What's new

SNL Season Four Announced (1 Viewer)

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Do you know this for a fact?

Here are my comments on this from another forum.

"While not nearly as bad as a "Best Of" collection, a "combo pack" of season 6 with 7 would not be a very desirable solution in my opinion. Every season should be allowed to stand on its own merit as a unique identity.

I don't think it would happen anyhow as you would be looking at an 11 disc set which in all probability would dictate Universal charging a higher price point compared to each of the more popular first five seasons. That would be a good way to negatively affect impulse buying decisions among casual fans. I can't see a volume discount being offered for two seasons in one package, simply because there is a good chance they may not sell as many units compared to the first five individually. That combined with additional music licensing rights to clear and they have to make up the difference somewhere. A five disc set for season six on its own would obviously take less time to prepare and more importantly would at least in theory be lower in price than any season previously released. A lower SRP and sensible promotion (like emphasizing Eddie Murphy) are two key factors to possibly allow a less popular season like six to be commercially viable.

That being said, if I had to bet I would say that season 12 will be released after season 5 unfortunately."

Adding to my comments, if you wanted to have any extras more than just briefly in length then you would need a 12 disc set for this “combo pack” idea. With season 6 on its own there would be plenty of room for extras due to having only one episode on the 5th disc.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
I’d like to see a poll conducted to see how many people would like to have the bumper photography included in these releases. With season four most likely to have them cut also that would bring the count now close to 700 spots where bumpers have been removed for the purpose of creating a “pulled-up version of the live show”.

DV - Features - Live From New York - Restoring SNL For DVD

If my suspicions are correct that the minority of the fans are either like myself who really want them included or else fall in to the other category of those who do not think they belong on the DVDs then that leaves the majority. Those who perhaps think that while it would be nice to have them included it is not really too big of a deal, they’re just happy to have all of the sketches and musical performances. If that is the case then the bumpers really should be left intact in these sets because they are truly a unique part of the series.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Regarding season 6, I hope they do release it. I've personally never seen any of those episodes and all the talk about how bad it was definitely piques my curiosity.

I'd say it could be marketed though. Since the set only consists of 13 episodes, the MSRP could / should be considerably lower than previous sets. Use a picture of Piscopo & Murphy for the front cover (2 faces many fans will recognize) and bingo.

Mind you, it may not be good news for season 7 once people see how bad 6 is. They may not be inclined to buy. Still though, I want them to contnue in chronological order. I'd only collect up until the mid '90's anyway after Chris Rock and Adan Sandler left. That was when I lost interest.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
they really should just wait until BluRay catches on so they can just cram an entire season on a single BluRay disc. The show was only shot on regular video so they don't need to give it any 1080p upgrade.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

The studios are avoiding this sort of Blu-ray release like the plague. They don't want to give consumers the impression that Blu-ray gives you anything other than the best possible hi-def picture. Don't look for standard-def video on a Blu-ray Disc anytime too soon, unless an indie studio decides to try to buck the trend (and likely incur the wrath of the Blu-ray Disc Association at the same time).

My thought on S6 is that they could put out their standard release, at the standard price, but use the extra space for tons of bonus material that takes us behind the scenes of the show, especially in those early years. That would be a sure-fire way to draw in the fans to an otherwise sucky season.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
If they're concerned that the low quality S6 episodes will turn buyers off from picking up S7-9, perhaps a possible bonus feature for S6 could be a "preview" of some highlights from those seasons--not full sketches, but quick takes of some amusing moments to get people thinking, "Hmm, this set sucked, but those years look pretty funny." A coupon for a few dollars off S7 would be a nice incentive too.

Otherwise, I'm sure there are alternative distribution methods they can pursue. I think every season of SNL is gonna have an audience on DVD, but admittedly, not every season will have the same demand. Maybe an NBC.com/Amazon exclusive (although not burn-on-demand).

I was kind of hoping for Blues Brothers cover art, just because that would put Aykroyd on the cover of all four of his seasons, and I'm not a huge fan of the Nerds to be honest. But I'm just excited to have another season on my shelf.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
To answer Cheetah, no, I don't know for sure what Universal plans to do with their releases. But I do know that Lorne Michaels has had a big say in what NBC and Universal have made available to date. For years, he did not include episodes from the Ebersol years or the disastrous 1980 season in the rerun queue.

The other part of it is that I saw episodes from the 1980 season when they originally aired, and I still remember being shocked at how bad they were. And I've followed the show and its history since the early years. I admit not following it much since 1994 - I tried a few times and saw a few sketches that were pretty funny (The "More Cowbell" bit with Christopher Walken, the "Joe Pesci Show" bit with Pesci and DeNiro showing up) but in the last few years I haven't been watching it very often.

Trying to put out the 6th season with a cover showing Eddie Murphy would be a bit misleading. Murphy isn't even in all the episodes, and is only briefly seen when he first comes on. And to be painfully honest, the only funny bits that I saw tended to either be his brief appearances on Weekend Update or some of Joe Piscopo's characters. The only Ebersol show of the season directly addresses all this, with Al Franken opining on camera that the show should be put down. I strongly doubt that a season set of this would sell, even if they included a quick interview with Jean Doumanian or Dick Ebersol to say where they think things had gone wrong. And including some clips from the coming seasons as a sales incentive would be a cruel manuever - "Buy this season and you can see a few clips from the other, better years..."

We'll see - they may try to sell a smaller season set (I think it would likely just be a four disc set, with some of the new cast screen tests and whatever else they can pull out of the vaults. I'd personally love to see video of Michael O'Donoghue's infamous rant at the cast and writers of the show when he came back on board, but that's just wishful thinking.

Jumping to Michaels' return season wouldn't do much better, as that year was almost as bad - this time with everyone expecting Michaels would just make a better show and then getting a rude surprise. (Not too many people remember the show he had tried to do the year before returning to SNL - "The New Show", which just bombed in spite of having some very talented people involved. I remember watching it and being puzzled - although I did enjoy John Candy playing Rod Serling's son Chris presenting his new five minute series "The Twilight Zone-ette"...)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I'm not wild about the cover art but I am excited about the set coming out. One more season for me and I'm finished with the series. I can't wait.

As for my thoughts on the season six set...well...I only saw the season opener for that season and it wasn't all that memorable. I personally think that they should continue the releases in chronological order. While I will not be buying any further seasons, there are folks out there that do want the 80s run of the show and they should be given the opportunity to purchase them.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie

Ditto! I don't own any of these yet- but I'll likely be buying them eventually (especially season 5- thank you, Cory3rd!)- and I'd buy right up to and including about 1983-84. (I really do not understand for the life of me, how the show has continued to exist for another quarter of a century, when the only attribute it seems to possess now and for the last 25 years, is it's notoriety for not being funny!).

Not that the late 70's/early 80's shows were by any means perfect...but they did have some very memorable moments. And I don't know what it is about these old SNL shows, but they seem to be the epitome of nostalgia for that time period!

For me, it's not so much the shows content and comedy that I want to re-experience (I remember most of the skits I really liked- they're stil;l embedded in my mind)- but rather, it's the re-living of the memories of actually watching the shows, which is what appeals to me.

IMO, the 80's was when TV was starting to die (with a few notable exceptions)- and SNL was one of the few shows of the time that I remember
watching- and even eagerly anticipating. It was like a ritual- hunker down on a Saturday night with some tunafish sandwiches and iced tea and other snacks..and watch SNL- it was one of the few shows which truly provided entertainment, in that it really took ones mind off of reality (although often parodying it) and gave you the feeling that "real people" much like yourself were on TV.

By the mid 80's, except for a few classic syndicated shows like the Odd Couple and All In The Family...I had pretty much given up TV.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Just looked at the DVD of "SNL in the 80's Lost & Found" again. Mostly skims the surface of what can be found in the "Live from New York" interview book and the "Saturday Night" gossip collection, but it still covers the bases of what happened after the initial cast left. For anyone curious here about that time, I recommend it.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie

Ya know what's funny? In the past, I'd watch those various compilation videos that assembled "the best of" the early SNL year skits....and they NEVER put the best skits in those vid! (Luckily, I hadn't bought them- but borrowed/rented them!)

Sometimes I think of those experiences, and say "Do I really want to buy these DVDs?". But I know the "whole experience", with the monologues and ALL the skits and musical performances and everything, will be different.

And here's a little something for that good girl Goldie:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
She's about blind because of her cancer, and one nostral doesn't work but she sure loves to eat! I get her shots each month that keep her appetite working. She'd finished off that whole pile in a few minutes. In fact, she'd love it if peanut butter was smeared all over those biscuits.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie

Awww. My old dog is slowing down a lot too- but thank goodness, her appetite and bowel control still remain strong. (In her case, I think having a younger dog around to help keep her active helps too!). The only complaint I've ever had with dogs is that they just don't live long enough.....

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The only complaint I have with my niece Angel Marie (red nosed pitbull, also known as "completely spoiled princess") is that it is exceedingly difficult to conduct a DVD review when your view of the movie is continually obstructed by DOG IN THE FACE. I've learned not to do review work in the afternoon as it just leads to lots of whining, begging and the LOOK until I drop everything, step outside with her and discover that all she wanted to do was go eat the grass across the street! And then I fall for it again 20 minutes later! I tell ya...

And it doesn't help that I pour lots and lots of attention on her when I get home. Never enough. Except when her mother (my roommate) comes home. Then she drops me like a wet muffin and scampers off for fresh attention.

But all this is beside the point of discussing SNL's upcoming 4th season DVD release. Which I'm sure I'll be evaluating. If Angel will permit it.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
(((Kevin submits proof that our dogs are often more entertaining than any TV show!))) :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My dog Bear lived a long time thanks to an awesome little stray dog I ended up keeping about 3 years ago. Even though Bear was Goldie's mother, it was Bear and this puippy who were best buddies. Bear really did become a puppy for a little while longer. But age caught up with her last year at this time. :frowning:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
:emoji_thumbsup:

My Scooter is a big TV watcher. All other dogs I've had were disinterested. Her favorite movie is Planet of the apes. But Homeward Bound scared her...that bear scene came up and she hid behind the footstool (I'm not exaggerating on that). She'll go right up to where I have the TV (on a short cabinet w/ drawers) and look all around it for animals.

Scooter even likes SNL! Particularly when people address the camera.

Forgive the picture, but this is perhaps my fav pet picture I'd taken... Scooter on the left showing how much she loves having the attention by posing, and (the late) Bear showing some 'tude! Bear was a big sweetie, but only looked/sounded like she wanted to tear your throat out.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/2/2b/htf_imgcache_34637.jpeg] [/url]

To get this back to SNL (*giggle giggle*), one time host Richard Pryor loved dogs. The last year or so of his life he, with others, was offering a BIG reward (eventually rose to $20,000) for info leading to the capture of the person/s responsible for torturing and killing a dog.

HERE'S A LINK TO THE STORY. BUT A WARNING...IT'S GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks