So what's the verdict, does the new Peter Pan DVD have improved video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rob kilbride, Feb 12, 2002.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    So what do you guys that have it think? The first DVD had several instances of compression pixelization especially in the dark areas of the screen. Has this been improved upon?

2. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I have both dvds, but it's hard to do an a/b comparison without two dvd players! I did notice that the chapter lists are identical, which makes me suspect that the transfers are identical too....

3. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

All I know is that it looks great. Not quite as stunning as Snow White, but it's up there.

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Those of you with both please compare and post. Many of us are waiting to purchase based on this info.
    thanks!
    dave [​IMG]

5. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    Yes please, this is exactly what I'm doing but I'm breaking down and getting ready to get it anyway!

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Well-

My eqipment is not good enough to tell you,

but I love the commentary track! One of the

best Disney has done. Roy Disney hosts you

as several people chat about their experiences

making the film, including many of "the old nine,"

which are the animators Uncle Walt trusted, admired

and respected above all others it seems.

I have listened to the commentary twice, and

normally, that is a "one time deal" for me.

I am so glad I upgraded!

Mark

7. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    Since nobody answered, I went ahead and picked it up. Good news, the compression pixelization HAS been corrected. Look at the scene when Tinkerbell first flies down into the hideout and you see the lost boy in the black outfit snoring. The old version had bad pixelization. The new version has none!

8. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Well, I picked up the new version and the transfer looks great. I agree with you Rob that the compression artifacts are almost completely gone. Much better presentation than the first disc.
    If you are to take the review over at Dvdfile, you would get a completely different answer. He seems to think that the presentation is exactly the same as the "limited edition" disc, even though he never fully watched the first disc. I called him on this in this thread, and he responded with an extremely defensive rant on his review style. I just find it unfortunate that some dvdfile reviewers seem to believe that they are the end all be all and no one should question their expertise. It's a shame, I used to trust their opinions without question, now I must check who does the review and adjust accordingly.
    Long story short, the new disc looks great.
    -Chad

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Thanks Guys.
    Looks like I'll need to be picking this disc up.
    At least the DVD file review *did* state that he had never really watched more than a few minutes of the original disc (which was why I wasn't comfortable trusting his comparison) but your point is well taken. Reviewers shouldn't get defensive if someone points out a flaw in their review...their reviews are read by many and should strive for accuracy and completness.
    -dave [​IMG]

10. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Chad,

Here's the full video portion that you obviously only glanced through:

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

12. Chad Gregory

Well Daniel,
    There are two distinct audiences looking at your review for insight.
    The first type has the special edition laser and would want to know what, if anything, is missing from the laser to this dvd as well as the probable upgrade in picture and sound. This type was only one catered to in your review.
    The second type does not own the laser, but owns the first DVD. These people most likely were disappointed in the video presentation of the first disc and wanted to know whether the SE was an improvement over the "Limited Edition". This audience was completely ignored by your review, and even further you decided to throw it in their faces by saying the you own the limited edition, but weren't going to make any comparisions. An unfortunately lazy copout on an otherwise decent review. Therefore we have a thread like this one asking for comparisons to the other dvd, since your review is clearly overlooking a large audience of readers.
    Sorry Daniel, but the first rule in writing is knowing your audience. If you assume that the only people that read Dvdfile are those who want knowledge

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Chad,

Daniel was writing it from his own perspective, for which he provided a description. I was not a fan of Daniel's response in the other thread, but geez Louise, I think it is time to give it a rest. His review was up front about what he did and did not do and from where he was coming. That's good enough for me. I would be more concerned if he claimed to have watched something falsely. It also seems kind of disingenuous to accuse someone of doing a "poor" review saying that he "does not have a leg to stand on" and then also accuse him of being "extremely defensive" when he responds. What would one expect? Why bring it back into this thread other than to express your disagreement with the assessment? Hasn't this axe been ground sufficiently?

Regards,

14. Chad Gregory

Ken, I agree with you, almost.

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Hey Daniel,
    Thanks for your awsome reviews! Sorry if I offended by what I said. While it is true that we shouldn't consider dvdfile as some sort of Bible to decide our DVD fates, at the same time realize that we take your reviews very seriously because of their consistent high-quality and attention to collector/videophile details (aside from thebigpicture, how many other sites notice things like EE or focus on lack of 16x9 anamorphic?) This is not meant to diss other good review sites like digitallyobsessed.com or thedigtialbits.com. I just mean to point out that dvdfile reviews most of their DVDs in such a way that lets someone with large-screen front projection system really know what that image will look like when it's 100 inches wide.
    Because of this, we expect a lot. Your Peter Pan review was great...it just left one obvious question unanswered..."did the new disc provide a better transfer than the previous DVD". Keep in mind that many of us with the laserdisc also bought the first edition DVD as well.
    You didn't have to compare it if you didn't want to. But the ultimate review would have compared it to *both* the laserdisc *and* the first-edition DVD. Is it so bad for us to say that?
    It didn't ruin my day that your review didn't make this comparison, and I appreciated you stating that you hadn't had time to compare it so I would know to seek the information else where before making a purchase. Hope we can all get along now and thanks again for the great reviews.
    -dave [​IMG]
    p.s. it would be great if at some point you guys would update your reivew of "BARAKA" to reflect the new (incredible) 16x9 anamorphic disc that is now available. thnx

16. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Since MANY more people are collecting dvds than ever collected laserdiscs, comparing the two dvd editions would seem to take priority over comparing the "version 2.0" dvd with its counterpart from an entirely different (and older) format. But laserdisc comparisons are nice too.... I'd say both would be ideal, since both camps would be satisfied. Daniel, instead of getting defensive, why not simply ammend your review with a more thorough comparison?
    Or, if nothing else, why don't you OTHER reviewers (I know you're out there!) get crackin'? [​IMG]

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I agree with Jeremy. Not quite a Snow White quality transfer, But Peter, Tink & Co. never looked better. [​IMG]

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The video on the new DVD appears to be from the same master as the previous DVD and THX laserdiscs with improved compression since the previous DVD. This transfer is the cleanest and sharpest it has ever looked, but has some strange instances of color variation, especially when compared to previous video editions. One scene that looks especially strange is the scene where Wendy sings the "Your Mother" song. Her dress is very pale compared to other scenes and the skin tones are so pale that the characters look ill. [​IMG] Color is also slightly inconsistent throughout the sequence. Previous video versions had the dress looking much more similar to other scenes and the characters had a ruddier complexion. I think Joe Caps mentioned this in an earlier thread.
    I have no reference besides other other videos and laserdiscs, so I can't say definitively whether this look was intended, but it does look odd to me.
    Regards,

20. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I tried looking at every single place I could think of to buy this DVD, but alas everyone was sold out. Tis s shame.