What's new

So You Think You Can Dance: Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I've only been to one taping, and it was years ago, but I assume the same rules hold true. The part where they draw out of the hat was live, but multiple takes were made to get the proper "uh-oh, it's the quickstep (or whatever)" reaction-shots, though obviously the same piece of paper was drawn. The guest was live, and the group dance was live, though I they now do it both live and taped, depending on the week (like AI). The dancing for your life was live, too. Actually, I guess most of the show itself was live, just sometimes swapped out for recorded material for the broadcast audience in certain incidents.

Of course, this is most likely all changed, now, and anything is possible. At the very least, I think the live audience gets to see the special guest and the group numbers a few times, and then the best performance is then broadcast as the version on the results show. I've seen mistakes in the group numbers, though, so I dunno--maybe it's mostly true-live now. I guess one of you Americans is just going to have to go see a live taping, this year!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
They also talked about sharing the same bed growing up. You may want to keep that to yourselves when entering the dating world guys...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pretty grueling Vegas episode. There are plenty who have gotten no love from the producers so far. Why didn't Natalie get to dance for her life? Ah well, they even sent home Fantasia (Bianca).

Mary Murphy had some work done on her face between the auditions and Vegas week.

Spero D

Second Unit
That was a real bloodbath. Not many people I recognise left. But at least it wasn't to predicatable

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There is a theory that Nigel wants to have a certain variety in the winners each season, so he pimps certain contestants so that it isn't a male contemp dancer winning every year. So it was male contemp, male ballroom, female contemp, male hip-hop. The likeliest next winner is female ballroom, which is why Asuka and Janette are getting so much face-time (with the added bonus that either would be ethnic female ballroom winner). In line with that, they cut Natalie so she could return for season 6 since the TCO would be Asuka or Janette, and Natalie is too popular to be fodder.

It looks like Brandon is getting the Danny edit -- talented but not trying hard enough. This is so that he can "grow" during the course of the series. If he sets the bar too high, there won't be any room for "growth".

Caitlin isn't quite model pretty, but her body rocks (I'm glad she made it over her less comely sister). So, where are all these model pretty hotties Patrick? Reality shows always promise "the hottest female cast ever", but rarely deliver (Survivor especially never delivers). I don't think there's a model pretty girl left unless it's someone who they haven't focused on. It certainly isn't Paris Torres:

(Anyone here watch Lazy Town?)

Tiger Woods rocking SYTYCD:

I couldn't decide which one was better:

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Caitlin has one of the best bodies I ever seen. I really hope she makes it. Love her right now.

The show is great. Can't wait to see the Top 20 tonight.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was really sad that Alex couldn't be let out of his contract, hopefully he'll either be back in the fall, or next summer. That bit got me to shed a tear at his pain of learning he has to go back to the ballet dance company until he's done with his contract.

I might have enjoyed seeing more of Deena, who got no airtime until the very end in this episode, because she could definitely dance with attitude. Not surprised that Ricki (Asuka's partner) got cut.

Not too shabby in the eye candy department for the gals, but it feels like a weak field for the guys, maybe a good 5 out of 10 all-around dancers with some personality. Tony reminds me a little of the guy who plays Doomsday Davis on Smallville.

While I've heard other thinking unitard chick has a banging bod, I am not quite sold on that assessment until further review in non-unitard outfits, but Caitlen does have a banging bod, as does Kayla, and one of the brunettes (besides Janette). There was one brunette with a Jay Leno chin, though.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think I almost chewed my nails off from the suspense when it came down to Asuka and Anonymous Blondie. They showed a lot of footage of Asuka at her audition, dancing in Vegas, walking around hugging people in Vegas, lounging about the pool in a bikini (in Vegas), and she was featured prominently last year as well, so she had that going for her. But then again, Anonymous Blondie was... uh... blonde? These cutdowns are so instense.

Okay, I'll cut the producers some slack -- there simply isn't enough time to track everyone, so of course it's natural that the ones with face time are more likely to make the cut. Still, what a waste of time and effort to build up completely non-extistent suspense.

I must have missed them cutting Gaby, the arthritic contemporary dancer that they pushed through Vegas week. When they allow these dancers to fail ever upwards, it usually indicates they are in the top 20, like Tony the Popper who barely dances in his own style much less any other. But Gaby didn't make the cut -- why not have her stand with Asuka for the last spot instead of Anonymous Blondie? At least they would have enough face time to make it interesting.

Phillip "Duckie" Chbeeb is the new Twitch -- built in fanbase, will survive early cuts with ease, and any girl paired up with him is a lock for the top 10. Hopefully, he will actually deliver in the performances instead of being the branding/marketing fraud that was Twitch. I dont' mind a little sizzle, but let's have some steak to back it up.

A partial list of the top 20:

Dibs on the phrase, "DUCKIEOWNAGE"

Paris is Robbie Rotten's in diguise. I can see right through it.

There's no crying in Golf.

Dibs on the phrase, "YENTLOWNAGE"

D'oh! Max is the voice of the Russian Homer Simpson. I think.

Jenna started her career as a dancer too. If Xenu is willing, Caitlin will make the top four.

Fortunately, Jason does not have to dance while wearing a SCRAM ankle bracelet.

Superstar!

It's like Brenda with Kelly's hair.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Favorite to okay performances:

Melissa/Ade - they hit the right emotional beats in their number, a very complimentary couple

Kayla/Max - Kayla's going to be hard to beat amongst the girls. Not sure if Max will be able to do well in other genres, but we'll see.

Caitlin/Jason - Jason is probably the best pure dancer, but not sure if he'll have the same upper body strength displayed by Brandon or Ade. Nice number, but I thought Caitlin was a little off in sync at times.

Randi/Evan - Very nice couple chemistry, good and subtle, thoughtful.

Janette/Brandon - Brandon might over-compensate on the "acting" and personality, but he's a front-runner. Janette is in the middle of the pack for me.

Ashley/Kupono - weird, quirky number, but each one sold his/her character, and also did well when they danced together.

Jeanine/Philip - thought the judges were a little too effusive for the first number, but it was a solid number. Jeanine's cute. I still see a little too much Jon Cryer in his face at times.

Bottom 3 couples:

Paris/Tony - Tony is not ready to be on this show. Not enough snap in his supposed genre

Asuka/Vitolio - They went through the motions, but didn't captivate. Also an unlucky break in dance style given the intangibles of the 2 dancers.

Karla/Jonathon - Jonathan's also not quite "seasoned" enough, still a bit boy-ish in movement, didn't quite buy his part in the dance. Kayla was holding back a little, I thought.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's hard to go wrong with the Samba and a hot pink frilly dress. Or Richard Marx.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Using Patrick's scale -->

Favorite to okay performances:

Kayla/Max - Loved this performance the most. Kayla is wicked good. Max reminded me of another Max;)

Randi/Evan - Awesome -- very sexy and it looked organic, as if they ere making it up as they went.

Caitlin/Jason - I think this was easily the most technically difficult dance of the night. Great Bollywood. I could watch Caitlin all day. Love her.

Melissa/Ade - Compelling performance. Not sure I really like either of them though.

Janette/Brandon - Loved the performance aspect of this dance and they are both fun to watch.

Jeanine/Philip - Phillip is so fun to watch. Jeanine held her own but barely.

Ashley/Kupono - Wade Robson is too weird for me and this dance was totally off my radar.

Bottom 3 couples: (I wacthed both episodes yesterday)

Paris/Tony - I knew they'd be gone. Tony was told repeatedly he was not good enough. I realy liked Paris in their performance. Her foot placement gave her all kinds of great angles. Her solo was dull -- did she want to stay? I don't think so.

Asuka/Vitolio - I did not like their performance and their solos weren't much better. Their days are numbered.

Karla/Jonathon - Jonathan is a little boy. Karla is not good enough to stand out for me.

Overall, there are some strong contenders. It'll be a fun season to watch.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What a difference a week makes:

Showstoppers:
Karla and Jonathan - Really solid contemporary number, very surprised at Jonathan's performance.
Asuka and Vitolio - very elegant, and touching, almost haunting in spots.
Janette and Brandon - high energy disco with some outstanding flexibility on display.
Melissa and Ade - they could prove to be very versatile, nice combo of power and experience.

Solid and fun:
Kayla and Max - as long as Max can keep up, the pair will continue to entertain and impress. I don't know if they have an emotional number in them yet.
Randi and Evan - it's tough being first and not nailing the number all the way through, but they are entertaining to watch.

Bottom 3 for me:
Caitlin and Jason - loved the MJ/Britney hip-hop description, just lacked content for me.
Jeanine and Phillip - horribe luck of the draw for Phillip, but Jeanine was game.
Ashley and Kupono - I fear this is the end of the road, and it's mainly because Kupono is a weak dancer outside his genre.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm relatively new to the show, but have the judges ever criticized the choreography? The onus consistently falls on the dancers, it being a dance competition and all, where the contestants must show a degree of versatility and growth, but sometimes you have to wonder if the choreography isn't part of a particular dancer's problem? At best you could say something is a "bad fit," which Nigel hinted at re: Shane Sparks's numbers.

Spero D

Second Unit
Patrick- You forgot Patrick and Janette (sp?) doing the Disco number which I would put in your top 3.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
My wife and I have always enjoyed this show. The only thing we find VERY annoying is the screaming. It really ruins the routines and seems to be getting worse. Do you think this is encouraged? It takes a really classy show with great talent and demeans the performances.

I just wish they wouldn't do it.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Some great performances this week. The judges were out to burst some bubbles, though. Compared to last week, they were much more subdued in their priase. Mary is annoying me. She needs to stop yelling everything.

Showstoppers:
Karla and Jonathan - Jonathan did much better than last week. I counted him out. He surprused me the most.
Asuka and Vitolio - looked like ice skating. Very moving.
Janette and Brandon - the toughest, fastest choreography. My fave of the night.
Melissa and Ade - In it to win it. They were awesome.

Solid and fun:
Kayla and Max - Interesting number. I enjoyed it, especially due to Kayla. She's angelic. It had kind of a The King & I vibe.
Randi and Evan - entertaining but Evan blew it. He wasn't even wearing ballroom shoes. Randi is too cute. What a dancer.

Bottom 3 for me:
Caitlin and Jason - weak choreography. Jason was better than her, too. I really like Caitlin -- best body on the show. I'm confident her solo will save her -- can't wait to see it. Jason's safe, too. We haven't even scracthed the surface with him.
Jeanine and Phillip - He's got the fan support to stay in it and he will not fail to impress with his solo. Jeanine is cute
Ashley and Kupono - Another weak number due to choreography. Should be some nice solos but they may be done.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, the audience cheering during a performance is annoying. It usually seems out of place and makes it feel like I'm watching a show with a bunch of teenage girls. I can understand the cheering during a disco routine, but like with Jonathan and Karla's number it's just inappropriate.

My fave's continue to be Melissa and Ade and Kayla. There's something about Max that kind of bothers me, so it will be interesting to see Kayla with another partner down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks