What's new

So what don't you like about your Outlaw? (1 Viewer)

MarkMac

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have Klipsch Reference 3 series speakers with a constant eye out for a reasonably priced set of used 7 series. I also run an SVS 20-39PCi. I'm looking to upgrade my power source in the next few months, and the Outlaws have really caught my attention. I'd like to go separates, and from everything I can tell, an Outlaw 950 along with a 7100 seems like a great choice (the 770 definitely makes my mouth water, but it's out of my price range, and probably not even close to necessary considering how efficient the Klipsch Refs are).

So, my questions are, have any of you had a bad experience with your Outlaw equipment? Has anyone had experience running the 950/7100 with Klipsch equipment?

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
In terms of price and sound quality (espcially at the new lower price), the 950 preamp is one of the best deal out there. The biggest problem I have with the 950 is its inability to set a default volume for different inputs. For example, I listen to my CD usually at around -35db but I watch TV at about -20db and watch DVD at about -15db. Some preamp and even receiver has the ability to pre-set the volume at those prefered levels when I select the input source. However, the 950 does not have that so I always have to adjust the volume as soon as I change the input source. Beside that, the 950 works wonderfully and I can't be more happy with it. Hope this helps.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Not liking something in audio equipment is very relative and should be taken with a grain of salt. Outlaw is a great company to deal with in my experience. I got to try their product out for 3 weeks and compare it with other competitors and Outlaw did not have a problem when I returned the unit.
The Outlaw to me sounded no better or worse than some of the respectable recievers when used as prepros. My Proton prepro beat the Outlaw hands down in both music and HT. The Proton just sounded fuller and richer than the Outlaw. The Outlaw on the other hand offers many tweaks and adjustments found on more higher priced equipment but recently, many recievers have started offering the same, i.e. Triple crossovers, etc. (Sony ES, NAD).
IMHO, a prepro should be able to better a receiever in music on any given day but that was not the case with the Outlaw as tested by me in my home with everything else being equal. It might make a difference in someone else's home with different speakers and amps.
At $799, the Outlaw is a decent entry into the world of seperates but I disagree with anyone saying it performs at the same level of prepros costing 3-4 times more. But, as I said before, you have to take these things with a grain of salt.
If 6.1 is not important then there are many great deals to be had on Audiogon for 5.1 prepros that will sound better than the 950 for HT and music both IMHO!

BrianAe

Second Unit
One big feature missing is software upgrades. Rotel's entry level prepro has this. Of course it goes for quite a bit more.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
As an owner of the 950 and the 770 I can say I personally have not any issues with either one of them. With the new lower price on the 950 the combination with the 7100, the monoblocks or the 770 would be a great addition to your setup.

I say just pull the trigger and get the 950 and 7100 and try it our for yourself at home. Let your own ears be the judge.

Parker

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Having just switched to the 950 from a Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX receiver, (1998 Flagship Elite), there is no doubt in my mind that the 950 sounds better. In every aspect and every listening mode!!

I will never go back!!

Peter Loan

Second Unit
The 950 has a couple of small quirks. For instance, when you switch from a 2 channel sound mode to the 6 channel direct inputs, only the front 2 channels will be active. You have to switch over from one of the surrond modes before switching over for all of the channels to work. I was listening to all of my multi channel SACDs in 2 channel without even knowing it:)

I would have liked the ability to set individual subwoofer levels for each sound mode because we all know that DTS likes to punch up the bass levels in their soundtracks. For people with speaker systems where the mains and surronds don't go way low, the 950's analog crossover on the six channel inputs is indispensible.

After owning the 950 for a few months now, these issues are relatively minor. My overall impression of the 950 is quite positive...highly recommended.

MarkMac

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for you responses. I'll be sure to take a look at Outlaw's forum to see what I can dig up there about running Outlaw with Klipsch Reference.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I am not too excited about their ugly icon and that gaudy lookin green power button. But then I am a man that thinks HK receivers look beautiful. So take my comment with a truckload of salt:laugh: Other than that I think Outlaw makes great products that sound good and are built like a tank and all that at a bargain price. This makes them the value leaders in hi-fi, IMHO of course. Only a few years ago anyone with less than $2K wouldn't even dream of owning separates.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
The Outlaw logo has changed somewhat. My 7100 bought a few months ago has the new version while the 950 bought at the same time has the older, more gaudy, one. I believe all new product being manufactured will carry the updated logo.

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Garret,

What do you mean updated logo? It looks the same to me. However, I downloaded the manual for the 7100 and the picture looks the same as the 755, 770 (which to me look a lot better than the 7100). Is this what you mean? Do all three amplfiers look the same now?

-Vic

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks