What's new

SNES 10th anniversary (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I got the latest issue of EGM a few weeks ago (I got the one with the limited edition cover) and it had a nice feature on the SNES 10th anniversary. Well, it took a while for it to sink in that it has been 10 years already.
To me, SNES is the near pinnacle of gaming. From the controller design, to the state of the art (for its time) mode 7 graphics, I still have yet to own a system that I've enjoyed so much (the Dreamcast comes close.)
The EGM article prompted me to hook the SNES up to my theater, alongside the DC and PS2, and all the other HT gear. Now all I've been doing is playing the old games, ignoring GT3, NBA Street, and even avoiding Madden 2002 (I'm waiting on NFL 2K2.) These games were FUN.
The top 10 SNES games, according to EGM:
10. Contra 3
9. Chrono Trigger
8. Tetris Attack
7. Super Castlevania 4
6. Super Mario World 2
5. Steet Fighter 2 Turbo
4. Super Mario World
3. Final Fantasy 3
2. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
1. Super Metroid
Those are ten bona-fide classics, and it hasn't even scratched the surface. Let's not forget Final Fantasy 2, Mortal Kombat 2, Super Punch Out, NBA Jam, and The Secret of Mana, for starters. Will the top ten PSX, DC, and PS2, games be as great as that list? I sure hope so, because that will mean we are all in for some great games.
I'd rank FF3 number one on my own list, because it was the only game I faked being sick to get out of going to school to play it.
That's it for my SNES tribute of sorts. But now that my interest in the system has been rekindled, does anyone know of some good sites to buy games? I try to avoid ebay and gamestop, but are they it for used games?
Oh, and I suppose it has to be mentioned that although the SNES was an outstanding system, the Genesis KICKED IT'S ASS when it came to sports games. And the violent ones, too, until Nintendo realized they couldn't sell as many Mortal Kombat's if the characters "sweated." Man, that was a long time ago.
Jason

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
10 years? Good grief....
And yay, Mario spoke and he did tell Dan to un-box his SNES, where he feast upon Super Star Wars for 10 days before going on to defeat the evil Bowser, and distributing carts of Zelda, Bomberman, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart and F-Zero to the masses... :)
To me, SNES is the near pinnacle of gaming. From the controller design, to the state of the art (for its time) mode 7 graphics, I still have yet to own a system that I've enjoyed so much (the Dreamcast comes close.)
Yikes, I've said the EXACT same thing before a few times on this very forum. SNES was true genius to me, and yup, not until the Dreamcast game along had I had such enthusiasm for good games. The Gamecube looks set to resurrect such feelings.
Dan (UK)

Andre F

Screenwriter
Super Metroid is probably my favorite games of all time. I was glued to the game until I finished it. The graphics were mind blowing. I hope to someday to find a game that draws me in like that again.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I love my SNES. I have so many great memories of this system. The only disappointing thing with it was that it took EA forever to get their act together on the sports games (Madden 93 and NHLPA 93 where just terrible).
It's a tragedy that F-Zero is not on that list though. #1 or #2 in my books.
------------------

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
F-Zero and Super Mario Kart are two of the best and deserve to be on that list.
I've been looking high and low for mario kart and can't find it anywhere...

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Mark,
I was doing a search for used games myself, and I don't remember the exact address, if you type buy rite videogames into a search engine, you should get their homepage. They had just about all the games I wanted, but without prices listed. (You have to email them for certain games about pricing and availablity.) Might be worth checking out. I almost imported some games for my GBA, but then quickly remembered my funds are tied up in school expenses.
Jason

Gary King

Second Unit
I would strongly recommend avoiding Buy-Rite. They have a huge selection and (typically) decent prices; however, if you have a problem (and they make far more mistakes than most retailers), it will take you several months to sort it out.
The last time I dealt with them, they would only handle customer service issues over e-mail, and they would take well over a week to respond.
And I know my case isn't unique -- I've heard dozens of Buy-Rite horror stories from other video game importers.
I've had pretty good luck with BRE Software, although I've only ordered from them twice (once was for a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga). I'd recommend them far above Buy-Rite. They typically list their used SNES games on Amazon auctions (BRE is a zShop), rather than on the main site.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the heads up Gary. I'm glad I didn't order anything from them. Mark, sorry about steering you in the wrong direction. My bad. I'll check out that BRE joint.
Jason

Steven K

Supporting Actor
The SNES, when you consider the system for the time it was released, is in my opinion, the greatest game system of all time followed by the NES.
I remember paying $600 for a Super Famicom a year before it was released in the US. Only had 3 games... Super Mario World, F-Zero, and Bamboozle. I still bought the SNES the day it was released in the US.
This system was amazing. Despite the fact that the system ran at half the speed of the Genesis (3.58 MHz as opposed to 7.5 MHz), the programmers were able to alleviate this problem in their code. I remember there being a huge different between earlier shooters (like Super R-Type) and later shooters.
To me, electronic gaming kind of died after the 16-bit revolution. During the late 80searly 90s, I had every system and tons of games (NES, SMS, Genesis, Sega CD, SNES, PC Engine (TG-16), Turbo CD, TurboDuo, Gameboy, Game Gear, Turbo Express, and Lynx... whew!).
I bought a Sega Saturn the day it was released for $400 plus $60 for Panzer Dragoon. I also got a Playstation that Christmas. But, I just couldn't get into the games like I could with the 16-bitters (although I did like the Saturn much more than the Playstation, and still play it). I bought about 25 Saturn games and 25 Playstation games, nothing compared to the number of 16 bit games I had (I had 175 PC Engine games at one time).
I got a Dreamcast for Christmas from my ex girlfriend a few years back. Even though I really enjoy it, I still only have one game for it (NFL 2K). I mainly use it for emulation at this point (NesterDC, amazing!) and I've been messing around with programming for it a little.
I'm going back home this week, so I think I'm going to bring my SNES back with me to Boston (I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now).

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Steven, I agree that the 32-bit generation didn't *wow* me as much as the 16-bit. I own a PSX (had it since day one) and an N64 (had it since year one.) They both had their share of GREAT games, like Metal Gear Solid, the Final Fantasy Series, the Tekken series, etc. on the PSX, the N64 had Goldeneye, Mario, Conker, etc. But I think the 16-bit era trumps the 32 bit era in terms of gaming greatness. You have to give credit to the game developers of the 16-bit years, as they have really created a lot of games that will stand the test of time.
I'm also with you that the NES was a great system. Hell, it was the first one I owned. (Xmas in 4th grade.) I grew up playing Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dribble, Dragon Warrior, and more. I joke around with my friends that even though the DC is a dead system this time next year, it will live on as a NES. (Thank you NesterDC.)
I do have VERY high hopes for the latest generation of games. We are just now starting to see the building blocks on an "internet revolution" for consoles. It started with the DC (PSO is a blast) and hopefully the PS2 et al. will carry the torch. And games like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X are really trying to make games interactive movies. This is a lot different that the interactive movies of yesteryear, like Sewer Shark or Night Trap on the Sega CD. There are some great games ahead, now if only people would stop bitching about system specs and just be happy that some great games are on the way...
Jason

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Man, so it's now been 10 years I've been putting off getting one of these? I got the first NES in 1986 before any of my friends had one, but just never got around to getting a SNES. I bought a Genesis in 1990, I remember the SNES was already on its way to Japan but read something about Nintendo feeling the American market wasn't "ready" for a 16-bit system yet so they were going to wait bringing it out here. It does seem the fun-factor's been decreasing with every new system, but maybe that's just because I'm getting old :) Heck, the game I play most often on PS2 is Pac-Man!
I haven't seen SNES's showing up in thrift stores yet; if I can find one at a place like that for $10 or so I'll definitely pick it up- I've seen Genesis systems a few times in thrift stores, and a lot of NES's- they're getting to be the Atari 2600 of the later 1980's!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks