What's new

So what's the Final Verdict on Superbit DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering what you all think of the Superbit Movement. I'm a big fan of Special Features (yeah, I know: Who isn't?), so the Superbit thing doesn't do much for me.
But I'm wondering if the improvements are noticeable or not all that special...
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I am a big fan of the fifth element and the picture on the superbit is slighty better in spots. If you look for it, you will notice it. Someone did a post showing pictures of the enhanacement a few weeks ago on here. If you do a search you will probably fin dit. Also the DTS sound track is awesome and a improvement. I also heared that Air Force ones DTS track is also fantastic(gonna pick this up eventually). Crouching Tiger everyone says isnt worth the loss of extras. I bought it because i didnt get the original, but have yet to watch it. Desperado I heared is very improved in picture quality from the original release. Hope that helps
Capt

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone done any extensive screenshots comparing the original to the new Superbit versions?
I will eventually pick up a couple of the SUperbits, but there are too many titles coming out now, for me to repurchase films that are not a top priority on my want list.
J

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I doubt how much screen shots on the PC will show differences in original to superbit versions. I only bought The Fifth Element because the old version had zero extras anyway and this was one awesome demo DVD to begin with. I don't think I will be buying any others due to the fact that they are really not superbit as Columbia was advertising. I think all the space on the disk sould be used and the audio should be full dts and not half.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I dig the fact that I was able to get "Desperado" in DTS, even if it is at half the maximum bit rate.
As far as extras, they're cool and all, but as far as I'm concerned, it's all about the movie and it's presentation and not how many pieces of fluff the studio can cram onto a disc.
Bottom line is that we have a choice which is nice for a change!
Ron
[Edited last by Ron Reda on November 02, 2001 at 03:04 PM]

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Bought two of em...didn't do anything for me.
- Steve

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have the original release of 'Air Force One', and a friend of mine bought the new SuperBit version, I did a direct comparison with both on my properly calibrated Sony VVega with the 16x9 option on, and I was very hard pressed to see a difference between the two.
I concluded that the original version I have is perfectly fine, so I won't be getting the new one, and as for the DTS track, don't need it, the original disc was already reference quality DD.
As for the other titles in the series, I don't have 'The Fifth Element' yet, but when I do get it, i'll get the SuperBit version, I mean why not right?
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have a 31" tv (calibrated with Avia) and the Superbit versions of The Fifth Element and Air Force One look significantly better than their original versions. I A/B'd the original with the SB, and you can definitely see a difference in the fine details. Now... when you're watching the movie, most people probably won't notice the differences... but I'm happy with the upgrade (and yes, I consider it an upgrade).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
On my Pt-47 HD set, ISF calibrated, there was a significant difference between Desperado SB and regular. Less so, but still noticeable, for 5E. Marginal for CTHD.
I sold back my Desperado and 5E regular editions, but was unwilling to part with the extras for CTHD (it's a movie I liked enough to own twice).

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
The bigger the display the easier it is to see the difference. Not day and night but visible and good enough for me since I rather get the best movie experience over extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks