So I finally got KotOR yesterday...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Saurav, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

... and now I know why all you guys stopped playing RtCW. This could become a pretty addictive game [​IMG] I hope it's nice and long.

I want a lightsaber! No, I want 2!

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

so you just got the game, huh? Enjoy the late nights and early mornings and say bye-bye to sleep

3. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Yeah, well take my advice. Scour this forum for certain traits and characteristics to build your character upon. I got to the final boss battle with my sparkly white light jedi and I repeatedly have my ass handed to me because I didn't power up with any real useful force powers. So therefore, Im NEVER going to be able to defeat the last guy after having played for nearly 40 hours!!!

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Well, that's the tough decision - I've intentionally stayed away from the KotOR threads on here, because I knew I was going to buy it some day. I'd like to know some tips (and I've heard there are some situations that can lead to game crashes), but at the same time, I don't want to learn too much about the storyline.

5. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Later, when you have to pick one person to do something, if you pick a stealthy person, make sure they aren't stealthed when you're drawing to a close of that bit. That's the biggest one. Also, save often and keep multiple save files.

I made my character into a combat monster, but I spent almost all my skill points on persuade, which I find to be the most satisfying and useful skill for the pc to have. It's that or computer/repair. Others can handle everything else. Having repair and computer at high levels can allow you to do some cool things later, though.

The rundown on combat: I find that using two melee weapons works best. Have a high strength and good dex, and distribute the rest of your attributes as you see fit. Get two weapon fighting maxed out. Specialize in melee if you want, but once you get a lightsaber you won't use anything but the lightsaber, so I would spend it on something else. As the game wears on I like to load up my lightsabers with items that increase the likelihood of a critical hit as well as the damage of a critical hit, so critical strike or whatever it's called is pretty good. For force powers, you can't go wrong with force immunity and force speed. Having another character know that one where it increases everyone's attributes is good as well, I forget what that's called.

6. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I have one tip that you'll need to remember in order to avoid the buggest bug in the game. I've made it very general as to avoid spoilers:

Use "Stealth Mode" sparingly, if at all

There is a problem where cutscenes will hang if one of your characters is in stealth mode, and it's a PITA if it happens. It happened to me, and I spent a good deal of time trying to fix the problem.

Edited to add: oops...James beat me to it!

7. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

OK, I'll try and remember that. There was one point where I hit a cutscene when I was in stealth mode (just entered the lower city level, the cutscene where the 2 gangs are fighting). I got past that once, but forgot to save, and then spent the rest of the evening retrying that fight [​IMG]

So right now I'm in the black Valkur (sp?) base looking for that prototype accelator. Someome please tell me that I have a looooooooong way to go before the game ends [​IMG]

I'm a male scout. Combat - I seem to do better with dual blasters (ion in one hand, heavy in the other). I tried with swords a couple of times, but did really badly. My Wookie seems to be really good with swords, so that's what I gave him. I do plan to switch to lightsabers once I find them though, so should I be practicing/fighting with swords more?

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

OK, I do plan to learn some desctructive magic, IMO that's the most fun kind. I accidentally got a dark Jedi point when I bullied a woman who sold me a droid that blew up the moment I left her shop. So.... how does the dark vs. light thing go? In other words, if I do equal parts of dark and light things, does that affect my character development? Will I be able to do certain things/exercise certain powers only if I'm mostly light or mostly dark? I believe the storyline and ending changes based on whether you're dark or light, right?

If these questions can't be answered without giving too much away, then don't answer them [​IMG] I guess all I'm asking is, do I always have to do the right (or wrong) thing; will I lose/sacrifice anything by being an ambiguous character?

10. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Heh... thanks [​IMG]

12. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I went with 2 lightsabers, maxed knight speed, and flurry. You can pretty much slice and dice whoever you want, including the last boss.

13. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

14. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

15. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Hmmm... so if I want to be a light Jedi but use dark powers, I'm in a little bit of trouble. And that's exactly what I want to do [​IMG]

Maybe I should have followed the Jedi master's advice and become the fighter Jedi, and then used my magic just for healing/etc. But someone here advised against that, and that goes against how I like to play, I like to fight with magic too. So I picked the middle Jedi class (some fighting, some magic), let's see how that works out for me.

16. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

17. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Maybe I'll go back through my save games and re-play this section and become a Jedi fighting class then. Sounds like the best strategy for how I'd want to play this.

Thanks for the advice.

18. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Frankly, I think it's kind of an indeibtment of the system that you can just mow enemies down with your saber all day and it's alright, but use the force to kill someone and you're doing something wrong. I'm all for avoiding conflict, but when it's inevitable why not use all the resources at your disposable? I guess arguably you have to be angry to harness the dark side powers... I don't know.

19. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

Saurav

Don't forget, your game time is closer to 70 hours if you decide to go for both ending as well. You can definately trim 10 - 15 hours off the second run through. I went full light side the first time, and still have to get back to the second play through. I am pretty excited about it as some of the dark side choices in the conversation you have are down right hilarious. Enjoy the game man.

20. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I desperately wish you could board the Ebon Hawk on the last level and fly off to another planet for another opportunity to level up / obtain different force powers!