What's new

So is Dual Disc making a splash or sinking? (1 Viewer)

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Well seems Sony has something to say about Dualdisc now, and SACD:

"Whereas Springsteen opted to release "Devils & Dust" only on DualDisc, jam-band fave Dave Matthews will release his new album, May 10's "Stand Up," on both DualDisc and standard CD. Labels are taking a cautious approach regarding DualDiscs and whether they will one day replace the CD altogether.

"I don't know if I can make that great statement . . . but it certainly has outperformed other formats" such as mini-disc and Super Audio CD, says Bill Frohlich, co-president of Sony BMG's sales enterprise division. He adds that DualDisc sales have doubled recently, and that several major artists, including Brit-pop band Oasis, are planning DualDisc treatments in the future."

Guess they are a bit happier about Dualdisc then SACD and the sales have been better. Not a good sign for future support from SonyBMG on SACD.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I think SACD will be relegated to what it is now, mostly classical with some jazz. Pop/rock seems destined to DualDisc or DVD-A/CD two disc packages (which I'd prefer be the norm). Still waiting for a DualDisc title that I'd like, though.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

I could easily live with that. 24/48 Surround and 24/96 Stereo would be great on all Dual Disc releases going forward.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Basic rule of thumb is that if a Dual Disc is not from Sony/BMG then it is going to be Hi-res. Sony the format's biggest supporter seems to be doing the worst job on their releases (no Hi-res, bad surround mixes, 16/48 "enhanced stereo", etc.). Hopefully they will come around when they see the sales results of true DVD-A, like Rob Thomas.

J

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There are *theoretically* at least, SACDs coming out soon of more Pink Floyd and Genesis. European imports possibly even, but there's still some more "mainstream" stuff coming. Theoretically. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks