What's new

Smile (1975) needs a Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just got back from a 35mm screening of Michael Ritchie's 1975 film Smile, and not only does it hold up extremely well as a film, as a satire of beauty pageants and the whole idea of trying to put on a pleasant façade when your life is going to #2, but the quality of the print (yes, it had the Transamerica "T" logo) takes away any excuse MGM had for dumping out the old laserdisc transfer onto a non-anamorphic DVD.

Maybe Twilight Time wants it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Buy it in a second. Enjoyed the picture and it's satire. Not sure why it failed so miserably.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Guacamole deeeeeep?
My wife and I saw this in '75 and loved it. But then again, we love satire. We saw the original B'way production of Chicago and were practically the only people laughing and enjoying the show.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This, BAD NEWS BEARS, DOWNHILL RACER and THE CANDIDATE would make welcome Blu-rays as well.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
MatthewA said:
I just got back from a 35mm screening of Michael Ritchie's 1975 film Smile, and not only does it hold up extremely well as a film, as a satire of beauty pageants and the whole idea of trying to put on a pleasant façade when your life is going to #2, but the quality of the print (yes, it had the Transamerica "T" logo) takes away any excuse MGM had for dumping out the old laserdisc transfer onto a non-anamorphic DVD.

Maybe Twilight Time wants it.
ROclockCK said:
Touché. :P

...although the former was more satirical, the latter was more of a hit.
Brad here. I think I caught this on TV somewhere in 1977 or so, probably edited of course for television. Of course with all the pretty girls, they had to include a gaggle of horn-dog teen boys trying to take nasty pics of the girls (using a now-primitive Polaroid SX-70 camera). Might make a interesting "time capsule" on blu. Being only 16 myself at the time, I kinda got a laugh. Today if I had daughters that age, I'd be in full combat hunter-killer mode for those boys.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Hospital is another UA 1970s satire that could use a Blu-ray, as well as Norman Lear's Cold Turkey, which, like Smile, featured Paul Benedict in a small role and only has a non-anamorphic DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks