What's new

So, any thing new up with classic Dic cartoons DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Gord just posted the formal press releases on the main site, it looks like the Heathcliff date is September 20th like they listed. They are doing 24 episode volumes with extras so this is slightly better than the Garfield setup.

Paul

Joe:C

Second Unit
So are Heathcliff, The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Inspector Gadget and Sabrina The Animated Series the only shows licensed, or were those just mentioned as an example?

Pavan_P

Second Unit
I wonder what happened with UAV? It seems Shout! will release more than just 4 episodes or whatever amount they had with Mario and Gadget.

I'm hoping they'll release the animated Dennis the Menace!

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Here's hoping a good collection of Inspector Gadget cartoons coming soon! (Now if Paramount can just release Get Smart)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Those are the first titles they're looking at, but the deal involves the opportunity to release ANY DiC property.

UAV is still in the picture, but they'll be releasing single-disc titles. DiC wanted to find a company that understood how boxed sets should be, and I think Shout! will do a wonderful job on them.

Gord

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Does that include Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM)? I've heard rumors (at the address below) that Disney owns a part of the series and doesn't want it released. I doubted the rumor at first, but a complete lack of releases after Super Sonic seems to support the claim.

satamsonic.com/suportsu.html

Second Unit

It seems like they're looking at the more well known properties first then (didn't know Sabrina had a following). It's good to see these shows in good hands and not just getting those 3 episode releases.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm also really hoping they get to Dennis The Menace as well and give us complete season sets of C.O.P.S.

I really hope they do proper remasters of the transfers unlike UAV's crappy video ports. It'll feel great to introduce those volumes to the trash!

One question though... Maybe I didn't read the press release thoroughly but I don't believe the actual mention of "Season" sets was brought up, simply 24 episode box set and "volume 1".

I was under the impression that Shout! was going to release these series as complete show sets. Is that the pattern we should still expect?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Marco, it all depends on the number of episodes the series ran. They'll likely release complete sets if the show didn't have many episodes, or volumes if it ran for awhile.

Gord

Second Unit
Zelda only had thirteen episodes so that'll probably be released as a complete series. SMBSS had 52 episodes so I would imagine it will be released in 2 volumes.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wasn't Sony's Astroboy release something like 50+ episodes? If Super Mario is a half hour show, Than it shouldn't be a problem.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
This is so awesome. Finally DIC gives us what we want. I personally would love season sets of Sherlock Holmes, Carmen Sandiego, Mummies Alive, C.O.P.S., Archie's Weird Mysteries, Bump in the Night, ProStars, Captain N & Cow Boys of Moo Mesa.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
JimBeaver and others... I suggest you take a peak at KoreanDVDs.com - It's a legit site for R3 Korean domestic releases which are ALL conveniently NTSC format.

There is a Dennis The Menace 4-disc box set.

a Sonic The Hedgehog 4-disc box set.

For Jim... Bump In The Night and Sherlock box sets and many other series.

They are all English audio without forced subs and really nice English box art!

I'm personally waiting myself to see what Sony brings us... hopefull Dennis The Menace will get a release among the other great DIC shows listed. But I have a feeling I'll likely be jumping on that Sonic boxset next year (I'll give the studio some time to saturate the R1 market)...

Reed N

Auditioning

Close, but not quite accurate. "The Legend of Zelda" is PART of the "Super Mario Bros. Super Show." The SMBSS was 65 episodes long (the minimum for syndication). Each episode was structured with a live-action skit with live-action Mario Brothers split in half, bookending a cartoon. On Monday through Thursday, that cartoon was "The Super Mario Bros." On Fridays, that cartoon was "The Legend of Zelda." 13 episodes included Zelda cartoons, while the rest included Mario cartoons.

A Zelda-only set would probably result in the removal of the Mario live-action segments, being out-of-place, and leaving no home for these lost segments.It would also probably mean we would not see the original "scenes from the next Zelda episode" promos that aired on Thursdays during the second half of the live-action segments. One of these segments can be found on the SMBSS release by Lion's Gate called "Mario's Greatest Movie Moments" if you complete the trivia game and sit through the Mario cartoo segment. No other home video release or TV broadcast besides the original has these lost Zelda-promo segments.

I would prefer to see just a single, Super Mario Bros. Super Show! multi-box release, with all episodes in original broadcast order, including the original music, which DiC has inexplicably toyed with since its original airing. If the UK can release the music uncut, why can't we? Although, the UK releases are missing the Zelda episodes....hmmm.

If S!F does decide to release Zelda separately, I would hope they still include the Zelda episode on the SMBSS sets, since it is probably more likely that someone will want to buy the Zelda cartoons but not Mario, as opposed to wanting the Mario cartoons but not Zelda (Zelda was a better cartoon in most cases). I.e., I hope they basically do what UAV had planned, but in box set form: all the SMBSS episodes in broadcast order with some cool extras (if possible/available) and at an accessible price.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed someone already mentioned much of what I said about Zelda being part of the SMBSS, and in fewer words. My apologies for being repetitive.

Second Unit
Yes, but it looks like they will be releasing the shows seperately. Those Zelda promos could wind up as special features.

Reed N

Auditioning
We can only hope. But with the thorough inclusion of extras announced for their first Heathcliff box, my hopes are on the up and up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks