What's new

Smileboxed THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM -- Will it ever make it to Bluray? (1 Viewer)

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Loved reading that, Carter. When does the music start and we can all go back in for Part Two?
(Russ, George and Rita huh? You don't get that in Bradford.)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Moe Dickstein said:
I've worked in several different theaters for different chains across the midwest before moving to LA. Some theaters are like you describe, a little taller for flat and a little wider for scope.
Others have a constant height, so the flat and scope are the same height, but the scope image is far wider.
Many newer screens are designed for constant width, so that flat is the same width as scope, just much taller. These are the screens that Carter takes issue with, because they are like mattes moving down to cut the picture from the top and bottom like letterbox bars at home.
Yes, I hate those kinds of theaters and don't frequent them - EVER.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Moe Dickstein said:
Carter, could you tell us a little bit about how you feel about the management of the Pacific Theater company and Arclight? I'm not sure I can tell from your posts...
There is a great deal of history involved. I've only scratched the surface.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
AdrianTurner said:
Loved reading that, Carter. When does the music start and we can all go back in for Part Two?
(Russ, George and Rita huh? You don't get that in Bradford.)
Hi Adrian! I've been writing and updating that thing for hours, refresh the page and go back for the rest of it. I don't know how to mask spoilers here, so I hope I haven't given away anything crucial.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Moe Dickstein said:
I've worked in several different theaters for different chains across the midwest before moving to LA. Some theaters are like you describe, a little taller for flat and a little wider for scope.
Only one I know like that is the big one on the Paramount lot. Spent a lot of time there.
Moe Dickstein said:
Others have a constant height, so the flat and scope are the same height, but the scope image is far wider.
Hopefully you get that this is by far my preference.
Moe Dickstein said:
Many newer screens are designed for constant width, so that flat is the same width as scope, just much taller.
MOST of the ones I've seen are this way, this is definitely the current trend, which I think you know I hate.
Moe Dickstein said:
These are the screens that Carter takes issue with, because they are like mattes moving down to cut the picture from the top and bottom like letterbox bars at home.
Exactly.
Preceded by commercials even, often dim and fuzzy, why pay for that? I have better at home.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Really enjoyed your play-by-play for the screening, Carter, and thank you so much for sharing it with us. Felt like I was there watching it with all you guys.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I've made some updates and corrections to the screening story (#517). It was posted in stages while I was still writing it in case some folks were waiting to read it, so if you haven't read it lately, you haven't read it all.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Quote:

Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/290862/smileboxed-the-wonderful-world-of-the-brothers-grimm-will-it-ever-make-it-to-bluray/510#post_3981971
I've made some updates and corrections to the screening story (#517). It was posted in stages while I was still writing it in case some folks were waiting to read it, so if you haven't read it lately, you haven't read it all.
You did a great job recapping the highlights of the show yesterday. I purchased my ticket back in July and sat in seat GG20, which is in the center of the row in the 7th row from the front. I considered this possibly the best seat in the house, being in the center and being neither too close nor too far back, but there really may not have been any bad seats, given the size and quality of the presentation. Seeing a genuine Cinerama presentation for the first time, I was struck by how well the panels blended, since the blend lines were much less pronounced than what we might expect from telecine versions of these films. In spite of a few short moments when panels were temporarily out of synch, the presentation was such that the blend lines seemed imperceptible through most of the film.

The occasional technical difficulties seemed shorter than they were, perhaps because the audience members were so well informed that interesting discussions sprang up among us during those lulls. I sat next to two gentlemen named Mike and Tony, who asked me why someone of my age was interested in such an old film. It turns out that Tony is a member of our forum as Indy Guy and has contributed to discussions about the audio cuts on the Camelot Blu-ray. He reminisced with us about his experiences watching Camelot in the Cinerama Dome during its original release in 1967 and 1968, and we discussed the recent Blu-ray releases of Windjammer and This Is Cinerama. Mike and Tony were part of a larger group of film buffs in attendance at the festival, most of whom had traveled longer distances than I had to attend the screening.

A piece of trivia: Russ Tamblyn told the assembled audience that he is the only actor to appear in 2 different Cinerama films. Mike and Tony informed me that this is not strictly accurate, since Bryan Russell, who played Wilhelm Grimm's son in this film, also appeared in an uncredited role as Zeke Prescott in How The West Was Won.

I did not take Mr. Tamblyn's comments about the difficulties in filming a Cinerama film to be intended as negative. He did come to see the film with his friends Rita Moreno and George Chakiris, so he must have some definite pride in his involvement in this film. His character the Woodsman had to kiss the Dancing Princess, played by Yvette Mimieux in the film, so perhaps the experience was not entirely unpleasant for him.

We also discussed the fact that a proper Cinerama screen should be louvered, which it is not in the Cinerama Dome, although I found the presentation to be excellent, with the print being of much better quality than what I hoped. I found it interesting that the "B" panel print carried German subtitles during the "Singing Bone" sequence for the song "Dee-Are-A-Gee-O-Enn(Dragon)" by Terry-Thomas and Buddy Hackett.

My "exit through the gift shop" was a similar experience to yours, although I really do not have any opinion one way or the other regarding the management of the theatre, which strikes me as a very nice facility.

I share the hope that this film gets transferred into high definition while the elements are still in existence. This was my first time seeing The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. I had recorded it on my DVR when it played on Turner Classic Movies but I made a point to delay watching the broadcast because I wanted to see it for the first time as it was intended to be seen. I had suspected the possibility that this film has never been represented properly on home video due to a lack of merit and quality, but such is not the case, in my opinion. I enjoyed it very much and I think it would sell very well if released in HD in a Smilebox presentation.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Carter, I loved reading your detailed overview and review. The previous night I had exchanged my tickets for the Monday screenings of GRIMM and PARADISE since the seating options were better. (I did the same for THIS IS CINERAMA on Thursday rather than tonight where my seat was way off to the side). I don't really care about seeing celebs or the pre-show pomp, so the less heralded screenings are fine by me if it means more advantageous seating. So glad you had a good time!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Toward the end of the film I found myself wondering if anyone in the audience was aware that Mr. Tamblyn played more than one role in the film. Maybe that swings the record back in his direction, having done three roles in two C3 movies. I didn't think he was really being negative, he's clearly a performer getting a kick out of the attention, and was going for a laugh, I just figured at some point he'd say something about how well it turned out. In the group with Mike and Tony were people who went to Dayton and Seattle to see Cinerama, and people associated with Disney, who remember Bryan Russell for his roles in Disney films. The Mike and Tony group chose what Cinerama buffs cell "the Sweet Spot" roughly under the point where the three projector beams cross, thought to be the most ideally enveloping spot. These C buffs would have picked dead center of the row. I wonder how many of the folks in the theatre knew or talked about the petition. I was near younger people who didn't know of it. As for celebrities and "pre-show pomp" none were announced for this and they could turn up at any screening. I was told Yvette Mimieux still lives in the area, we know Barbara Eden does, and it was reported Claire Bloom would be in town for another movie event. Speaking of Bryan Russell, I wonder if anyone invited him. Did anyone recognize Billy Barty in the movie?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I am glad to know that I picked the "sweet spot" for viewing the projected image, even though I had never before seen a genuine Cinerama film projected on a curved screen. I selected the seat assignment over 3 months ago when I purchased my ticket, and selected it based upon preference for viewing other films. Normally I prefer a seat towards the back of the house for a flat projected image but I calculated that closer to the front might be ideal for a curved screen.

Why did I not desire a seat in the front row? I remember seeing Spaceballs years ago on a sold out opening night and the only seats remaining were in the front row. I felt bug-eyed watching the film and felt as though, had I been any closer, I would have actually been in the film. Front row might be alright for a concert, but for a film, never again.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
A great read Carter. I have read it about four times and enjoyed it each time. Mr. Tamblyn can talk though and loves to talk about his history in the business. I worked on a play with him many years ago and all you had to do was ask an MGM question and you could get a history lesson for a couple of hours. But boy is he a talented dancer and actor along with giving us a wonderful actress. Glad so many people enjoyed it. Hopefully this will open the eyes of Warner a little bit and something will come of this.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy E said:
I am glad to know that I picked the "sweet spot" for viewing the projected image, even though I had never before seen a genuine Cinerama film projected on a curved screen.  I selected the seat assignment over 3 months ago when I purchased my ticket, and selected it based upon preference for viewing other films.  Normally I prefer a seat towards the back of the house for a flat projected image but I calculated that closer to the front might be ideal for a curved screen. 
Why did I not desire a seat in the front row?  I remember seeing Spaceballs years ago on a sold out opening night and the only seats remaining were in the front row.  I felt bug-eyed watching the film and felt as though, had I been any closer, I would have actually been in the film.  Front row might be alright for a concert, but for a film, never again.
I haven't wanted to sit in the front of a movie theatre since I was a kid. I changed my preference to the last row to get unobstructed view and eliminate kicking the back of my seat. I am not a fan of a movie being "up in my face" so we agree there. I agree for a live show that's much different.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ahollis said:
A great read Carter.  I have read it about four times and enjoyed it each time.  Mr. Tamblyn can talk though and loves to talk about his history in the business.  I worked on a play with him many years ago and all you had to do was ask an MGM question and you could get a history lesson for a couple of hours.  But boy is he a talented dancer and actor along with giving us a wonderful actress.  Glad so many people enjoyed it.  Hopefully this will open the eyes of Warner a little bit and something will come of this. 
I have edited it about a dozen times so there was probably something new or different every time you read it. My latest addition there is wondering what would have caused the burn. I like Russ Tamblyn. I've had contact with performers in every degree of fame, and I think it's the most fun to meet someone in his position who has done some amazing stuff but is not so famous that they're tired of the attention. As for Warner, welll... I still think the best hope right now is TCM.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
A Blu- ray release of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm may have more commercial potential right now than the past release of How The West Was Won.

Consider what is more popular now, Westerns or fairy tales? I love my Westerns but fairy tales are always in fashion whereas Westerns fluctuate in popularity.
There are 2 fairly successful network TV series running at the same time, both beginning their second seasons right now, and both based on fairy tales (Grimm on NBC and Once Upon A Time on ABC).

On top of that, when you consider the Cinerama festivals and the recent releases of Windjammer and This Is Cinerama in Smilebox format on Blu-ray, there may never be a better time than now for the studio to restore its elements and release this title. The forthcoming Cinerama releases on Blu-ray from Flicker Alley, scanned from original negatives, will only whet appetites further for this type of film.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy E said:
A Blu- ray release of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm may have more commercial potential right now than the past release of How The West Was Won.
Consider what is more popular now, Westerns or fairy tales?  I love my Westerns but fairy tales are always in fashion whereas Westerns fluctuate in popularity.
There are 2 fairly successful network TV series running at the same time, both beginning their second seasons right now, and both based on fairy tales (Grimm on NBC and Once Upon A Time on ABC). 
On top of that, when you consider the Cinerama festivals and the recent releases of Windjammer and This Is Cinerama in Smilebox format on Blu-ray, there may never be a better time than now for the studio to restore its elements and release this title.  The forthcoming Cinerama releases on Blu-ray from Flicker Alley, scanned from original negatives, will only whet appetites further for this type of film.
Boy, sure I wish/hope you were/are right. I've considered the appeal of those TV shows, yet seen Cinerama fans and insiders scoff and shoot that idea down again and again. I wasn't kidding when I said they treat this film like the bastard blacksheep of Cinerama. Even the venerable Marty Hart who made that fantastic one-sheet for Grimm that they had at the door has openly disparaged this movie and its chances for release. The excuse for so long was water damage to the negs. I've always thought it was just that - an excuse. Then it was said that the damage was only the very edge of one of the panels. Since the inside panels overlap a bit and the outside edges would get masked out, I really wonder just how much of a factor that would be. Also it's been said how bad the travelogue elements were, yet they've been run through that Digital ICE process or whatever they did. And then there is that 65mm neg that has been said to be viable by an insider but Warners reportedly failed to take any action or even confirm or deny. Frankly I can't help but think that if someone really wanted it, somehow, one way or another it would get done. By the way, has everyone here who wants the movie on video signed the petition? Couldn't hurt.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I hate westerns and Bros grimm was my favourite cinerama film seen-saw them all when first originally released.Have a dvd of the film made from a laser disc many years ago by someone

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks