What's new

So wheres the love for the Six Million Dollar Man? (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but if it gets me some cross-promotion synergy luvin', then I'm all for it. I mean we got Galactica because of the abomination of the new series and I got Bill Bixby because of Ang Lee. If they want to rape my childhood memories for ideas, more power to them - as long as they deliver the Old School goods along with it.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Was your OLD SCHOOL pun intended? Because the director of OLD SCHOOL, Todd Phillips, is writing and directing the Jim Carrey remake of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN for the big- screen. :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
D'oh! I mean Um. . . yes, I did intend that pun. Of course I'm that smart and witty.

So a friend of mine said that he read somewhere online that there was new developments in the Six Million Dollar Man front. But being the drunkard that he is, he couldnt remember any details.

So, anyone heard anything new?

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I had the Six Million Dollar Man board game when i was just a lad...

sign me up for Complete Seasons on DVD!

:emoji_thumbsup:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Don't count on Universal to preserve the original presentation, though. When they released "Kill Oscar" on VHS in the UK, it was the syndication version (with part two carrying "Bionic Woman" open/close credits), when they released the tape "Return of the Bionic Woman", it was edited into a movie version and when they put out "Solid Gold Kidnapping," it was the two-part syndie version, NOT the original movie.

That aside, I really doubt they'd "double dip" the episodes by duplicating them on two sets. Like you, I think the episodes should retain their original credits. Perhaps they could release them with the same "series" they're released with in syndication (Kill Oscar, for instance, on a Bionic Woman set), but air part two with its correct Six Million Dollar Man open/close. I don't think it would confuse anyone enough to quit watching.

It would be cool if they'd also retain the original "to be continued on the Six Million Dollar Man" at the end of part one, etc. to preserve the original presentation (and to explain why the next episode is a SMDM segment).

But, that would be expecting too much from Universal, wouldn't it?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Sign me up as well. Unlikely I would buy all the seasons since I felt they got silly with the Bigfoot and Fembot episodes and others of that ilk.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Thru a contact at Universal I have their 2004 book of shows being offered for syndication and neither Bionic Woman nor SMDM are even in the book. So even their over the air distribution rights seem to have lapsed.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hell - what a mess. It saddens me that the 9 or 10 episodes that I bagged from the UK will be the only Bionic action I'll get on DVD for a while.

Well, I'm getting some of the other shows I want on disc to keep me happy until this comes out. Hopefuly comes out. . . .

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Tony J. Case, I don't where you've been but many people on this forum have written about wanting the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman on DVD, I should know because Im one of them.

Im 33 years old and some of my fondest childhood memories was sitting in the middle of the living room floor on Sunday night watching Lee Majors kick some major a$$(no pun intendend).

Not only do I want both bioinic shows on DVD but also Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. I know Buck Rogers wasn 't as edgy as the bionic shows but its worth having for the nostalgia factor.

And finally I must have Shazam! and Isis, I want this series as much as I want the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman on DVD.

Oh, I almost forgot, we just got to have some Airwolf and the Man from Atlantis on DVD.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The first couple of reunions were fun (if cheesy) but I thought the third and final one was mostly dull. I'd still like to see them released.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I'd buy all the SMDM seasons too!!
Hope we don't have to wait THAT long for them to release the show. SMDM and BW are both on my top five shows on dvd wishlist!

Yeah, and don't forget Starsky & Hutch and Charlie's Angels!!
(shudder!) The horror of it all!!
Why do they have to make these darn things comedies anyway?

How hard would it be to take a classic show and leave the characters and premise intact and get a good writer/director and make a "real" movie out of it that we "ALL" can enjoy, not just the twelve year olds of the world.

Why are the shows from our childhood being thought of as "cheesy"? I don't call for example "Starsky & Hutch" Starsky having to shoot a armed masked robber only to find out that it was a 16 year old kid and having to deal with that for the rest of his life "Cheesy". Or even a gang leader getting Hutch hooked on herroine chessy!
As least you could sit and eat dinner with your family and enjoy these shows not like nowadays.
Todd Phillips and all of these 20 year old writers/producers hacks we have nowadays can kiss my -bleep-!!
George Carlin must love tv these days with all the bleeping or the lack of it! :D

I know SMDM and BW both are lite bubble gum type sci-fi shows but, Heck I'd much rather watch SMDM than American Idol, Friends and Survivor any day!!!!

Actually, I would rather watch a blank snowy screen than American Idol, Friends and Survivor but hey to each his own. :D

Sorry guys did'nt mean to hop on the ol' soap there.
I just get really p.o.ed at the treatment these shows get nowdays. these shows are my childhood, and I just hate seeing them spatted at like that people who were'nt even born when they actually aired.
But, as you say they do get shows released on dvd.
That's why I say skip the sorry "remakes", buy the season box sets and stay home and wath the originals.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I always have mixed feelings about these TV-shows-turned-movies. On the one hand, it'd be nice to see the source material adapted to the big-screen with serious intent, and as faithfully as possible. On the other hand, the original show can never be duplicated years later in any other medium. It was what it was at the time. No matter how good a SMDM remake may be, it could never be as good as the show I watched when I was 8 years old. So a comedy update may not be so bad. At least it won't be subjected to unrealistic comparisons. As long as I get season sets of the original shows, I guess I don't care which direction they take with any remakes.

It's great to be able to own and watch shows like these from our childhoods. Whenever I want to regress to a simpler time and place, I just throw in a DVD of a show from my past. My fondness for these shows is forever stored in my 8-year-old self. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

seems like Jamie Sommers is getting closer and closer to seeing a season set before the year is up.

the only pause i have is that the news item mentions that the show is listed in the flyer that was in the Universal sets released yesterday- however i didn't see any mention of it n the Night Gallery set.

i really hope this pans out but i remember when Rockford was announced 2 years ago, so nothing is set in stone i guess.

from looking over the release schedule, it seems that for the next 7 or 8 weeks, whenever Universal is releasing TV sets, they are releasing 3 different shows the same week.
if they keep that up, there are still plenty of slots open in Nov and Dec for more shows.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Universal lost rights to SMDM. They had a 30-year license which expired. They would have to negotiate a new deal to do anything with the show.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The announcement for "The Bionic Woman" Season One seems to be near. I have listed the episodes that I hope Universal presents in this set:

BONUS EPISODES
All five are "Six Million Dollar Man" episodes that introduce the Jaime Sommers character and lead into "The Bionic Woman" as its own series.

The Bionic Woman-Part I
The Bionic Woman-Part II
The Return of the Bionic Woman-Part I
The Return of the Bionic Woman-Part II
Welcome Home, Jaime-Part I

"THE BIONIC WOMAN"
Season One episodes (13)

Welcome Home, Jaime-Part II
Angel of Mercy (guest star Andy Griffith)
A Thing of the Past (guest star Donald O'Connor & Lee Majors)
Claws (guest star Tippi Hedren)
The Deadly Missiles (guest star Forrest Tucker & Lee Majors)
Bionic Beauty
Jaime's Mother (guest star Barbara Rush)
Winning Is Everything
Canyon of Death
Fly Jaime (recycled SMDM plot)
The Jailing of Jaime
Mirror Image (storyline continued in Season 2)
The Ghosthunter (guest star Kristy McNichol)

There are only two instances of music rights that hopefully won't be a problem. The song "Bingo" is sung by Jaime and her students in "A Thing of the Past", and Jaime sings "Feelings" in "Bionic Beauty". Both songs are played out during critical moments in the plot, so there's no way to replace or edit them without ruining the episodes.

Universal might exclude the first four SMDM episodes, but include only "Welcome Home, Jaime-Part I" in its syndicated version. This version changes the credits to play as an episode of BW. They released the syndicated version a few years ago for the PAL/R2 DVD release as part of their three-volume BW offering.

Since Universal is including the "Simon & Simon" cross-over episode in the "Magnum, P.I." Season One set, I'm remaining optimistic that they'll do the right thing with the BW set as well. These cross-over episodes haven't been seen in their proper versions since they were originally broadcast.

If Universal releases this set on three DVD-18's, as they've been doing lately, there'd be about two hours of space available for supplements. I'm hoping for cast interviews, featurettes, commentaries, etc., since the cast has expressed interest in doing so. If not, I'm hoping Universal will include the first SMDM & BW "reunion" movie from 1987, like they did with "Knight Rider".

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Universal has really been getting a big chunk of my buying dollar this year! A-Team, Knight Rider, L&O-SVU and last year Battlestar Galactica. Soon we'll be getting Buck Rogers, Magnum PI, Miami Vice and Las Vegas! Bring on Bionic Woman and hopefully the 6MDM. I know the rights have to be worked out on that last one, but if we let them know that alot of us really want it, maybe a 'reasonable' deal could be worked out. Another show I'd love is Airwolf.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i would wonder if the rights issues associated with SMDM might keep those eps off of the BW set?

would definitely be nice if they had 'em though.
as far as extras go, i have the same philosophy as i had with the Night Gallery set- it would be nice to see some, but Universal still has SO much great TV product that needs to come out yet, that i won't begrudge them not allocating a lot of resources to each and every show to throw on superfluous extra content or preform state of the art 2004 remasters.
i would love to hear Anderson and Wagner sit down and reminicse on an audio track, but its just not as essential to me as just having the shows is.
and preferably- having the complete series after some point.
prior to catching a few eps on the sci-fi channel a few years back, i hadn't seen the show at all since its first broadcast days.
its been a rare bird as far as syndication in my parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks