What's new

Smallville season 8 thread (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Welling's directing was surprisingly okay, but Clark's continual self-righteousness and indignation over the actions of friends has really become boring. The way Clark treats those closest to him (Chloe, Oliver, etc.) is not becoming of the compassionate, heroic figure he is (supposedly) grooming to be. I am sure if Jonathan and Martha were around, they would not be pleased.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Chloe's got a big ol' "I told you so!" comin' to her lol.

Great episode, I actually feel the same as Clark does, killing isn't always the answer to solve a problem whereas Oliver seems to always default his thinking to that when a problem becomes seemingly insurmountable to him, he seems to not even make an attempt at a different option.

Clark's solution was perfect until miss sexy pants (Cassidy Freeman has to be one of televisions top 10 sexiest women) destroyed the crystal. However Clark still has the black K so he can still split Davis and Doomsday apart.

I don't think Jonathan and Martha would be disappointed in Clark at all, as far as I can tell he's upholding their ideals and life lessons quite well, I mean what does one do when everyone around you is saying "you have to kill him, you must kill him, it's the ONLY way!" when you know you have another solution to the problem in mind that they don't want to hear about?

Mercy...

Damn.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The reason that Mercy broke the crystal was quite a surprise. I'm sure there might have been some clues beforehand, but the ending threw me. I guess they will have some more plots for next season.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
For whatever reason, I haven't been "feeling" Smallville for the second half of the season. Too many brainless things going on, especially Chloe's about-face regarding Davis. Let's get Clark in the air, reveal that Lex REALLY isn't dead and leave Smallville once and for all.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Wait. Lex is alive? Oh. I guess you figure he has to be since he's alive to torment Clark as an adult (Superman).

Something's missing from Smallville for me too, but I still watch it. I know you guys think the actress playing Tess is hot, but there's no life in her to me. Even if intentional, she's just this cold character. Oliver has some passion. Even Lex had passion to me. I know Tess is supposed to be the result of the hurtful live she's lived, but every time she comes on screen, things come to a resonating thud for me. Even in those pics above, there's no smile, or even really, any signs of life at all. If you're a downer of a character, then you need to somehow convey intensity if not warmth. Just standing there like a cardboard figurine does nothing for me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I think you nailed it for me, inadvertently. There's no soul to the show anymore. At the core, it was always Lex vs. Clark. Now it's season-long arcs for Doomsday which culminate in Chloe going off half-cocked. The Davis story should have been 13 episodes, maybe less. Condense it and punch it all up.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
no soul since season1 ;). oh schnap :laugh:

ah well. it's still a soapy-soap opera, but with more "heroes" than heroes is.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
They killed Jimmy Olsen? :confused:

The big fight between Clark and Doomsday was an extreme letdown, it was going great and then they go into the Earth and...nothing.

Still, the ending with Clark and Chloe left me heartbroken, to hear him say "Clark Kent is dead." and walk away from her really hurt to hear. :frowning:

I hope that isn't it between them, I mean we all know that Clark is destined to become Superman but that never meant cutting anyone out of his life for good.

It doesn't have to be that way. :frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Remember, Lois is in the 31st century. That could be the reset button for a lot of things. Either she'll save Jimmy, or this was the way of making Jimmy younger than Clark and Lois by having his kid brother become Jimmy.

I don't think Clark is done with Chloe for good. This is like when Peter Parker threw away his Spidey costume, only in reverse. He'll give it a try for a little while and then come to realize he is Clark Kent first and foremost. He'll possibly explore his roots a little and we'll see him back with Kara, searching for Kandor. He could probably use another Kryptonian on his side now that Zod is here.

Unless I missed something, they really should have done a skyline reveal of Chloe's new pad. Hearing, "I can look up and see this place anywhere in the city" is no substitute for showing us what that means.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Why in the world do I expect anything from this show anymore? Its reset buttons are so completely obvious at this point, as are what passes for plot logic and action sequences.

I knew this Doomsday thing was a mistake when it was first announced. There's no way a television show-especially one on the CW-could do it right. Not to the level of the comic. All I kept thinking during the "showdown" was how godawful the creature looked.

The first half of the year was so freaking good, too. It all spiraled out of control when Lana showed up....and never recovered.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna rename this episode "Doomsdud" because nothing really coalesced all that well.

The "Justice League" ended up far too inconsequential in execution. Oliver over-stepped his bounds.

The fight was over far too quick. Did Clark "jump" all the way back to Luthor's geothermal facility?

As soon as Jimmy found out Clark's secret, well, the handwriting's on the wall! LOL! Glad they introduced a Jimmy Olsen that would be more age-appropriate in the overall scheme of things (plus, the kid could have actually have the first name of "James" while Jimmy had Henry as his first name, so it's still weirdly possible that the kid turns into the Jimmy Olsen that we "know" from comic lore.

Lois, come back! The 21st century needs you!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Just read an interview with Aaron Ashmore over on EW about fake Jimmy and the whole thing.

See, just like the Legion ring, this is a reset button. Clark comes out to Jimmy in a good scene and, because it would screw with the universe, Jimmy HAS to die. Lois reads Clark's little essay so she HAS to disappear. Just like the ep earlier in the year where Clark outs himself to everyone and then goes back in time to change it.

It's high time for Clark to fly, for the Justice League to be more than freaking morons (seriously...couldn't the show spring for Cyborg and Aquaman in addition to Canary and Impulse?) and for Lex to come back. Yes, I'm still on that.

Smallville wants to go dark as it often has in the last couple of years, but rarely has the guts to go all out, like The Dark Knight or even X2. It still has to play nice and safe for the TV audience.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was quite disappointed there. Chloe was there crying, but not crying enough to save him, though. I was really hoping she'd use her tear power on him. Jimmy had turned back into an interesting character again!

The whole Davis/Doomsday plot was a giant disappointment.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Are we sure Chloe has that power anymore? It's hard to believe she wouldn't use it if she had it.

]
That makes sense given that it's a TV show.

Anyway, there's nothing about the finale I liked. Actually, there was something, because I had the reminder in my head to come here and say I liked the last 5 minutes of the episode, but by the time I got here, I couldn't remember anything in the last 5 minutes I liked.

Oh wait. Despite everything else that went on, almost 100% of which I didn't like, I liked that Clark got serious about his destiny. Not that I liked the cold Clark, but it's time he realized that sometimes taking the high road ends up costing more. I don't see Green Arrow as the bad guy. He's definitely darker than Clark, but his goal is to protect humanity. Really not much different from a law enforcement officer or soldier.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Not really. BSG did it to great effect. 24 is perpetually dark. Smallville isn't capable of having the show bright and shiny along with dark and brooding. The writers aren't good enough nor are the actors. They're so busy trying to make everyone happy that no one ends up happy.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
That was terrible. I'm with Jason - the season was going great until the Lana episodes, which re-hased prior seasons, then after Lana took off again the season never got back on track. It meandered aimlessly for the last few episodes culminating in this disappointing hash-up. Bringing Doomsday in was an idea on par with Lana-as-witch. Doomsday is the ultimate enemy Superman faces in later life! Why are they bringing future story-lines to this time era? And the fight with Doomsday? Ha. Lois and Tess did better.

Where the heck is Chloe's new pad? How did Jimmy afford such a place? How's Chloe going to pay the mortgage? :) Wait, they're not married so it goes to Jimmy's estate... umm yeah OK. Hard to see how Chloe will ever get to use it.

Jimmy's not Jimmy? Huh? WTF? So confusing.

More confusion right at the end. Is that Zod? I had no idea until reading this thread. Some finale. Just left me wondering, "Er... Wha?" instead of, "Oh no, can't wait to find out what happens next!" Didn't we already do a Zod season? I remember it could have been awesome but they wrapped it up with barely a whimper in a one episode season opener.

Guy from the future tells Clark he's going to die tomorrow, but... nobody does anything special to prevent that future (like using the time-travel ring on Doomsday), so what happened?

Music was great this episode. Writing has been rubbish ever since Lana's return :frowning: I have no problem with the actors, they can only do so much with the material they're given.

That was a season finale? It was no better than a mid-season filler.

At this point if they brought back Lana it might actually improve the show. But please don't.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

The ring was reintroduced in order to get Lois into the future, which won't pay off until next season. I don't think that was a manipulation because she had read the letter, to answer someone else above. It didn't identify Clark in any way. We have no idea where they're going with Lois at the moment. It'd be awesome if she missed the 31st century and ended up in the 25th and somehow brings Booster Gold back with her.

Why Chloe didn't save Jimmy is a good question. Either she lost her power, or she was all, "You walked away from our marriage? Take this!"

The show not being dark enough. I don't agree with that at all. Maybe they don't do it well, but every damn thing on this show has to be dark. They bring Margo Kidder in. Should be a fun, magical moment. But, no. They make her a psycho murderer. They bring in Marc McClure. Again, a chance for a fun, light cameo, but they have him killed by Brainiac. Any opportunity they get for a connection to DC comics or past Superman media and they have to make it sick and twisted.

That said, I had a much more positive reaction to yesterday's episode than anyone here. The Doomsday fight was stupid, but I was enjoying the rest.

This Justice League is terrible, though. They're afraid of the real costumes, but what they are in is infinitely more embarrassing. And, Black Canary just looks awful. She's alright when she's Dinah, but BC is supposed to be beautiful but here she's just kind of gross. I've mentioned it before, I think, but she looks for all the world like Navin's biker girlfriend from The Jerk.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
A couple of questions:

1) Who was the guy in the Tess torture video? And how did he know about the orb?

2) Where did this orb come from? I remember a crystal Tess was trying to figure out, but not an orb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks