What's new

Smashing Pumpkins "Zeitgeist" 7/10 (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

It's really not as bad as some reviewers made it out to be. I think the Allmusic Guide review was WAY over the top in it's hatred of Billy.

A buddy of mine has never seen them live and they're his favorite band, so we got tickets to the Fox Theatre show in the ATL yesterday. I just hope they sound better live than the last two times I saw them (once around the time of SD and then when they were headlining Lollapalooza after Cobain passed). From what I saw on Letterman Friday night, they were pretty good, aside from Billy's vocals.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

the name "Smashing Pumpkins" guarentees higher sales than "Zwan" or "Billy Corgan" do. All we have to look at is how Billy's solo album struggled to break the top 50 but yet Zeitgeist is looking at possibly debuting at #1 next week, and a surefire top 2 regardless. Corgan wants to sell albums, Smashing Pumpkins sells albums moreso than Zwan or by his solo namesake.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There was a likewise not very good in the SJ Mercury about that same show.

I learned an important concept in Econ 101. Utility. If someone gives me a cookie, I'm a happy camper. Someone gives me 2 cookies, I'm excited. Someone gives me 3 cookies, that just about perfect. But someone gives me 10 cookies, I'm just not as happy anymore.

I love the Pumpkins, but they should remember that old saying: always leave them wanting more. 3 hrs, I think, is about 1 hr past that point, no matter how strong the back catalog is.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But SP ALWAYS played really long shows - this isn't a new phenomenon. I remember equally lengthy shows back in 1996. The difference is that the current shows include lots of new material, not just well-known stuff - and this is a band just getting its feet wet, not one that'd been together for years. I don't recall gripes about SP playing too long 10 years ago...

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Ive been listening to the album more and more. Its growing on me, but it still will not be in my top SP albums. I wish Billy would go back and master some old demo's from pre Siamese Dream era. One of my favorite Pumpkins songs is an unreleased demo called "Nothing and Everything".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks