year old. Her face from the nose up is normal sized, but the bottom part is disproportionately tiny, and it makes her face look weird.

Noelle looked haggard last night. She looked like a soccer mom, and she's way to young to look like that.

Pauline has ZERO charisma. Not that cute, not that interesting.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes Adam sucks all the critique out of the room, he may have a pull back a bit and let Mary and Nigel share their "wisdom".

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
May have been the lamest group of performances ever. Not a single routine stood out, and other than Kathryn in those shorts (hubba hubba) the evening was eminently forgettable. Some highlights:

Apparently, Cat's hairstylist is a huge LOTR fan:

One of the things that America doesn't know about Kevin is that he spent a couple of years helping to sell cigarettes to children:

One of the things America doesn't know about Karen is that she was the inspiration for Austin Powers' teeth:

Mary-Ann and Charlie Harper danced up a Broadway storm:

Oh wait, that was Kathryn & Legacy:

One thing America doesn't know about Mollee is that she used to be one of the formerly named "Olsen Triplets":

SYTYCD first: On stage 69!

According to Larry David, the two causes of neck injuries are car accidents and this:
One of the things America doesn't know about Mia Michaels is that she was the inspiration for Twisted Metal's Sweet Tooth:

One of the things America doesn't know about Billy Bell is that he's from Rutherford, Ohio:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's weird that I don't have any true favorites this season, though Kathryn got the short end of the critique last night.

Mollee and Nathan were horrendous.

Ryan and Ellenore looked too marshmellowish in white.

Victor and Channing weren't too bad in their number.

Peter and Pauline were middling.

Legacy and Kathryn were solid, the both of them.

Kevin and Karen were decent, but not really interested in Kevin's dancing.

Russell and Noelle had a cute number

Jakob and Ashleigh didn't quite pull off the number with the cane prop.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, kind of a tepid show with nothing really blowing me away. I did think Russell and Noelle, Legacy and Kathryn, and Victor and Channing were the stronger of them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not a big surprise who got sent home, but I gotta say there probably aren't more than 3 in this group of remaining dancers charismatic or talented enough to make it to last season's top ten. I sort of like Nigel's tough love approach, but I think, psychologically, most of these dancers just don't have that "mental" edge to keep them in the front of the pack.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Nigel is getting crabby but he has not been off base. I especially liked his chastising of the pretty boy vote.

Tappers didn't last long...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Nigel has been on the mark for most of this season, but I think he was very wrong regarding the solos tonight, and his fond memories of last season. Ryan's solo was very good IMO, if you ignore the final tumble, which I assure you was only off because he was trying to rush it in under the countdown (you can see him hurry up to make it). For a ballroom dancer to perform a strong, entertaining solo, without resorting to flaunting boobage or muscles is impressive. Also, Kevin's routine was good, and there were a few tricks in there that you could tell he saved for his solo. I don't think he danced safe at all. All the girls' solos *were* crap though, especially Pauline's and Ellenore's.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I found myself skipping through the entire episode and bored. I just don't find any of them to be anywhere near as good as the top 6 from last season (excluding Evan).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Ashleigh continues to put me off, even though I can recognize when she does OK.

Judges comments on Karen and Kevin were spot on and put into words what didn't feel right. And did Kevin surprise her with that kiss?

A nice number for Noelle and Russell with good chemistry. They also made an unappreciated dance look fun and quite lovely.

I enjoyed Channing and Victor's blackbird number. Channing did seem to come out of her shell for the first time, though if her performance is tied so closely to her level of comfort it may not sustain through the competition.

I wanted Kathryn and Legacy to do really well with the paso doble but they didn't quite capture the intensity and passion as a couple, though individually they had their moments. Some notable gaffes towards the end of the routine also.

Travis gave Ellenore and Ryan quite a lovely number and they did very well with it. I think Ellenore's weakness will be her quirkiness in her solos, which may be too unique for mass appeal.

Mollee and Nathan did much better this time. I didn't get much out of the routine but they seemed to do OK. I'm not a big fan of them as a dance couple, so I don't get the "dream team" talk.

I think Karen and Kevin are probably gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks