What's new

Smallville season 8 thread (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I think Smallville is targeted at a different demographic. There's overlap, but the shows have very different goals. The CW is perpetually targeted at a very youthful demographic. Smallville's sweet spot is tweens, teens and early adults. I'm not sure I've ever even seen the show use profanity. I know many parents who sit down and watch Smallville with their young children. The sweet spot demos for "24" and "Battlestar Galactica" are not in that same area.

Honestly, I don't get the criticism. If the show is falling short, that's fine, but I don't think it has anything to do with not being dark enough. I haven't read comics in over 30 years, but what I remember about Superman from the comics wasn't dark. We're not talking The Dark Knight here. This is Superman. Truth, Justice, American Way. I've never gone into any incarnation of Superman expecting dark. I know the comics have changed a lot since the golden age, but has it really changed to the point that Superman is now a "dark" superhero?

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
Wow. That was a whole lot of nothing good. I just kept shaking my head the whole time I was watching this ep. and when the end started to roll around I thought "Did I miss like 15 minutes of show somewhere?". It was all over the place for me. The Doomsday arc was a total waste of time. Has the Clark character advanced at all in the past few seasons?

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Another question:

Why, after the black Kryptonite split the monster from the human (huh? Kryptonians and their creations have a human side to split off?) was Doomsday-human (name forgotten already!) still evil and murderous? Shouldn't he have been goody-two-shoes, ambulance driving, good guy again?

This episode just made no sense.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
That was my initial thought as well, but it appears they're taking the stance that hearing Chloe talk about how she never wanted to be with him pushed him over the edge. I decided it's best not to invest any more time in trying to make sense of the episode.

Rocky F

Second Unit

Well, that was kind of the point. That's what Clark thought as well, but when Davis turned out to still be evil, Clark came to the decision that he couldn't trust his human side either, causing him to embrace his Kryptonian heritage.

I had quite a few problems with the episode myself, but I thought that part mostly worked.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Joining in late, but... Yeah, Doomsday showdown was completely anti-climatic. And I'm in toal agreement that we needed some kind of master shot of the "new?" Watchtower. It's like they just ran out of time and money.

And when we heard that our favorite photog was Henry James Olsen, I turned to my wife and said, the kid must be Jimmy James Olsen!

Weak. And yet I keep tuning into the Adventures of the Red-Blue-Blur.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well finally watched the Seaon finale, it was pretty underwhelming.. the fight was, clark jumps, flys doomsday into a reactor... They kill Jimmy? Well not really Jimmy was'nt "the" jimmy he was Herold.. the real Jimy will be Jimmy in 10 years or so.. fooled ya.. And where did that ring come from that sent Lois to the 31st century.. i missed that... and more whining from CK...I'm kinda happy he's gone what a big whiner.. off to pout about humanity... and was that Zod at the end could'nt really make it out... do we really need Zod now??? Can we wrap this all up please.. overall a great Start but rapidly Downhill after the midway point...

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Thank the good god. You could edit out about half of the show from season 1 to 8, and you might wind up with a great series.

Someone should do a phantom edit on smallville.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I don't much mind that, if it's the whole Thursday block - get Supernatural out of the way of Fringe. Doesn't look to be the case, though.

Everything's gotta go somewhere and every slot has to have an occupant, I guess. It's not a terrible idea - CW shows have minuscule ratings, and they might as well move it away from the sci-fi ABC's putting in the Thursday 8pm slot, and there's not really anything youth-oriented or science-fictional during that hour Friday.

Still, you've got to figure that with its third set of showrunners in three years coming on and a cast that must be just about ready to something else, Smallville has got to be near the end. It's not going to gain more viewers at this point, but also isn't likely to lose many, so putting it on Friday is probably a good low-variance move.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm a little concerned about this since Friday is already a DVR conflicts night for me. Even with Terminator canceled and Flashpoint apparently being dropped from American TV, it may be to the point where I have to record in another room on another DVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks