What's new

so Does Anyone here like 80s Music? (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I only know one Level 42 song (one guess which one), and it is one of my all-time favorite songs. That should cause me to explore them in more depth, but I never have.

The obvious guess is Running In The Family. Personally my favourite 42 song is Something About You (by a wide margin), followed by Lessons In Love.

Danny, I like Men At Work as well. Curious that nearly 20 years after it was a big hit, they got sued for copyright infringement (Down Under) -- and they lost, but because of time-bar issues, at least damages were only limited to royalties payable over the last six years, and presumably they are obliged to continue paying (sharing?) royalties going forward.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Something About You. I don't think Running in the Family was a hit in the US. I've never heard of it, at any rate.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Something About You. I don't think Running in the Family was a hit in the US. I've never heard of it, at any rate.

I, too, only have heard one Level 42 song ever played on US radio, and that's "Something About You". I've heard the song "Running in the Family" before, and it along with "Something About You", prompted me to buy the "Level Best" best-of compilation. It's a great way to explore the catalog of the band and Level 42 is so much more their one hit in the US.

Which also can be said about Spandau Ballet. I know everyone has heard of their single, "True", but again, the band is so much more than just that single. For example, their follow-up album to "True" (the album), "Parade" is much more polished and mature (which you may not like). Their early output is much more funk-oriented, just like Level 42.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Didn't know that RITF wasn't a big hit in the US -- it certainly was here, and I believe in the UK (their home market) as well, probably bigger than SAY. Oh well, goes to show that it isn't a truly global market yet.

One "oddity" was that a kid called Tommy Page had a huge hit here with "Shoulder to Cry On", but I don't think it got very far in the US (his home) or anywhere else. I remember being tickled by the fact that his reps said, in PR interviews when he visited here, that Singapore was "a very strong market for us" -- I got the impression it was basically his _only_ market...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming

One "oddity" was that a kid called Tommy Page had a huge hit here with "Shoulder to Cry On", but I don't think it got very far in the US (his home) or anywhere else. I remember being tickled by the fact that his reps said, in PR interviews when he visited here, that Singapore was "a very strong market for us" -- I got the impression it was basically his _only_ market...

Tommy Page was an "one hit wonder" here in the US. He was a much bigger star in Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks