What's new

So I just got taken by the "Wahldorf Home Theater" scam. (6 Viewers)

greenfrog329

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim
Well I wish I had seen all these posts before this evening. We too bought Wahldorf speakers out of the back of a maroon SUV in Melbourne. The guy actually rode with us to the bank so I could get money out. I wish I had driven straight to the police station instead. Lesson learned. I feel so stupid.

texaskeifer

Auditioning
Real Name
Kory
bought them today...$ 200. took em home hooked em up. work fine. Yeah I got em out of a suv big deal it was my choice. Like the guy said IF YOU DONT WANT THEM........KEEP A STEPPIN!!!!! cant belive you idiots, if your smart enough to get on here and cry like a baby then you should have know what you were buyin with ur money. shesssss get over it.

texaskeifer

Auditioning
Real Name
Kory
bought them today...$ 200. took em home hooked em up. work fine. Yeah I got em out of a suv big deal it was my choice. Like the guy said IF YOU DONT WANT THEM........KEEP A STEPPIN!!!!! cant belive you idiots, if your smart enough to get on here and cry like a baby then you should have know what you were buyin with ur money. shesssss get over it.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
So how can you feel so good about spending $200 for speakers that arn't worth any more than $50. Looks like you were also taken to the cleaners but manage to feel good about it. Hey I got a bridge for sale, Interested?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Something I've always found noteworthy is that almost everyone who posts that they just bought speakers off a van -- whether happily or unhappily -- have just joined HTF that very day in order to do just that: post here in this thread. How do they know to come here? Is it because they rush home and start Googling to see how good a deal they got, and this HTF thread comes up? Are van speakers always, or usually, named Wahldorf?

And one thing that I sometimes get, but more often don't get from these testimonials is: Why? What are people thinking when approached with something like this? Well, whatever the motivations, it makes for endlessly fascinating reading. Carry on!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
Something I've always found noteworthy is that almost everyone who posts that they just bought speakers off a van -- whether happily or unhappily -- have just joined HTF that very day in order to do just that: post here in this thread. How do they know to come here? Is it because they rush home and start Googling to see how good a deal they got, and this HTF thread comes up? Are van speakers always, or usually, named Wahldorf?

And one thing that I sometimes get, but more often don't get from these testimonials is: Why? What are people thinking when approached with something like this? Well, whatever the motivations, it makes for endlessly fascinating reading. Carry on!
Yep, we are the number two link when you search for Wahldorf Home Theater using Bing and the number three when you use Google, much to the chagrin of Wahldorf I'm sure...

104802d4_Capture.JPG

The names change over time when they become too well known. I was approached once, the beauty of the con (at least the one they tried on me) is they actually make it seem like a shady deal, extra inventory they are siphoning off, etc to make you think that you are getting something if not "hot" at least "warm" thus paying "fell off a truck" prices.

shots123

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeanne Daddario
Want to buy another set I got one for sale holidays will be here before you know it !! No there wasn't a gun to my head and yes it was my decision(right or wrong) to buy them from the back of a truck I am upset because I thought I was getting a wireless system then got home to find it wasn't wireless and didn't come with amplifier just speakers so I can't use it thats all, so say what you have to say I am over it all already . Enjoyed reading all the comments very intense some of them LOL !!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got to spend more time in this part of the forum; I've missed a rolicking conversation! :)

But I'm left puzzled by the whole affair. The "white van" stories seem to go along the lines of: "Our boss put too many speakers in the van for delivery. Rather than return them to inventory, we're selling them off the books and pocketing the money. Screw the boss and the company!" That is: the speakers are stolen, and regular folks have no problem buying stolen goods. Am I misunderstanding the scenario?

striker

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
My son was taken by this scam in Dunn N.C. on monday. Two white guys mid 20's wite van. if you see these boys say no thanks , then kick some a## . The speakers will make great paper weights guys. Remember what mom said ( if it sounds to good run like HELL ). sorry you people got taken just glad it was not a lot of money. but it seems these guys made retirement money. we all made these mistakes at one time or another. Can't trust anyone anymore can we.

chrissy

Auditioning
Real Name
chrissy
I also bought 2 sets of the 5 piece suround sound one was all black and the other was black and silver out of a white van also the all black one i just had to get an amp and the black and silver one works fine however they r not wireless but for $400 im not complaing im sorry for u guys that got scamed but if u have the all black one u can just go to the swap shop and buy a cheap amp

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You are one of them that got scammed, so you must be sorry for yourself. If you paid $400, you paid $350 too much. Did you get DiVinci, Kirsch, Palermo, iCinema, Image Reference, RDX, Olin Ross, or one of the other many brand names they use in these scams? See Wikipedia for more info on these scams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam
Scroll down the page to see the known brand names they use.
Why do you suppose you never see these systems in A/V stores for sale? Why do you not see them advertised in A/V magazines? There is a reason...................

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by chrissy
I also bought 2 sets of the 5 piece suround sound one was all black and the other was black and silver out of a white van also the all black one i just had to get an amp and the black and silver one works fine however they r not wireless but for $400 im not complaing im sorry for u guys that got scamed but if u have the all black one u can just go to the swap shop and buy a cheap amp
Chrissy:

Welcome to the HTF! I moved your post into a pre-existing thread on the same subject. We like to try and keep our discussions neat, orderly and all in one place. You will see in this thread that there are a number of others--like you--who have fallen for the white van scam.

elizabethz

Auditioning
Real Name
Elizabeth
Interesting thread - just an aside people are also selling some of these brands on EBAY too - just tonight in shopping around I have seen wahldorf, icinema and palermo on there - one icinema home theater system has a buy it now of $400, opening bid $200. I hadn't heard of any and googled to see what the heck they were, and yep, found this thread. If anyone wants to buy speakers from a van down by the river, that is your perogative but I would much rather get a set of Jamos or Bostons from Amazon. Speakers are a high-precision item and quality materials make for way better sounding and longer lasting speakers. You do get what you pay for so buyer beware.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley
Why do you suppose you never see these systems in A/V stores for sale? Why do you not see them advertised in A/V magazines? There is a reason...................
So they can cut out the middle man and sell at factory direct prices by bringing the store to you in a white van?
Sorry just putting on my white van salesman hat. If you are new to this thread aren't familiar with the white van scam my comment was sarcasm and not meant to be an endorsement. If you sell white van speakers please don't use it as a sales pitch.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
LOL Adam

Given the success of White Van sales I don't think these dudes need anymore selling tips. But it does appear their #1 strategy is pretty lame and revolves around "The Boss Screwed Up and loaded a second set of speakers from the warehouse and we are going to pass his screw up on to you". I am sure the WV guys profile customers and pick the ones who don't mind screwing the boss as they are agreeing to purchase what they think are stolen goods. It says a lot about the current morals and ethics found in our country that so many Americans don't have a problem buying stolen goods.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by CB750
LOL Adam

Given the success of White Van sales I don't think these dudes need anymore selling tips. But it does appear their #1 strategy is pretty lame and revolves around "The Boss Screwed Up and loaded a second set of speakers from the warehouse and we are going to pass his screw up on to you".
I was actually approached by the white van back in 1993 and they used that exact same line then. I guess if it works, no reason to change it (18 years later). And no I didn't buy any speakers that day.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I was approached back in the early 90s as well in a mall parking lot while I was walking into work. They said they had been sent out with too many speakers for a club install they had to do. They were trying to sell the extra speakers, and they were way better than the JBLs I had just bought the week prior. I wasn't familiar with the White Van Scam and the time, but I didn't need speakers and it just smelled funny to me. Maybe I just looked young and gullible?

I do find it ironic that the most (not all) of the people who are scammed are done so in a way that makes them think they are scamming or taking advantage of someone else.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
I do find it ironic that the most (not all) of the people who are scammed are done so in a way that makes them think they are scamming or taking advantage of someone else.
Karma?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks