What's new

So who else has been screwed by Best Buy? (1 Viewer)

TriMe

Grip
Real Name
Sasha Bloom
I have had a negative experience twice with Best Buy, and so has my neighbor (his was with a Giant Flat screen, I felt really bad for him)...as a family...we just won't buy from Best Buy. Both times were do to expensive electronics failing under one year, and in one instance the extended warranty that we purchased for a top of the line digital camera was no where to be found...they had told us it would be in the "system", not to worry...right. They wouldn't do anything for us...not a repair, exchange, N-O-T-H-I-N-G. I even wrote corporate, because I couldn't believe what was happening...no response. BOO Best Buy.

End of story, we buy elsewhere and so should you..there are electronics dealers that will do more.

Same reason why I shop at Macy's vs. other clothing department stores.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I heard that best buy would price match from amazon. I was able to get the panasonic 80 bluray player for that price..it was like 286 compared to the 350 that they were asking for it.

I rermember a while back having a problem where they refused to excange the full screen of star wars for the widescreen.
they gave me credit for it and then I got the widescreen set.

Jacob

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I haven’t been taken for a ride by BB before, but that’s probably because I’ve been on my guard. I foresaw more stringent attitudes once retailers changed their return policy on media about five years ago. Back in 2003/04, you could actually return an opened DVD if you didn’t like the content.

So I basically take every precautionary step I can whenever I make a purchase. I never blind buy. I always read reviews so I know exactly what I’m getting before I take off the shrinkwrap and it’s mine forever. And even then you can get screwed. I bought a mailer box from the post office the other day and they refused to allow me to return it, even though I bought it only one hour before. The clerk not only said it was non-refundable, but that he didn’t even have the register option to make a return. For a $2 box they put right back on the shelf! So you have to be careful, especially as the dollar tightens and companies take steps to protect themselves, but not you.
On the other hand, my local BB has always been very considerate and helpful whenever I need to make a general exchange, like if I get a scratched DVD.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I don't know where you shop but no one I know of would ever take back a DVD once its open unless its defective.

Originally Posted by Traveling Matt

Back in 2003/04, you could actually return an opened DVD if you didn’t like the content.
On the other hand, my local BB has always been very considerate and helpful whenever I need to make a general exchange, like if I get a scratched DVD.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
If I open a brand new DVD and it's scratched, I consider that defective. So do most stores and they'll exchange it, no hassle. Unfortunately, I've had to do it a lot over the years and have only been held up occasionally (but never turned down) by snobby CS reps who think they're personally above the practice.

Five or six years ago, I was returning DVDs whose content I didn't like. That was before retailers/distributors took steps to protect themselves from piracy. Back then, CDs and DVDs were just as returnable as any other item.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Viper, you're right, in a limited sort of way. Let me explain.

Best Buy often sells different versions of a movie. Now, Best Buy often sells the standard single disk version of a movie as well as a two-disk version of a movie. These different versions have different UPC codes/numbers as well as different SKU numbers. More than likely, the version of the movie that Best Buy had on sale was just the single disk version. The two disk version, which often retails for $20-25, will not be honored at that lower price for the single disk version.

Trust me on this. It's like walking into a Best Buy and they have Iron Man (single disk version) for sale at $9. If they are sold out, Best Buy will not sell you the two disk version of that movie, which retails at $25, for that lower advertised priced because they are basically two different titles.

Only thing you could have done was get a rain check.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
As far as damaged DVD's go, I have never had an issue with returning a defective DVD or a defective set. Their Customer Service has always been nice about it ...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't usually have good things to say about Best Buy, but this time it's different. Long post ahead, sorry! Skip to the last paragraph for the bottom line.

Happened to take my mom out to dinner Monday at the local Houlihans, and we stopped in Best Buy to take a look around. My parents are in the market for a 37" LCD because that is the max size that will fit in a custom entertainment center that they are not going to replace. Usually its the width thats the problem but for them the height is the limit. For a while we have been tracking the Panasonic LN37G1 but it hasn't come down to realistic price levels yet and so far it's only available online, no B&M merchants are stocking it and they would not buy a TV without having at least a cursory look at one in store.

When looking through the 37"s we noted that the Sammy 37b550 was shorter than the 650 I had originally investigated for them but had discounted because it was just a sliver too tall. The 550 isn't in the 650s PQ league of course and its only 60 hz not 120, but it turned out that the size differential was enough that it would just barely fit in their cabinet. It became a matter of whether it was still important to wait to see the Panny in person versus how happy they would be with the Sammy.

I used my iPhone to check some prices and not surprisingly the net retailers destroyed BB on price. When the salesman wandered over I brought him up to speed with our size requirements and noted that we had just found out that the 550 was workable, but I hadn't researched it more than the price. He told me they would match or beat the online price, which I kinda doubted, but then the manager came over and confirmed it. Almost a hundred and a half off the shelf price, and we knew we were in good shape there in getting the 'boss' of the family to finally agree to go for a new TV.

Yesterday I reviewed a few things around the web and figured it still isnt the 'perfect' set for them but its going to be good enough and the price was right, so went back last night and picked one up, brought it to their house and got it hooked up to their fios. They are shocked at how much better FIOS looks than the crappy HD that all the stores use, and are totally thrilled at how the set looks. No dead pixels, color is fine for them out of the box (We'll see if they let me calibrate it or not) and zero complaints so far. Shame we never got to compare it to the Panny, but not our fault that those never made it to the store shelves. I still think that set would have been a better choice for them, but the $100+ price differential and no retail availability sank that.

The beauty is that Best Buy didn't bat an eye in matching an online-only retailers price, and that retailer was even $50 more than most of the other ones listed on Pricegrabber. And my parents got to take their set home that night and if anything goes wrong with it they can take it to the store without having to send it off in the mail. For once we were very happy with BBuy and I hope this price matching policy continues to grow.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. Good story, Sam.

And it's always nice to see people posting the "good stories" about a retailer when they come along! Human nature usually has us just complaining about things...especially on the internet it seems.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Sam, more and more retailers are doing price matching from online stores and local stores because of the competition between retailers. Most of this is due to the state of the economy and everybody is competing for every dollar. You'll find that every store is different when it comes to its price matching policy and not all Best Buy stores will match other businesses online prices.

I know the local Best Buy near me will only match their website's online prices.

Overstock, if you discover a lower price at another website, will credit you the lower price from another website, if you discover it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks