Sneak Peak: Chicago on Blu-ray, PHENOMENAL... the reference disc of the year

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by DaViD Boulet, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It is not hyperbole, as this is probably the best sounding disc I'd ever heard including Superman Returns on HD DVD. Also, as stated by Steve, this forum should be able to have discussions about films/discs in which unnecessary bickering can be avoided.

Crawdaddy

2. MarekM

MarekM Supporting Actor

there are several 24bit LPCM titles out...

Pearl Harbor English PCM 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-Bit)
    Enemy of the State PCM 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-Bit)
    The Wild PCM 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-Bit)
    Glory Road PCM 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-Bit)
    Gone in 60 Seconds PCM 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-Bit)
    The Haunted Mansion PCM 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-Bit)
    Dinosaur PCM 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-Bit)

I am not sure about Black Hawk Down if it's 16 or 24 ?? anybody can confirm ?
    There many other PCM titles where I can't find it there are 16 or 24bit..

Marek

3. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Thanks Marek.

Didn't realize there were so many out.[​IMG]

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Let's just hope the treatment of the Chicago BD is indicative of what we can expect in the future, as far as A/V quality!

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Some great discussion.

I love it when we agree... [​IMG]

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Ordered!

Thanks, David and Robert.

Cees

7. MarekM

MarekM Supporting Actor

Cees, seems that CHICAGO is region free [​IMG] (with A B C marks on back cover [​IMG]

Marek

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Marek,

Currently, I don't buy BD in Europe (only HD DVDs that are BD-eclusives, or not available at all, in the US [​IMG] ), so my region B collection is zero.

When I have built a slightly bigger BD library (and when we know enough about the March launch of the PS3 in Europe), I will decide, also based on my collection, what to purchase for a BD player. Candidates are the PS3 (for a prolonged initial period), the Panny and a possible combo-player (currently unlikely).

It's indeed a shame that many BD releases are not region free!
    Good to hear this one is!

Cees

9. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

My wife and I enjoyed Chicago quite a bit so this was a no brainer purchase for me. I ordered it at Amazon.com and can't wait for it to arrive!

10. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

Isn't that rather the norm than the exception?

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Good question.

*good* 35mm duplication can still look better than 1080pHD. However, when mass-dupes are run without much care about print quality, yeah, the results can shift in 1080p's favor. Certainly is the case here and probably true more often than not with typical hollywood films produced from digital IP printed to film by facilities that aren't really concerned with image quality. My impression at the theater is that often independent "art" films have exquisite film prints but many big-budget hollywood films (even the LOTR films and Narnia) look pretty "average" in terms of print quality.

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Very interesting, concerning that 2.0/lossless. Gotta give it a try, as I'm running Vienna Beethovens as my mains and should sound dang nice if I can get this to work.

13. I have to agree on the uncompressed PCM, although I don't own this disk it sounds darn good. I have 2 discs so far that have LPCM tracks and when I play them like this the sound is simply breathtaking. I just can't wait until I have 5.1/7.1 LPCM available to listen to.

14. MarekM

MarekM Supporting Actor

here is TRUE 7.1 LPCM [​IMG] (maybe the first one out, I am not aware about any other 7.1 at this moment)

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
    http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/d...views/5787.php

Japanese LPCM 7.1
    Japanese DD 6.1EX
    Japanese DTS-ES 6.1
    Audio: A+
    Video: A+

Marek

15. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

Yes, the best prints I see are prints of 'minor' films at festivals made from the camera negative for the festival. Sometimes such prints also get into regular distribution. Even prints from duplicate negative can look great if they are high quality (Batman Begins, The Wind That Shakes the Barley).

16. ppltd

ppltd Producer

After viewing this film over the weekend, I have a few comments. I absolutely agree with many posters on this thread with regards the the audio track. It was dynamic and encompassing. Truly a marvel, which musicals should be. I hope this translates into future releases as they come out. As far as the video, here I will disagree. While many scenes popped from the screen, too many scenes had video noise and much more grain then I recall when viewing in the theater. I found the Picture could be stunning at times, and very lacking at others.

This would certainly be a disk I would use to show off the power and presence of Lossless sound, but would not be disk I would use to show off PQ od HD presentations.

17. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Well, after trying the PS3/2.0/uncompressed trick I'm going to have to go out and find Chicago this week.

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

[​IMG]

BTW, yes, there are some grainy scenes in this transfer... the same scenes that were grainy on DVD and in the theater as well. The digital IP was used for this HD transfer and what you're seeing is faithful to the film source. Most of the grainy scenes are long-shots and involve Roxy's fantasy about being a performer. I think that the grain is there by intent on the part of the director.

19. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I am still using a Samsung. While it has been updated with all current flashes, my player might be part of my problem. I am really looking forward to the release of the second generation Samsung.

20. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    My copy of CHICAGO came today, and I am SO looking forward to watching it this evening. And thanks to David Boulet's suggestion about getting lossless sound (which I auditioned on FLIGHTPLAN last night to stunning effect), I will have both the video and audio experience to anticipate. I'll come back later this evening with my reactions.