What's new

SNL Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I have heard that Lorne Michaels wasn't happy with the Berle episode (apparently Uncle Miltie felt likewise- the stories of how he tried to upstage the SNL cast onscreen have become legendary), so it wasn't part of the syndication package. Anyone remember Miskel Spillman, the little old lady who won the "Anyone Can Host" contest? I wonder if Lorne will try that stunt again.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
We all have hindsight. Charles Rocket probably looked like another Chase at the time. Murphy was young and maybe even a little shy. He's always had that "little kid acting goofy to entertain his family" vibe like Billy Crystal has. The producer certainly considered that. Jim Carrey must have been awfully young and green at the time. I'll bet Rocket never held back a thing, for better or for worse. An in-your-face arrogant type that might have reminded one of John Belushi or something. YOu just never know.

I can't wait to see each and every season again. I hope they will give me that opportunity by not skipping any seasons. Maybe they could double up some of the lesser seasons if that's possible. Regardless, I'll be buying each one they release if they are done like the ones so far, uncut as much as possible. I haven't seen much of this stuff since it originally aired. Among other things (Monty Python, MST3K) this shaped the kind of person I am today. Very important to me personally that these get released so I can buy them.

texboil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Robbins

The Eric Idle show from the fourth season was one show that Warner Home Video released in the 80s on VHS, so not much rare about that show. It was a double-show tape paired with Idle's show from the fifth season. Which featured Bob Dylan, but the musical guests on the double-show tapes were edited out . . .

The best thing about season four will be seeing the Berle episode intact. While I've never seen any of it, I'm sure any one-hour rerun eliminated his torch song at the end, which I'm dying to see.

I'm surprised there isn't more grousing here about lack of extras on these sets. But maybe people are like me and are just happy to have season sets of a show most of us never thought we'd have season sets of. But the history of this show is so rich and the stories so numerous that the lack of at least a "Inside Look" a la Seinfeld for most shows is a real shame.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Considering the high costs of the music licensing, perhaps there just isn't money in the budget to produce extras and pay people to participate.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks
I wouldn't mind having season 6 for one episode only...the final episode of the season, which was supposed to be the first of several produced by Dick Ebersol. It was hosted by Chevy Chase and still suffered from fairly weak writing...and Chevy was clearly ill at ease resuming his spot as host of Weekend Update.

That Weekend Update, though, featured a biting commentary by Al Franken, who insisted that "the show is going to be a ***little*** better...no English speaking person can do a worse job than Jean." He maintained, though, that it was "time to put this tired old format to bed," and urged viewers to deluge NBC with "Put SNL to Sleep" postcards.

Al Franken was to be the guest host of the following week's episode, but a writer's stike put an abrupt halt to those plans. He encouraged viewers to watch that next episode...but not to watch after that.

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator

I kind of feel the single-disc specials (The First Five Years, Lost & Found) fill this void. Would be nice if they came with the sets, but they do give a decent overview of how the show was evolving behind the scenes.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I think marketed as "SNL : The Lost Season" Season 6 might just do well on DVD!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
*does sloppy cartwheel across the thread*
*crashes into side of thread spilling smilies all over the floor*

Live! From Home Theater Forum! It's...

Very happy about this news, official or no.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks