So there was no EE on TPM?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Artur Meinild, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

From the Van Ling chat:

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Wow. That's great that they're "stepping up to the challenge." They're definitely standing by their product.

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Well,
    I didn't get a chance to participate in or read the transcript of Van Ling's chat, but the TPM/EE issue has bothered me since day one!
    Obviously somebody's trying to pull the wool over somebody's eyes! TPM definitely has some type of anamoly going on and I know my vision is fine. Anyone here wear EE glasses? [​IMG]
    I can't imagine why it is that the folks at Lucasfilm (and THX) don't see what so many other people are seeing. It was so blatantly obvious to me the moment I started watching the film and I thought it to be a major deterent from throughly enjoying it (but that doesn't stop me from watching all together).
    Glad you posted that link Artur to Bjoern's site, because I think that's it in a nutshell.
    Anyway, I'd fly to LA to take a look at the process and to examine the film up close and personal with someone from THX/Lucasfilm so I can walk up to the screen and point out what it is they are supposed to be seeing.
    Troy

4. WilliamJulien

On thing is obvious, Van Ling has never watched The Phantom Menace on DVD.

5. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Just a quick question before I head over to Bjoerns' site...is edge enhancement noticeable on analog RPTVs?

6. Michael St. Clair

Whether or not there 'is edge enhancement being done', there are enhanced edges on many titles including TPM, and it is hurting picture quality substantially. When trailers and/or overseas versions have much less 'enhancement', something is going on!
    Maybe somebody is 'trying too hard' on the transfers for the R1 release copies. [​IMG]
    Why is it that 'quick and dirty' transfers like those used on Academy screeners do not have enhanced edges, then when the 'official' disc comes out, the edges are enhanced (see Cast Away).

7. Michael St. Clair

8. Artur Meinild

9. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

To join the bandwagon, both the plain tabletop player I use onto a 20" direct view shows something that looks suspiciously like edge enhancement, and on the PC drive playing onto a 20" progressive monitor.
    Now, maybe the machine Mr. Ling was playing on didn't have an Edge Enhncement knob.
    Maybe it had a Sharpness knob.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Before you all start questioning the credentials of a man who works in the industry, maybe we should give this a chance to happen (the workshop).

People have started using EE as a catch-all phrase for every halo they see on their sets. There could be multiple reasons these appear. TPM was done almost entirely digitally. Perhaps the artifacts were introduced there and the film to dvd transfer just brought it over as is? Or any other number of theories.

There are halos there, no doubt about it. But can you definitively swear on all you hold dear that you're absolutely sure it's EE? I can't.

Let's give this a chance before we start slamming people who, quite frankly, know more about the process than 99% of us.

11. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

12. Artur Meinild

13. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

When it aired on FOX in 480p a couple of months ago, there was a lot less EE and my LD also has less.

THX is full of shit, that is EE. I still believe the LD sounds better too.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Both the LD and the DVD are sourced from the same High-Def master. It has been theorized that some compression tools introduce halos, but if the LD lacks halos, than THX is not lying.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

As was mentioned in part of the lengthy EE thread on TPM some months ago, apparently some compression machines (I think Sony was mentioned) will add what appears to be EE without the operator doing anything. Thus, Van Ling could be correct that no one *added* any edge enhancement, but it could also be true at the same time that there is tons of EE present on the disc.

For those theorizing "it's part of the movie", no one saw it on the big screen, and it isn't visible in the trailer portions of the same scenes.

Regardless of what happens, it looks like shit and the studios ought to take action to prevent it happening. If the machines are adding it automatically, recalibrate them or junk them. It's utterly unacceptable. I don't care what you call it.

17. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Back when the disc was announced, I think it was Bill Hunt who asked if they did a new transfer,or were going to use the digital master for the DLP projection. They replied that they wanted it to look like film, and did a top-notch high-def back at the initial video release.

19. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

20. Artur Meinild

It is important to notice that I personally hold *nothing* against Van Ling on this matter. I'm certain he's speaking the truth, besides he wasn't at all involved with the video transfer.

However, I blame THX/Lucasfilm for putting out a transfer below the standard we are expecting for a high-profile release like Star Wars.