What's new

So lost. Which projector to choose?? (1 Viewer)

awells85

Grip
Real Name
tony wells
As the title states I am so lost on picking a new projector. I currenty have a powerlite s1 which i want to upgrade. I will only play xbox 360 watch dvds and possibly super bowl on this in my den.

I have been looking at the Moviemate 85, optoma HD20 and the Acer H5360. The projector will be about 13 ft away from the wall its shooting on in a fully dark room. (one window that is covered). Xbox is conneted using composite cables right now so very low quality and I would like to make it better. Im assuming even 720P would like 10X better than what I'm running now. Any input would be great thank you happy holidays.

If you have any other suggestions on projector models I'm all ears. I would like to stay around 1k or so maybe a little more.

sticks1

Grip
Real Name
mark burlison
bought the hd20 about 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. it does have a amazing picture on it. we play the wii on it and it really is cool. have a 106" screen and the picture is really sharp with hd and breath taking with blu-ray. The screen is set up to drop down in front of my pioneer plasma when we want to do some serious movie watching or gaming. So let me tell you i know a good picture when i see one....my buddy installs for best buy and he says this picture is as good as some 3000-4000 dollar projectors. no bias either as he doesn't own a hd20. i was lost too, hope this helps.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The HD20 is the best of those 3. If you don't see rainbows with DLP, I would recommend the Benq W1000+ over the HD20 though. If you wanted to go to about $1300, the Mits. HC4000 is better than all of them.

awells85

Grip
Real Name
tony wells
Thx for the input guys. Another quick on. I was looking at the mitshubishi hc5000 used for 850 or stick with a new one of the above models. So far leaning towards the hd20 but throwing the hc5000 in the mix.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Buy the HD20 then. Buying a used projector is VERY RISKY. $850 is way too expensive anyway, plus you'll have no warranty.

awells85

Grip
Real Name
tony wells
Awesome. It seems as though DLP gives the rainbow affect from what I hear and LCD does not. Are you exp that sticks? If so it is to much where it would effect playing shooter games online. I got a PM from a vendor for the HD20 so looks like im' leaning that way. Thanks again.

sticks1

Grip
Real Name
mark burlison
no rainbow effect that i can see!!! I'm really extremely happy with the purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks