What's new

SMiLE 5.1 and Vinyl (1 Viewer)

George See

Second Unit
Don't know why SMiLE doesn't seem to be getting mentioned around here at all (i've heard it and it's amazing!!!) but I dug up some info on a possible 5.1 and I assume hi-rez release for next year.

"As my final interview with Mark Linett wraps up, he is pouring over a test acetate of the fourth side of the double vinyl gatefold album. With three sides taken up by SMiLE, the fourth will include instrumental-only mixes of four songs which allow the complexity of the backing tracks to shine through. And there is talk of a 5.1 version for next year. Funding has yet to be confirmed, but Mark, in his enthusiasm, has already begun to create rough surround mixes of 'Surf's Up' and 'Wind Chimes'. "

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Well, for those interested here's a press release. I just hope that there's a DVD-A version of the studio release to follow!

By the way, the website also has tour dates for Brian Wilson's SMiLE tour this summer!

From www.brianwilson.com :

The Ultimate DVD Collection of Brian Wilson's Critically-Acclaimed SMiLE Arrives on May 24
2-Disc Set Features Documentary, Exclusive Live Performance And Behind-The-Scenes Footage

LOS ANGELES — On May 24 Rhino Home Video delivers BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS SMiLE: THE DVD. The two-disc package features nearly four hours of material, including the documentary Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson And The Story of SMiLE (from LSL Productions, in association with Chautauqua Entertainment), as well as an exclusive performance of SMiLE shot in its entirety in Los Angeles, and nearly two hours of never-before-seen bonus footage. The set will be available at all retail outlets and at www.rhino.com for a suggested retail price of $29.99.

Directed by award-winning writer/producer David Leaf (who also wrote the Brian Wilson biography The Beach Boys & The California Myth), Beautiful Dreamer traces the 37-year saga of Wilson’s most fabled work. Through interviews with celebrated friends, musicians, producers and peers (Sir George Martin, Elvis Costello, Roger Daltrey and film stars Rob Reiner and Jeff Bridges), the documentary explains the ambition and inspiration behind SMiLE’s acclaimed songs, the obstacles that prevented their release and the joyous conclusion at the 2004 Royal Festival Hall debut performance of SMiLE.

BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS SMiLE: THE DVD also includes a 5.1 Surround Sound live performance of SMiLE, as well as never-before-seen interviews with its star, bonus live footage featuring the 2004 Royal Festival Hall performance of “Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow” (a recent Grammy&Mac226; winner for Best Rock Instrumental), plus priceless intimate footage of Wilson at the piano, playing “Rhapsody In Blue,” “Good Vibrations,” “Heroes And Villains,” “Wonderful,” and singing “Cabin Essence.”

In addition, fans are treated to recording session footage, a photo gallery, the theatrical trailer for Beautiful Dreamer, fan and celebrity reaction filmed after the Royal Festival Hall performance, as well as a contest-winning video for “Heroes And Villains.”

Thirty-seven years after he and lyricist Van Dyke Parks began creating SMiLE (Nonesuch Records), the album was released in 2004, giving Brian Wilson his biggest hit in nearly three decades and garnering the pop icon widespread critical acclaim and three Grammy nominations. Featuring Wilson’s touring band of five years augmented by The Stockholm Strings and Horns, SMiLE was dubbed a “masterpiece” by Newsweek and was saluted with the rare and coveted five-star review in Rolling Stone.

Filled with compositions that are complex and sophisticated while glorious and beautiful, SMiLE was originally intended to be the follow-up to The Beach Boys’ iconic breakthrough Pet Sounds. It was to appear in stores in January 1976. In fact, more than 400,000 SMiLE record jackets were printed and ads were taken out in various magazines to prepare for the concept album. After Wilson began performing Pet Sounds live in recent years, he decided to revisit SMiLE in concert at a universally hailed week of performances at the Royal Festival Hall in London in February 2004. Soon after, Wilson returned to Sunset Sound in Hollywood, where he’d originally cut portions of SMiLE, to create the definitive studio recording.

The DVD set documents Wilson’s reunion with Van Dyke Parks, and even finds the lyricist interviewing the musical legend. The DVD’s documentary component was immediately lauded after it debuted on Showtime last year as Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson And The Story of SMiLE. It tells the story of how a boy from Southern California who dreamed of becoming a major league baseball player instead became one of rock music’s greatest visionaries.

BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS SMiLE: THE DVD track listing:

DISC ONE
Documentary: Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson And The Story Of SMiLE

Bonus Material

Theatrical trailer
“Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow,” from the world premiere of SMiLE, Royal Festival Hall, London, February 2004.
After The Show featurette (postconcert reactions)
Interview Highlights
Van Dyke Parks interviews Brian Wilson 2/22/04
Interview with Brian Wilson 3/16/04
Interview with Brian Wilson 5/01/04
Interview with Brian Wilson 8/16/04

DISC TWO
SMiLE Live Concert
01. Our Prayer/Gee
02. Heroes And Villains
03. Roll Plymouth Rock
04. Barnyard
05. Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine
06. Cabin Essence
07. Wonderful
08. Song For Children
09. Child Is The Father Of Man
10. Surf’s Up
11. I’m In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop
12. Vega-Tables
13. On A Holiday
14. Wind Chimes
15. Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow
16. In Blue Hawaii
17. Good Vibrations

Bonus Material

Outtakes from the making of Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson And The Story Of SMiLE
Brian Wilson photo gallery
Brian Wilson at the piano:
“Rhapsody In Blue” (solo)
“Good Vibrations” (solo instrumental)
“Good Vibrations” with Carol Kaye (instrumental)
“Heroes And Villains” (solo instrumental)
“Heroes And Villains” (instrumental with Carol Kaye)
“Heroes And Villains” (vocal version with Carol Kaye)
“Wonderful” (solo instrumental)
“Cabin Essence” (vocal version with Darian Sahanaja on piano)
The recording of Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE featurette
“Heroes And Villains” contest-winning video

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
hmmm, live Smile is not the same as the studio Smile. Brian Wilson's voice can't handle the performing.

I'd love a 5.1 remix of the studio album, with the demos from the Beach Boys in the 60's as a bonus. That would be the Ultimate Smile collection for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks