What's new

so Does Anyone here like 80s Music? (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 80's had a lot to offer. 70's acts that kept on truckin' like Genesis/Phil Collins, Yes, The Police/Sting, Rush, Toto, The Tubes, Hewy Lewis & the News, The Cars, etc along with Tears For Fears, Soft Cell, Simple Minds, Big Country, and Midnight Oil. I liked the sound of the slick early 80's hard rock groups like White Snake, Rainbow and Shooting Star.

And even though I wasn't his biggest fan, Michael Jackson has to be mentioned.

And you can't ignore how hugely popular Country Music was back then.

It was a "fun" decade for the most part.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was just listening to Eddie Rabbit/Crystal Gayle's You and I on YT last night, and the kids were marveling, "This was country?" Yep, and Alabama and Restless Heart. Like these kids, I don't care for modern country, either. Nor modern R&B. Jeffrey Osbourne, James Ingram, Lionel Richie, Billy Ocean . . . we all listened to it and it was wonderful.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hmm. This one misses the cut, but it was out the last few months of my high school year, so it seems '80s to me. I'd forgotten about it completely until recently.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Nice one Greg - I had forgotten that song as well. Here is another favorite, turn it up!

I loves me some jangly guitars.....

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Love the Don Dixon song...hadn't heard it in years! I actually heard this one on an all 80's show on the radio last night....

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Carl,

Great selection - lots of memories from that one!!!

Here is some new wave 80s that may have saved my life once upon a time...

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Hmm - sort of like Lays potato chips no one can eat just one...my first impulse before the Furs was actually this song which showed up as "related": The Plimsouls

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Christopher, the Psychedelic Furs were probably the first "new wave" group I ever got into beyond the big hit singles. The Plimsouls strangely enough, I never heard of until the 90's at some point.

This one was the song of my freshman year in college....you couldn't walk anywhere on campus without hearing it blare from the dorms:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Carl,

Oh yes, The Talking Heads - so many good choices there it is hard to post just one so......

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
As I sit at a remote work site, - I found an 80's streaming station.....playing a lot of the songs you guys mentioned. They also have a history section - showing the artist, song, and year it came out. As a song comes on that I like and have forgotten about, I can purchace it and load up the ipod.

Part of the app has a tab that shows you the Lyrics of the playing song, and a tab that has a writeup on the bands history and a cover art picuture.

Check it out...

http://www.977music.com/

After selecting the above link, scroll down, and under "The 80's [COLOR= #9f9f9f]Internet Radio Station" [/COLOR]

you can select to start in either Windows Media or Flash...

After I start it - I usually minimize the window and just listen....and if something good comes on, maximize the window and check out the other goodies...

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Hello Lee,

Always good to meet another music fan. Since you are posting in the 80s music thread do you have any favorites?

Here is another fave of mine from back in the day....

The The - Uncertain Smile

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It strikes me that there are some other sorts of classic '80s albums. . .

Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice For All by Metallica. (Incidentally, Metallica's latest album is a very welcome return to their classic '80s style.)

Among the Living by Anthrax.

Reign In Blood by Slayer.

Peace Sells. . .But Who's Buying and Rust In Peace by Megadeth. Screaming For Vengeance by Judas Priest.

About a half-dozen discs from Iron Maiden. :)

Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws by Marillion.

And of course, the very first album of the '80s (released on January 1, 1980), and possibly the best, Permanent Waves by Rush. Not to mention Moving Pictures and Signals.

Either that or Purple Rain. :)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Aaron,

I agree with all that you have listed. I would not call myself a metal head but can appreciate and enjoy all of those artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks