What's new

So what did you guys think of 'HANNIBAL'? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
OOPS again
[Edited last by Rain on September 25, 2001 at 01:06 PM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, since you asked what we think and this isn't a praise thread, I will answer.
Hannibal may very well be the worst movie I've ever seen. An unadulterated piece of crap and a text book example of how to do absolutely everything wrong in a sequel.
Hopkins is clearly just there for the paycheck, Moore gives her worst performance ever and Ridley Scott ain't no Jonathan Demme (like comparing Ed Wood to Orson Welles).
Ridley Scott's obsession with blood and guts is just getting old. 2000: Gladiator. 2001: Glad he ate her.
laugh.gif

The Silence of the Lambs is a taut psychological thriller, that works because it DOESN'T show you everything. Hannibal was just a gross out fest. A waste of $8 and 2 hours of my life.
------------------
ribbon.gif
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.
[Edited last by Rain on September 25, 2001 at 01:06 PM]

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I thought it SUCKED! Silence of the Lambs was so good. That movie is so evil, it was an instant classic. I think Hannibal was overboard. It took the mystery and suspense out of Hannibal Lector. In Silence of the Lambs everytime he was on the screen I just felt eerie, unsettled and scared. In Hannibal, he was not intense at all. The movie actually made me laugh.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Pure, unadulterated c-r-a-p.
An excuse for gore and over the top violence. That ain't real horror folks, that's just shock and disgust value.
Although I hated the way Silence of the Lambs ended with a too-pat conclusion, I did feel real dread in the pit of my stomach and that had everything to do with me filling in most of the details myself, and the way Hopkins portrayed a brilliant psychopath behind glass (he respected Clarice's talents and maybe even had somewhat of a fondness for her and had empathy for her plight even while he was using her for his escape-- that's why he didn't feel the need to harm her in any way once he was out; he only attacks those people he feels deserves it). I got none of that in Hannibal.
Hopkins was brilliant in SotL's, but was just there to cash in a pay check and make sure his vast ego wasn't bruised by having someone else play the roll he made famous (look at his various interviews and tell me I'm wrong-- he seemed genuinely disinterested, to me, in this movie).
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on September 25, 2001 at 07:51 PM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I hated it the first time I saw it. The second time I thought it was alright. I won't own it on DVD unless the price is dropped considerably. The score is very beautiful though. What I loved about this movie is that I didn't realize Gary Oldman was in it until AFTER the second time I watched it and payed attention to the credits. This only goes to show that Gary Oldman is a very underrated actor. One of the top 10 actors in my book. Think about it, he played so many famous evil characters: Lee Harvey Oswald, Dracula, and... well, that's off the top of my head, but I know he's in alot of other stuff that I was impressed by his acting in.
Edited to say that I still enjoy Ridley Scott.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
[Edited last by Brad_W on September 25, 2001 at 09:36 PM]

Hubert

Second Unit
I think Ridley is awesome. But if you've read the book, you'd see he had nothing whatsoever to work with. It seemed to me that Harris didn't write Hannibal because he wanted to, but because they wanted a sequel. So he did them a favor. It definitely shows this was not written with the same care and love as SOTL.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It amazes me how many times people have said things like "It's not like SOTL", "SOTL was better", "They didn't put as much care into this film as SOTL" etc. What you must understand is this a different film than SOTL, it's a different story, theirs no way that any sequel could live up to that film, Ridley Scott knew this going in, but he gave it is all, and he pulled off a very good thriller. Who's to say how Dr. Lecter would have behaved on the outside, to me he seemed like the same nasty, evil lunitic he was in SOTL, but he was just not behind plexiglass this time that's all.
Me, I don't really see the appeal of SOTL, I mean other than Anthony Hopkins being so intense and evil every second he was on film, this was just a serial killer-on-the-loose thriller that didn't stand out from any other thriller of it's kind for me.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 26, 2001 at 01:39 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks