What's new

SNL Season 2 (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Nice, I'm glad these season sets have proven successful enough to ramp up the releases. Although I guess now I am going to have to fast track the completion of season 2. I actually have to manage my DVD watching.

One thing I noticed is that on the TVshowsonDVD announcement, there is no mention of the season being uncut and I can't help but thinking that eventually there will be clearances that they just wont be able to get. But they do state that the info they have is preliminary.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if you meant the filmed piece or the MTM sketch, William, but the MTM sketch is definitely included.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't think censorship of sketches will be a problem on these releases since they do not have to conform to network TV standards. So things that were cut out of later reruns can be re-inserted. As they should be.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It would be great with this news of season 3 coming in May if we can get season 4 by the end of the year. I'd love to finish my SNL set next year.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

Anthony, thank you! The MTM sketch was the one I had in mind. In an audiotape that I have of an NBC rebroadcast of this episode, a first season film by Albert Brooks had been substituted for the sketch.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Season 3 already? I held off on Season 2 until I could swing by Costco (they had it for $41, the lowest price I've seen anywhere), only to find that just days after I discovered the deal, they were pulled. There were a TON of them there as well-- I wonder what remainder house gets the discs after Costco shelves them. So I'll be waiting for the next DD sale.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm glad that the 'limited edition' and digipak releases will be under different UPCs for S3.
Unlike what TVShowsonDVD reported yesterday, on the day of release for Season 2 there were both digipak and book-style versions available in stores. The Circuit City in my neighborhood only had the digipak on the day of release, so I thought that was the only version released - needless to say, I was very annoyed when I arrived home and didn't find the scrapbook included.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I think the main reason this is done is so that retailers with those spring-loaded merchandisers like Wal-Mart and Circuit City can display them alongside other new releases.

Both of my SNL seasons came from Target where there's more accommodating shelving.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
This could be a dumb question, but I noticed this in the Ruth Gordon episode. Near the very end after Mr. Mike's Least Loved Bedtime Tales where the camera goes into the audience and captions a guy with "Brought Here Under Guard", is that O.J. sitting on the Guy's right?

If not, it's pretty much his exact double.

Jay*W

Second Unit
I just got the limited edition version of Season 2 only to discover that there was no scrapbook in the package. Does anyone know how I can contact Universal to get the missing scrapbook? Thanks in advance,

Jay

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Are you sure that you got the limited edition?
The regular edition says that a scrapbook is included, but it's not.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I could use that info too. Mine was missing the booklet too. It is definitely the limited edition, though.

bjdwsm

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Since they officially announced that the Things We Did Last Summer short films special from 10/28/78 will be included as a bonus feature on the set, I'm wondering if they will include the Jane Curtin segment (which was cut from the Pacific Arts video release in the early 80s).

I guess the logical choice for the season 4 bonus is Bob and Ray and Jane and Laraine and Gilda. I don't recall there being a special in season 5 but perhaps they could use Steve Martin's Best Show Ever from November 1981 which is kind of a mini-reunion for the original cast and crew of the show. There's also a third "First Love" short that made it to a repeat of an earlier season show in summer/fall '80. It wasn't until about 1985-86 that the show used unaired sketches or films in rerun versions of episodes but any of that material should go on along with the live broadcast version.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Still looking for help. I just swapped mine out for another limited edition set (cigar box packaging, limited edition sticker, etc.) and it again did not have a scrapbook. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Also, can anyone tell me where the booklet would be found in a new set -- i.e., on top of the digipak or under it? Am wondering if it's possible to spy the booklet through the thumbhole in the cigar box if I am able to find another copy.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads-up! I don't know how that announcement flew under my radar, but I was not aware of that! Kind of odd, though, since "Things We Did Last Summer" actually aired after Season 4 got underway. (But makes sense if there are plans to include the Bob & Ray special in the Season 4 set -- which is just speculation right now, assuming that there will be a Season 4 set.)

I wasn't aware of a previously unaired "First Love" skit appearing in a rerun. I do remember seeing some "Mr. Bill" segments during the ill-regarded 1980-1981 season, however.

Okay, great...so, "Things We Did Last Summer" is coming out...the Bob & Ray and (especially) "Steve Martin's Best Show Ever" seem like appropriate bonus material -- especially the latter since, as you mentioned, it pretty much is a reunion show, done live from 8H with the bulk of the original cast. (They'll probably need to add some enticements to a Season 5 set, since Aykroyd is absent and Belushi only appears in one show.) And Broadway Video owns all these, correct? I'd like to add "Mr. Mike's Mondo Video" to the list too.

Bring it on!

(PS -- I've been working my way through the shows sequentially, and I've just gotten into the first disc of Season 2. I don't mean to whine about the "bumper controversy" again, but I just wanna say that the overdubbed "smattering of applause" they've added to cover the breaks gets more and more irritating to me every time -- this is a completely separate issue from the bumpers themselves. But it also was weird hearing Richard Pryor making reference to them, saying that the people in the bumpers we've been seeing throughout the show -- which of course, we're NOT seeing -- were members of his family.)

bjdwsm

Agent
Real Name
Ben
I assume all the episodes with Anyone Can Host contest material will be the uncut live shows because the reruns are edited to remove any mention of the contest. There were a few non-contest episodes that have some noticeable edits:

-The rerun of Robert Klein (1/28/78) Weekend Update has a noticeable edit after one of the jokes (the applause falls off funny). They also replay the Schiller's Reel Acid Generation film in this version (complete with the same audience shot from Kahn- it's obviously edited in because Kahn used the all caps font for the audience shots)
-In reruns, Art Garfunkel (3/11/78), they mute the audio briefly when they mention Todd's last name (it sounds like Todd -Bounta) in the Looks At Books sketch because the real Todd LaBounta sued after Franken & Davis used his name without permission (the regular Nerds writers changed it to DiLaBounta and DiLaMuca later).

I also hope they leave all the Weekend Update teasers.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yes, MR MIKE would be a great addition. Broadway owns it, and released it to VHS via Pacific Arts like THINGS WE DID.

There was another spin off of sorts in the 70's. There was an original movie that aired in the SNL time slot in the late 70's. I forgot the title, but during one of the NBC late night reairings of a 70's SNL episode in the mid 90's, they even replayed the promo for it as playing the next week. I think NBC must have thought it was a joke, but soon after that, I saw the VHS of that film (also released by Broadway and Pacific Arts) in the used section of one of my video stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks