What's new

Snow Dogs Will it be Released in W-I-D-E S-C-R-E-E-N (1 Viewer)

Michael Coate

Stunt Coordinator
I don't recall the AR of this movie, and IMDB doesn't say. Was it 1.85 or 2.35?
1.85:1

By the way, I received a review copy of "Snow Dogs" yesterday. Yes, it is 1.33:1 (sigh). I'm not sure if *this* bit of info has been discussed here but it will possibly further infuriate some of the enthusiasts...the DVD also has a DTS track.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
How many people who bought DTS equipment PREFER pan and scan??? I suppose some must exist, but that's still ridiculous. Are they hoping we'll be happy to buy this and just LISTEN to it? :D

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Sooo glad I read this thread. Had planned on buying it for my son...but I WILL NOT PURCHASE FULL-SCREEN/PAN&SCAN DVDs. I didn't save up all those months to purchase an expensive 16:9 RPTV just to watch 2/3 of a movie screen. I want the OAR! As a customer, I deserve the OAR!
BTW, does anyone actually believe that Disney's top studio execs DON'T have top-of-the-line WIDESCREEN home theater systems installed in their own homes??? What were they thinking here? Don't punish the rest of us just because some consumers don't like "the black bars on the screen"!:angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
BTW, does anyone actually believe that Disney's top studio execs DON'T have top-of-the-line WIDESCREEN home theater systems installed in their own homes???
Interesting point. Maybe we should work with all TV Hardware manufacturers to supply 16:9 TV's to all studio execs who don't have them. Then there would be more motivation for widescreen releases! :laugh:

Mark_Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I printed out some of those business cards at widescreenadvocate.com and went to BestBuy. At my location the movies have a clear strip of plastic that holds them in place and they also put the price information here. Well, I slipped some of those business cards in behind the plastic strips in front of the fullscreen selections when no one was looking. I also thought about designing a t-shirt that had pan&scan vrs widescreen info on the back. I would wear the shirt every time I would go to buy DVD's. Then I would go and stand by the full screen selections.Businesscard

Joe Kim

Auditioning
Here is my short but succinct email to Disney with an equally short reply. Thanks to DaViD Boulet for the email link.

To whom it may concern,

I would briefly like to say that I only purchase DVD's in their original

aspect ratio. I purchase approximately 25 DVD's per month. I recently

went to purchase Snow Dogs and was shocked to see that it is available in

Pan & Scan only. Needless to say, I did not purchase it and will not

purchase Pan & Scan versions of DVD's from any studio, Disney included.

Please produce DVD's in their original aspect ratio.

Thank you

Joe Areias

Joe,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us. Your comments

will be passed along to our Marketing Department for their future

consideration.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BTW, does anyone actually believe that Disney's top studio execs DON'T have top-of-the-line WIDESCREEN home theater systems installed in their own homes???
Good point! And I'm sure that those same execs also received a "special" run of "Snow Dogs" in widescreen for their children to watch on those systems, as well.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The way some of the execs think, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have ANY video equipment at home! Some seem to only care about the numbers they bring in, they don't bother to watch anything!

Chris Lock

Second Unit
I noticed that Best Buy's & Circuit City's Sunday ads for "Snow Dogs" didn't mention it being P&S. I wonder how many people who want OAR won't notice it's P&S & buy it by mistake. :thumbsdown: (Yet another reason for releasing OAR only.)

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
This is not good... I understand why they should have pan and scan (when I was a kid I HATED those black bars, I thought they just put them over the movie and no matter what my dad said I still hated them) but they should have both versions. It's extremly obnoxious to only have one type when better technology exists at the same price.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Has everyone called *and* emailed Disney about this yet? Be sure to mention Muppet Treasure Island (wanting it widescreen) while you're at it.
Something else we can all do. Go to Walmart and buy Snow Dogs. Then return it saying you're upset that it's only P/S and not widescreen. Be sure Walmart records the reason for your return. This hits Walmart's marketing like a fist and it will in turn affect the demands they place on the studios for P/S.
-dave

Kevin P

Screenwriter
ALERT
I stumbled into the Snow Dogs DVDs at Best Buy, and there is NO indication of aspect ratio on either the front of the case or on the top sticker. No "FULL FRAME EDITION" emblazoned on the front. The top sticker says only "SNOW DOGS". You have to look on the back to determine that it's MARred.
This will no doubt cause many to grab the disc and buy it not realizing that it's butchered. Which is probably what the studios want--"Hey, look at how well this FULL FRAME ONLY edition of Snow Dogs is selling!!"
My wife will be disappointed that I didn't pick up a copy for her when I was there... oh well. ;)
KJP

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Some of us out there be sure to purchase the poorly labeled version (from walmart) and then return it with a complaint. Then you can call disney and let them know you were frustrated by their poor package labeling...that you purchased it by mistake and returned it when you found out it was not widescreen.

Others who don't live near a walmart (which accepts returns from customers frustrated with the aspect ratio of their DVD purchase) can at least call Disney and let them know how you *almost* purchased it until you read the fine-print and that you're very up set that A. it's not widescreen B. that it's so poorly labeled as to confuse a consumer who prefers widescreen.

-dave

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
from DVDfile's "10 Questions with the Director of 'Snow Dogs'":
Snow Dogs is finally coming to DVD, but Disney has decided to release the film in full frame only. Did that piss you off?
I wish it were possible to just press a button and see the film in the format one prefers...
#1 - Nice non-answer. :rolleyes
#2 - It is possible. I can't decide if he's being sarcastic or just ignorant.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Exactly.

Electronic-pan-and-scan is a "button press" solution.

I'm heading over to read the interview but I'm already feeling upset. Those who can be "heard" by the studios need to push this feature until Disney gets it.

-dave

Robert George

Screenwriter
If there is anyone reading this thread that has a widescreen TV and would like to see Snow Dogs, I suggest giving it a go.

I watched the DVD last night with my DVD player in "zoom" mode (RP91) and I found that about 98% of the movie looked very well balanced zoomed in to 1.78:1. Only a few shots looked like something was cropped off the top or bottom. it apears this transfer is, for the most part, true "open matte". Obviously not as good as a proper widescreen transfer, but if you want to see the movie...

M

MaxY

Actually Obi,
i really wanted to see it and yes I have the widesreen set.
I am kind of resisting in principal though. :)
Max

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to Steve for finding this contact info.
Walmart Contact Info:
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Attn: Customer Service
702 S.W. 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716
1-800-WALMART (1-800-925-6278) or 479-273-4000.
Fill out their online form:
http://161.165.200.61/wmstore/wmstores/HomePage.jsp
(click on "contact us" at the bottom and then click on on-line form)

go to it troops!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks