What's new

Smallville Season 4 thread (1 Viewer)

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
When I first watched the epidsode, something felt weird about the credits. Now I've gone back and looked at them again and I see whats the problem. In the place where Chloe should be in the credits, they have a bunch of SFX shots from season 2,3, and 4.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Not me. The WB out of Indy didn't broadcast it in widescreen, and it almost seemed cropped on the fly...because half of the WB logo was cut off on the bottom right.

They did this with Angel for the last 5 or 6 episodes last season. The first episode they screwed up went from 16x9 to 4x3 during the last commercial break. Strange and upsetting.

...but at least the DVDs are all anamorphic :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's definitely widescreen for SD at the WB level, if not the affiliate level. The Rochester affiliate aired it widescreen, and it was the first Smallville I'd seen in this fashion. Of course, I was watching the Albany affiliate before so I can't make a valid comparison.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member

I'd complain to the network. They're generally not fond of affiliates pulling this crap.

Ever since season 2, all the promos, recaps, etc have been in widescreen. I've been saying for two years that if they want a widescreen show, they should just start airing it widescreen and get rid of those annoying framing compromises. I think someone finally listened to me.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I too enjoyed it. Exciting from start to finish. It should be interesting to see where they take things but they Do seem to be on the right track.

Before Dark Angel he was Eric Brady on Days of Our Lives for a few years.
I think he'll be a great addition as well as Darance.

All the good genre programs are gone but it's nice to know we still have this one.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I loved this episode, but UI thought the moments between lana and her new boyfriend were boring. I did like Lois Lane. This is the best Lois Lane yet!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I hope they go with my idea where Chloe was disfigured in the explosion, so now she wears a mask and she lives under the school and publishes a literal underground paper.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Great episode. Awesome start to a new season. Lois is awesome. Clark flying is awesome. Good times.

What a crap review, but whatever, its late and I just want to get to bed.

Britton

Screenwriter
I gave up on this show last season, but I watched yesterday and Lois Lane will keep my coming back. I like the fact that she's very erratic. She's only been in 1 episode and I find her way more personable than Lana. Definitely the type of girl you'd want to hang out with. The scene where she visited Martha at the Kent farm had me chuckling quite a bit.

I thought the introduction of Jensen Ackles was a pretty cheesy though. [sarcasm]I had no idea when they ran into each other that the girl he kept referring to was Lana[/sarcasm]. I'm not too big on the guy right now, but I think it's because he's part of Lana's plot.

All in all, I'll keep watching it. It's just too bad that Erica Durance isn't a regular cast member. Just get to Metropolis already so she can be there every week! :)

ToddS

Stunt Coordinator
Is there going to be a repeat showing? I completely forgot that this show was starting and I am kicking myself for it.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Between that and the scene in the cornfield, I was sold on Welling as Superman. I would have cut him a check and given him the tights right there.

I WAS hoping that Chloe was dead. I really was. I thought it would have been a great way to shake up the show.

The Black Kryptonite sequence really messed with me too, because they never explained what it would do, it was just a Deus ex Machina plot device. The first 3/4 of this episode was brilliant, the exposition at the end started to get tedious, but there are a lot of great moments set up that I can't wait to see pay off.

I'm in for this season, not that there was any question, and will tune in every Wednesday at 7pm, come hell or high water.

The only thing that started to get old were the asides tossed into the script, like Margo Kidder refering to the past, the wink-wink moments about the blanket and "I'm more the glasses type" line from Lois, and the scene with the radar, even though it made me chuckle, seemed a little too much. But overall, I applaud this show. Wonderfully done.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

He's getting better, but I still don't think it is good for the movie franchise to carry the baggage of being associated with a TV show.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

You mean like Star Trek? ;) I think it would be fine to do that. People who are fans of Superman the charachter will go see it regardless of who is playing the lead role. This is obvious from the Batman films. Besides, Welling is by far the best I've seen batted around for the role so far. No one is going to go "damn, that Smallville kid is Superman, I'm out" and not go. If they do, to bad for them because they will miss a hell of a movie with Singer at the helm.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am in the camp that thinks that Warner Brothers should give Welling "The Cape."

Maybe I missed something this episode or last season but why is Kal-El so Unlike Superman, serious and out for himself?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Because in this incarnation, Jor-El is a bad guy, and Kal-El was programmed by bad-guy Jor-El.
Unlike the comics where Superman is the concentration and Smallville is the exposition, Smallville concentrates on the coming of age, and the clash between his two heritages provides a driving force to make the final incarnation as Superman both more powerful for the struggle and create a driving momentum to support the series; the straight forward approach of the comics and the movie would have quickly run out of steam over the course of four years.

They did NOT alter the persona of Clark Kent for the show, however. It is Clark that becomes Superman, not Kal-El (though some of Kidder's lines from last night through even that into doubt)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

A different take from the movies and comics, and they haven't stated that Kal-El is supposed to go on a crusade to help or hurt the people of Earth, but to me that looks like the route the show is going with that particular arc.
Just my .02

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator

I noticed that too. My take is that they didn't want to give away the fact the Chloe is still alive until the end. If she was in the opening credits, then it wouldn't of had the same effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks