What's new

Smallville - New Season (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The way I look at Smallville is they took every single other superman type idea (film/series/comic/etc.) and stuck it all in a blender.

It can't really fit into any of the other versions because there's something a little different than all of them. It's like a hybrid. I was simply mentioning that the idea itself was thought up a long time ago.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The way I look at Smallville is they took every single other superman type idea (film/series/comic/etc.) and stuck it all in a blender.
That's a great description. It has a quite a bit of respect for Superman continuity, but only so as to pick the bits and pieces that work best. By starting from the being they've been able to formulate a telling of the Superman mythos that is particularly suited to live action. I wouldn't be surprised to see the comics of years to come to borrow the best bits and pieces from Smallville. That's what's great about the character, he deepens and updates and grows throughout the year so as to create a telling of the mythology that is one step better than the version before it.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Lex and Clark definitely need to give into their homoerotic feelings. Now that would be an interesting twist and one you havent seen thrown into the blender before.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Just thought I'd bump this back up in anticipation of Wednesday's premiere. I haven't seen much in the way of out-of-WB advertising, so I'm starting to worry that the date change hasn't gotten out to the general public.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about you, Justin, but the WB in the DC area has promoting the hell out of it. Buses with huge "Smallville on Wednesday" banners, a bunch of commercials on the local affiliate, even a billboard. I'm sure there will be plenty of reminders in the days to come on your WB station.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, if you watch the WB at all for anything other than Smallville, you should've been bombarded by ads.

They we're pretty cool ones too: They featured a nameless Daily Planet reporter who was investigating a mysterious thug that's "leaping ... buildings in a single bound."

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Yeah, but that would violate one of my wife's preferences. She likes Clark with as little clothes as possible, but Lex in as nice as clothes as possible. Although I don't think she'd totally object to it. ;)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
"Oh come on...I'm sure we'd all agree to look past the Buffy/Angel connection for some action like that..."

We would?

I'd rather have Superman with Lang. That actress is sssssmokin'! Or Lang and Lane in a mud wrestling/cat fight. Giggidygiggidygiggidy! Oh yeah! (sorry for my Family Guy rip off).

The thing that didn't get me hooked on Smallville was they seemed to push too much of a Dawson's Creek, 7th Heaven, etc. type of vapid, angst feel onto an epic, adult story line. IMHO

At least The X-Files (in its prime) didn't do as much pandering to the teen crowd.

Dan

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I actually don't watch this show very much, but when I do catch it, I'm usually pretty impressed. I'm going to try to watch it this season.

At any rate, I have a theory on what might contribute to Lex's complete turning. A few weeks ago they re-ran the episode where he proposes to his girlfriend:

The scene seemed kind of bittersweet, and I thought, "She's dead." That could be something that would set Lex off. Then I noticed that the song playing over the scene was a very melancholy cover of "Don't Fear the Reaper." :eek: I thought, "Whoa, she is dead." Could that be some foreshadowing there?

I may be totally off, but if that's the case, that was a cool way to hint at it.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Kristin Kreuk was on "live" just now, and she just gets better looking evey year.

Anybody else see it??

Brent

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Did you see the season finale?

If not:Being betrayed by his fiance and left to die in a crashing plane may have a small bit to do with it.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I think the Lex they are building is a person who isn't intentionally evil, just a person who thinks he's doing right, thinks he's doing good but is actually doing people harm--much like his Father. They're obssessed with 'empires' and 'rulers.' There's not going to be a switch that makes him evil.

On a related note, while going through the first season DVD my wife (who's a costume designer) noticed that they often dress Lex in shades of purple. It's obvious why Clark has red and blue quite a bit, but I never thought of purple as a signature color for Lex. I'm pretty sure he wears purple in 'Superfriends' but can't remember much about how he dressed in the comics. Did he, does he wear a lot of purple?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
In old, pre-Crisis comics I believe Lex had a purple body armor suit he wore. Hasn't been used much since John Byrne made Lex a corporate titan, but it's occasionally referenced visually.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I think Gene Hackman was the best Lex Luthor. :emoji_thumbsup:

MISS TESSMACHER!!!!! :)

Nasty and arrogant, but wacky too.

Dan

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'm bummed. My local WB is not showing an encore, like they did last season on Sunday evenings. This makes it more difficult to tape both Smallville and Enterprise, with them being opposite each other. I still think this is the dumbest move either network has made. Why risk each show going up against the other and cutting into the ratings.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sorry to double-post, but no "EDIT" button.

I tape both shows to time-shift them. Then we watch them at some other time in the week, when we don't or can't spend as much time watching something as long as most movies. Like maybe one night we'll watch a movie with dinner, then still a little too early to go to bed, so we'll watch the latest episode of Enterprise, 40-45 mins later, (and no commercials :D) we're done.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The WB (on a national level) is going with Easy View encore repeats of Everwood and One Tree Hill on Sunday, with episodes of Smallville Season 1 round out the 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. block on Sunday.

Why push One Tree Hill? I have no idea (I watched last night's episode, and it wasn't all that good).

That being said, the commercials for the upcoming season of Smallville have me psyched about this season as it does seem to ratchet up the intensity and emergence of the struggle within Clark and Lex to harness their abilities and resources for what lies ahead of their destinies.

Can't believe Chloe has even shorter hair this season.

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
Does Green K become ineffective when Clark is under the influence of Red K? The Kents should have just picked up some in Smallville to subdue Clark and remove the Red K ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks